Help! Cakewalk and Philharmonik 2 - No Sound? [Resolved]

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Help! Cakewalk and Philharmonik 2 - No Sound? [Resolved]

Postby rboyer3k » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:15 am

Trying to get back into music after a 10+ year absence, so please forgive me if I seem a bit clueless here... but here's my situation:

MP2 installed fine, loads in Cakewalk by Bandlab fine... within the MP2 window, I can choose instruments, play them on the little keyboard.. whatever I want... but within Cakewalk itself, I get nothing but silence.

I have a project open, then "Insert Instrument", then in the popup I select Philharmonik 2 for the "Instrument", then for input I select a virtual controller MIDI channel... like 11 or whatever... and then like I said, the MP2 interface pops up and I can pick a track, load an instrument on track 11, hear it, edit it, etc... but then I go to "piano roll" in Cakewalk to stick some notes on my track, and it's completely silent.

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if I'm doing something really stupid wrong here.
rboyer3k

Re: Help! Cakewalk and Philharmonik 2 - No Sound?

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:24 pm

Hello rboyer3k and welcome to the forum and welcome back to music. :)

As you have seen each instrument slot in MP2 is mapped to a particular MIDI channel (11 in your example). To use the piano roll in Cakewalk to trigger that loaded instrument you will need to make sure that the piano roll notes are on MIDI channel 11 too. (When an instrument slot receives a MID note, its channel indicator will be highlighted.

The Cakewalk User Guide should explain how to do that.

Or another Cakewalk user many chime in.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby rboyer3k » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:00 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I'll dig into that. The piano roll view is specific to each track though, showing me the MIDI events of that track, and therefore that channel... so I'm not sure where a separate setting would be... but maybe I'm just missing it.

Some instruments, like the SI-bass, I just leave the MIDI channel as "omni" and it plays fine. I have addictive keys, virtual guitarist iron, and several others, all play just fine like this... just insert instrument, leave input as "omni" and output as "master", a new track appears, and it works perfect. MP2 doesn't seem to work that way though... since it has multiple tracks and appears to need a MIDI channel assigned and matched to each. I suspect this is where the issue is... where I'm doing something wrong... but I can't find it. I've read all the documentation I can find, and so far haven't found a solution. I'll keep digging!
rboyer3k

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:55 pm

----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby rboyer3k » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:43 pm

Ya know... I read through those exact things already, but this time something clicked. I see now what I was doing wrong, and now it's working perfectly! Thank you!!
rboyer3k

Re: Help! Cakewalk and Philharmonik 2 - No Sound? [Resolved]

Postby DarkStar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:51 pm

Good oh! :)

As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
  • Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More