B3X: How to set up two 49key controllers?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

B3X: How to set up two 49key controllers?

Postby amplitubenielson » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:51 pm

Hi all, I need to set up two different Nektar 49 key controllers to serve as upper and lower manuals for B3X. Is this just as simple as assigning the upper key controller to midi ch 1, and the lower to midi ch 2? Or is there more to it?

I’m using Windows 10, Apollo x6 and Pro Tools 11. (I’ve got the controllers recognized and set up just fine in PT at the moment.)

Thank you for any help!!
amplitubenielson

Re: B3X: How to set up two 49key controllers?

Postby garfy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:39 pm

Hi amplitubenielson and welcome to the forums.

Yes, it's that simple. As long as there are no other (possibly unknown) MIDI filters running it should work as you expect it to.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Re: B3X: How to set up two 49key controllers?

Postby amplitubenielson » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:42 pm

Garfy, thanks very much!

I'm halfway there now but still have a problem. Because I'm more experienced with Studio One 4.5 Pro, i'm using that DAW to diagnose this issue now, instead of PT 11.

At the moment, I've got my 2 controllers up and recognized by S1 as both keyboards and controllers. My Nektar T4 is midi ch 1, the Nektar LX49+ is midi ch 2. Also, in the ext connections menu of S1, I have the midi channels for each keyboard set ONLY to the channel for that keyboard ... in other words, I'm not selecting "All Channels" for each keyboard. (Although I have tried that, and I still have the below problem.)

Once I'm in the B3X plugin, and I'm in the settings, I made sure the Upper Manual/Keyboard is set to midi ch 1, and the lower is set to midi ch 2. So, the T4 should play the top keyboard and the LX+ should play the bottom one.

At the moment, both keyboards will play notes through B3X ... but they both play on the upper keyboard!!! I've tried everything I can think of to make sure the LX+ plays only the lower keyboard. The only thing I can think of is that maybe S1 will not allow multiple channel inputs going to one track/instance of B3X. Could that be it?

Btw, the exact same thing happens in PT 11, now. Both keyboards play the upper keyboard, which is set to midi ch 1.

But I've got the LX+ keyboard set to midi ch 2!!!

Any thoughts on the solution? Should I create another track but only use midi ch 2 on that track and see if that's how I must handle this moving forward? I'm seriously on my way to the microwave now - this may be the day I fit my head in and turn it on.

Final note - when I use the standalone B3X version, they work perfectly: my top keyboard controller plays the B3 upper manual and my bottom one plays the lower manual ...

Thanks sincerely for any advice.
amplitubenielson

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More