Import legacy ST2 sounds into ST4 possible??? [Resolved]

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Import legacy ST2 sounds into ST4 possible??? [Resolved]

Postby LtKojak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:09 pm

I own Sample Tank 2.5XL with all expansion libraries.

So, would be possible to install and use'em in Sample Tank 4 CS?

If yes, can somebody point me to the process of doing so?

Thanking in advance,

Yours very truly,

Pepe Bloise
Milano, Italy
LtKojak

Re: Import legacy ST2 sounds into ST4 possible???

Postby DarkStar » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Well, I'm slightly confused. The ST4 CS User manual says "Compatible with all previous “Powered by SampleTank” sound modules and sounds (can import all previous sounds and Combis)" but I do not think that that is the case.

At your own risk, you could try adding the path to the ST2 library to ST4 CS's Preference Settings / Sound Content list to see if that works. I doubt it, but let us know.

Failing that you will need to install SampleTank 3 (from the SampleTank Custom Shop, v3.7.3 in your My Products area), Import the ST2 instruments into the St3 library. Then add the ST3 library path to ST4 CS's Preference Settings / Sound Content list.
Last edited by DarkStar on Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed part of advice
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby LtKojak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:21 pm

DarkStar wrote:Well, I'm slightly confused. The ST4 CS User manual says "Compatible with all previous “Powered by SampleTank” sound modules and sounds (can import all previous sounds and Combis)" but I do not think that that is the case.

You could try adding the path to the ST2 library to ST4 CS's Preference Settings / Sound Content list to see if that works. I doubt it, but let us know.

Failing that you will need to install SampleTank 3 (from the SampleTank Custom Shop, v3.7.3 in your My Products area), Import the ST2 instruments into the St3 library. Then add the ST3 library path to ST4 CS's Preference Settings / Sound Content list.

I too think the latter option is the most probable, but I'd like to hear it from somebody that did it and works as it should... or not? And to be pointed out to some kind of tutorial somewhere, if it exists at all. After all, I should to install ST2 from scratch, install all modules, then install ST3 and import the modules, then install ST 4 and do all over again... and TBH, I don't even think it's actually possible to install all three versions at the same time, so it's a lot of work and I'll be challenges with many obstacles, pitfalls and opportunities for the Murphy's Law to strike, I must assume.

Any takers?
Last edited by LtKojak on Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LtKojak

Postby DarkStar » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:26 pm

I just tried adding an ST2 library path (to a few instruments) and ST4 CS just sat there "Analysing database". So don't try it.

Go the ST3 Import route, that what I did some time ago, and the legacy instruments all show up in ST4 CS.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby LtKojak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:40 pm

DarkStar wrote:Go the ST3 Import route, that what I did some time ago, and the legacy instruments all show up in ST4 CS.

Duly noted, DarkStar; and thank you very much for your response.

BTW, any step-by-step tutorial out there about doing this?

Pretty please...?
LtKojak

Postby DarkStar » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Google this: SampleTank 3 Import youtube

ST3 User Manual, 33.1. "Import Legacy Instruments"
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby LtKojak » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:27 am

Ok. Got it, DarkStar.

Thank you very much again!

Yours very truly,

Pepe Bloise
Milano, Italy
LtKojak

Postby grem » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:17 pm

Thanks for asking this LTKojak. I am about to install all my IK Total Studio MAX stuff on my new PC I just built.

I have Total Studio from long ago that included ST2 XL with all the extra synths and sounds. SO I am wanting to get all this into ST4.

Darkstar, do you think that if I just unzipped all the ST2 XL sounds into a folder and import that into ST3 without installing the actual ST2 XL program, you think that would work?
grem

Postby DarkStar » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:48 pm

I reckon so.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby grem » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:42 pm

I had to end up installing ST2. The sounds wouldn't install correctly if not.
grem

Postby DarkStar » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:05 pm

Did you install the ST2 sounds? If so, the installer would need to know where to install them (and that I think is set up by the ST2 software installer). I thought you were just going to unzip them and go from there.

Anyway, now you can Import the ST2 sounds (and Combis) into ST3's library. Check that all is OK in ST3. If so, then you can delete the ST2 sounds library and uninstall ST2, to recover some disk space.

it would be worth backing up the libraries to an external disk, so you do not have to do this again.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby grem » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:49 am

That's what I did Darkstar. Just like you said in your recent post. Installed ST2, with the sounds, and then imported them into ST3. All is working. I just checked.

Was coming here to ask if there would be a problem to uninstall ST2 and all it's sounds because I was able to install ST2 on my sample drive, but the sounds/samples still got installed on C:\ Back then I guess you didn't have a choice.

Anyway, thanks for the follow up. That sure helped me claim a lot of space back on my M.2 sys drive!!

And I got all my wonderful Omnisynth, SampleArp, and the Vocal Collection!

I'm a happy camper!

Again DarkStar, thanks for tha follow up response!!
grem

Postby DarkStar » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:38 pm

Good oh :)

As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
  • Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More