Hammond B-3X and Cantabile host

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Hammond B-3X and Cantabile host

Postby c-paolo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi,

I'm trying the Hammond B-3X, it seems not a very heavy plugin for the CPU, in fact I have not troubles using my DAWs (Reaper and Cubase). I am evaluating the use of the Hammond for live, using the Cantabile 3 as host. It's a very well done host for live use (the only, after Forte discontinued). I have few VSTs running into Cantabile: Synthogy Ivory II piano, Kontakt and Reaktor mainly (I perform Pink Floyd music).
Yesterday I installed the Hammond B-3X, and noticed lots of "cracks and pops" indicating somehow latency troubles. The weird thing is that Windows task manager display a 20% average CPU load. I wrote to Cantabile's developer, I guess he'll reply "sorry, I don't know what Hammond B-3X is". That's because he's a VB-3 fan, I think :(
So, if someone here knows or use Cantabile, I hope in a wise advice.
Thanks.
Paolo

About my PC: HP Zbook 15 G2, i7-4910MQ 2.9GHz, 20GB ram, 256GB PCI-e system SSD + 1TB SATA SSD for libraries. Of course Windows 10 is optimized for real-time audio
c-paolo

Re: Hammond B-3X and Cantabile host

Postby westfinch » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:11 pm

I guess he'll reply "sorry, I don't know what Hammond B-3X is". That's because he's a VB-3 fan, I think :(

Brad at Cantabile is very dedicated, and will reply to you. You are making childish statements having no basis, which is very sad since you received no reply yet. I am a long time member of the Cantabile forum, and there are many great, friendly, knowledgeable people who will help you. I can probably tell you what your problem is, but I prefer to do it at the Cantabile forum, which where you will get the most help. It is a friendly forum, so please approach it as such, not as you did here.
westfinch

Postby c-paolo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:27 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I wrote to Brad attaching the logs. It seems the B-X3 is not so light, because "Time Load" in Cantabile is about 25% with over 200% peaks. Better results when the GUI is not dispayed. Sadly, I think I need a more powerful PC. Anyway, I'll post the question to the Cantabile forum too.
About my sentence, I'm sorry, but I was just kidding. I posted here 'cause I think the trouble is in the B-X3, not in Cantabile. And I know that Brad is a very kind person.
Paolo
c-paolo

Postby westfinch » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 pm

I run B3-X with much less computer than you. If you are running Ivory, Kontakt and Reaktor at the same time with B3-X, you may be overtaxing CPU. I have no idea what audio driver you are using, but it sounds like your buffers need adjusting. Also, in Cantabile, you can assign one of the buttons at the bottom of the page to display CPU load. There is also a resource monitor in Cantabile you can run to find the culprit. As I said, Cantabile forum would be the best place to discuss this. B3-X uses more resources than other Hammond clones. I cannot run B3-X with many of the fx it supplies, because it causes cpu overload in my computer. If I have a need for fx, I use 3rd party vsts that do the job without taxing the cpu. Turn off your fx and check it. Also, if you max out any controls on the Leslie page, it will also overload cpu. Thus, the crackling and such. I really believe your buffers need adjusting tho. I would need more info before actually nailing it down. Just hit the Cantabile forum, and we can go from there.
westfinch

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More