Does SampleTank 4 Support Multithreading?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Does SampleTank 4 Support Multithreading?

Postby jmgsky » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:54 am

I use SampleTank 3 at the moment and have a project in Cakewalk with 14 MIDI tracks. For years I've always opened one instance of ST3 and routed all MIDI tracks to it on different channels. I recently upgraded my PC to an i9 processor, 32GB of memory and 14 threads. Now I get severe crackling using 1024 samples or less, total drop out at 128. My interface is an RME Aio on Pci card.

If I load different instances of ST3 - counter intuitive as it is multi-timbral - I can go down to 256 samples with four instances, and no crackling.

I was wondering if ST4 supports multi-threading in which case I shall probably upgrade.
jmgsky

Re: Does SampleTank 4 Support Multithreading?

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:49 pm

When using SampleTank 4 in a DAW, the software will listen to the instructions from the host-program. Depending on the DAW, this can take advantage of multiple cores.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby jmgsky » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:12 pm

This conflicts with what the technical people at Cakewalk have told me. They say the sampler should cater for multi-core processing and that as ST3 does not then the only work around is to open enough separate instances to make my PC employ different cores. Using only one instance and loading many samples into the different channels causes the CPU to process things in serial rather than parallel mode. I understand Kontakt caters for multiprocessing.
jmgsky

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:14 pm

jmgsky wrote:This conflicts with what the technical people at Cakewalk have told me. They say the sampler should cater for multi-core processing and that as ST3 does not then the only work around is to open enough separate instances to make my PC employ different cores. Using only one instance and loading many samples into the different channels causes the CPU to process things in serial rather than parallel mode. I understand Kontakt caters for multiprocessing.

I'm sorry for any confusion, but I was referring to SampleTank 4. I would need to look into the older SampleTank 3 software separately.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby jmgsky » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:47 pm

Many thanks Ryan. I'd be very interested indeed to hear if the ST4/ST3 engines differ in this respect. Upgrading to ST4 could be well worth it for me if I could use just one instance of it without having to whack up my soundcard's samples!

John
jmgsky

Postby DarkStar » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:12 pm

Just to complicate things - As I understand it, ST4 has 2 engines - one for the ST4 instruments and one for the ST3 instruments (including older ones Imported into ST3). So there are three scenarios:
    -- ST4 instruments in ST4
    -- ST3 instruments in ST4
    -- ST3 instruments in ST3
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby jmgsky » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:32 pm

Thanks Darkstar, the plot thickens! :shock: :lol:
jmgsky

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More