Installing Total Studio 2 MAX Sound Content

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Installing Total Studio 2 MAX Sound Content

Postby sheepraider » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:34 pm

Hello everybody,

I recently bought the pack for a fairly good price, but in terms of installing I'm a little bit lost. I know that this is the 1000th installation process complaining thread, but I found no answer to my questions in the other 999. To don't annoy anyone, I try to structure my questions as good as I can.

1) What did I already find out:
  • I'm obliged to download all sound content (ST3/4, MP, SYNTR) and extract the *.zip to specific folders each. I likely should NOT extract the *.zip files to a single folder, overwriting the "Install [Product] Sound Content.exe" each, even if they seem to be identical to each other bitwise and by creation date.
  • I should then (of course after installing the apps and set the content path) execute every of the 100+ *.exe installers, taking care of the order, content first, then updaters.
  • Things might break, installers might not know where the content should be copied to.

2) What I want to know:
  • If the installers just copy content to the respective paths, why shouldn't I just extract the *.zip files there?
  • If the "Install [Product] Sound Content.exe" seem to be identical to each other, why shouldn't I merge the *.zip files into one folder, keep the newest *.exe installer and run this?
  • Any suggestions concerning order? Thinking about installing/starting apps, updating paths, installing/seaching content, installing ST3/4 content first and so on.
  • What am I recommended to keep as a backup after the 180 days period?
  • When I want to move the library or reinstall my system with new hardware, should I repeat the process or can I just keep the content and point to it from the respective plugins?
  • When I got the very product range of Total Studio 2 MAX right now, which products I should not install? (Guessing: ST3 app, because ST4 app sufficient, ST3CS lib, because included in ST3MAX, but ST4CS lib may include things not included in ST4SE, Syntronik Free lib might not be in Syntronic Standard)
  • Do I run into any problems if I don't install the entire content at once and start the apps in between?
  • Do I do myself any harm, if I'd install Syntronik libraries to a "Syntronik" sub directory? Why is in installed in ST3?

3) What problems I ran into:
  • I just started like the other threads told me. Started with ST3 sound content. Of the 8 parts, four installed correctly (2, 3, 6, 8), the other four failed because they where unable to copy the instruments. As far as I can examine, these instruments where copied anyway, but in Windows installers I never know what magic they wanted to spell on my system.

I would really appreciate your help.

Kind regards,
Johannes
sheepraider

Re: Installing Total Studio 2 MAX Sound Content

Postby DarkStar » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:10 am

sheepraider wrote:I'm obliged to download all sound content (ST3/4, MP, SYNTR) and extract the *.zip to specific folders each. I likely should NOT extract the *.zip files to a single folder, overwriting the "Install [Product] Sound Content.exe" each, even if they seem to be identical to each other bitwise and by creation date.

Confirmed - personally I would download them all, then extract and install them one at a time.

sheepraider wrote:I should then (of course after installing the apps and set the content path) execute every of the 100+ *.exe installers, taking care of the order, content first, then updaters.

Confirmed. IK Multimedia is working on an download / installation manager but no release date is know.

sheepraider wrote:Things might break, installers might not know where the content should be copied to.

The installers should pick up the library install location correctly. If you have seen that not happening, please raise a Support Ticket to report the issue.

sheepraider wrote:2) What I want to know:
If the installers just copy content to the respective paths, why shouldn't I just extract the *.zip files there?

It is just as easy to run the installer. I am not 100% sure that an extract is sufficient.

sheepraider wrote:If the "Install [Product] Sound Content.exe" seem to be identical to each other, why shouldn't I merge the *.zip files into one folder, keep the newest *.exe installer and run this?

I do not know if those .exes are identical.

sheepraider wrote:Any suggestions concerning order? Thinking about installing/starting apps, updating paths, installing/seaching content, installing ST3/4 content first and so on.

One product at a time. Software first, then set the library location in the standalone program, then the sounds library (in numerical order, to make it easier to keep track of progress, and, as mentioned above, one sounds library download at a time.

sheepraider wrote:What am I recommended to keep as a backup after the 180 days period?

IK Multimedia recommends that you keep all the downloads. Personally, I have backed up the installed libraries. But, of ocurse, that takes a bit more disk space.

sheepraider wrote:When I want to move the library or reinstall my system with new hardware, should I repeat the process or can I just keep the content and point to it from the respective plugins?

You can move the installed content and just repoint at it in the programs' Preferences. For reinstallation you can copy it (from the back-up?) and set the Preferences suitably.

sheepraider wrote:When I got the very product range of Total Studio 2 MAX right now, which products I should not install? (Guessing: ST3 app, because ST4 app sufficient, ST3CS lib, because included in ST3MAX, but ST4CS lib may include things not included in ST4SE, Syntronik Free lib might not be in Syntronic Standard)

I cannot recall exactly what is in TS2 MAX, but I would install ST3 - it can Import legacy (ST2 and older Expansion) libraries; ST4 cannot. Import the instruments and Multis using ST3, then add the ST3 sounds library path into ST4's Preferences. I am pretty sure that the ST3 CS, ST4 CS and Synthronik Free libraries are in the other editions. (That's where you could UnZip them and double-check.)

sheepraider wrote:Do I run into any problems if I don't install the entire content at once and start the apps in between?

Not really, some Multis may want as-yet-not-installed instruments

sheepraider wrote:Do I do myself any harm, if I'd install Syntronik libraries to a "Syntronik" sub directory? Why is in installed in ST3?

Not harm, but confusion. The Syntronik library is designed to be installed into the ST3 library (as does MP2), so that ST3 can load its own instruments and the Syntronik instruments. The software products use the same pointer to the sounds library. if you installed Syntronik somewhere-else then ST3 would not see its own instruemnts and you would be changing the Preference Settings regularly.

sheepraider wrote:3) What problems I ran into:
[*]I just started like the other threads told me. Started with ST3 sound content. Of the 8 parts, four installed correctly (2, 3, 6, 8), the other four failed because they where unable to copy the instruments. As far as I can examine, these instruments where copied anyway, but in Windows installers I never know what magic they wanted to spell on my system.

Please report the details to Technical Support for some one to one guidance. Raise a Support Ticket, here for some one to one investigation and help (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally). Response time is usually within 2 working days, but in the current circumstances please cut them some slack.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Re: Installing Total Studio 2 MAX Sound Content

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:46 pm

... any news?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar