Syntronik and SampleTank 3 resetting each other's disk paths

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Syntronik and SampleTank 3 resetting each other's disk paths

Postby simoncroft » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:54 pm

First question here. Apologies if it's already been answered and I missed it.

Every time I open up SampleTank 3, the path has been reset so it loads the Syntronik library. So, I reset it to the SampleTank library. But when I open up Syntronik, it loads the SampleTank library. So I reset it to the Syntronik library... but when I open up Sample Tank...

Both libraries are on the same (non-system) drive but in separate folders. I'm running the current versions of both IK products an a Mac Pro. I'm pretty certain the problem started when I upgraded the OS to 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

I suppose I could simply consolidate everything underSampleTank, which I did with Miroslav Philharmonik, but it seems a shame to lose the interface.

Any suggestions? :D
simoncroft

Re: Syntronik and SampleTank 3 resetting each other's disk p

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:01 am

Both ST3 and Syntronik use the same disk path (something like .../IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3). So the sound libraries need to be in the same folder hierarchy.

There should be no need to reset it in Syntronik. Syntronik will start in the "SampleTank path" navigate though it and list only the Syntronik instruments.

This way, you can load ST3 and Syntronik (and MP2) instruments all into ST3. Or you can use Syntronik to load its instruments only, or MP2 for its instruments only. Thus keeping their GUIs

If you look on disk, you should see that the Syntronik and MP2 instruments and samples are all in sub-folders in the "Instruments" and "Samples" folders of the ST3 library. As that is not the case for you, you will need to remove the Syntronik sounds library and reinstall it into the ST3 disk path or you may be able to move the sub-folders.

Have a look at: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?category=11&topic=syntronik#st3 for the organisation on disk. Select "I can't find or load my Virtual Instrument's sound content, what can I do?" then the link to ST3 etc
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby simoncroft » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:08 am

Thanks for this. I'll do exactly as you say. Greetings from West Sussex!
simoncroft

Postby simoncroft » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:29 am

Sorry, but that hasn't fixed the problem. All looking good until I closed the two stand-alone players. As soon as I remounted ST3, the only samples it showed were Syntronik synths.

I must admit, I was struggling to see how changing the directory paths would solve this.
simoncroft

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:12 pm

When you close the standalone program, maybe the disk path is rewritten?

Did you put the Syntronik instruments and samples into sub-folders in the ST3 sounds library hierarchy? or reinstall the Syntronik library into the ST3 library folders?

And select the ST3 library disk path in ST3 or Syntronik?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you tell us
-- what is the disk path in ST3's preference settings?
-- what is the disk path in Syntronik's preference settings?
-- what is the path to the ST3 sounds library?
-- what is the path to the Syntronik sounds library?
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby simoncroft » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:20 pm

Thank you for your continued advice. It may be that I have misunderstood your instructions, because all I did was put the folder containing all the resources (samples, library info etc) for Syntronik into the equivalent folder for ST3.

Therefore the disk paths should look like this:

ST3 – /Volumes/Media Store 1/IK Multimedia/Sample Tank 3
Syntronik - /Volumes/Media Store 1/IK Multimedia/Sample Tank 3/Syntronik

However, although they both work fine while mounted, whichever application I set last becomes the disk path for both when I remount them.
simoncroft

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:51 pm

Not quite. ;)

To avoid further confusion, the thing to do is remove all of the Syntronik sounds library folders, set the disk path in ST3 to the main ST3 sounds library folder (and check that you can load / play the ST3 instruments) then install the Syntronik sounds library files - making sure that the same disk path is used.

When finished, your disk path should be:
/Volumes/Media Store 1/IK Multimedia/Sample Tank 3

In there you will see "Instruments" and "Samples" folders (and others). Within those you will see sub-folders for the various ST3 and Syntronik sounds. Here is an example (your will not be exactly the same):

----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby simoncroft » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:04 pm

Thank you for making it so clear. Unfortunately, it hasn't quite worked out. At first, nothing new appeared within ST3, so I chose an irrelevant disk path, then browsed back to ST3. That forced a database rebuild, and I thought I was home and dry. Alas not.

Despite the fact I've put all the files exactly where you told me to, none of the Syntronik samples show, just empty instrument folders. They're all .st3i files, and I've rechecked they are in the correct place, so I'm not sure what's happening here.

I'd supply screenshots, but the only way I can work out how is to host them on a remote server, which seems a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I'm sure there's an easier way, but I can't work it out.
simoncroft

Postby DarkStar » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:25 pm

I am a bit worried about further advice as it may cause more confusion, but ...

You need the Syntronik .pak files to be in the appropriate sub-folders in the "Samples" folder too. Are they present? And maybe other other Syntronik content too in the right folders.

That is why I suggested above
the thing to do is remove all of the Syntronik sounds library folders, set the disk path in ST3 to the main ST3 sounds library folder (and check that you can load / play the ST3 instruments) then install the Syntronik sounds library files - making sure that the same disk path is used.

.st3i files are (what I call) instrument definition files; the samples themselves are in .pak files. An ST3 or Syntronik or MP2 instrument requires both, in the right sub-folders.

As for posting screenshots:
https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=432
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby simoncroft » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:58 pm

Please be assured you're not confusing me at all! And I am following your advice very closely. I've been working with media on computers for 25 years now, so the idea that the relationship between a project file and its resources cannot be casually changed is hardly new to me. However, I'm struggling with this particular situation, which is why I still need your help.

Hopefully, the screenshots below will allow you to judge whether I have followed your instructions and will show you that the result is not as we hoped.

simoncroft

Postby DarkStar » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:02 am

I'm stumped. Do any of those Syntronik instruments now open / play in Syntronik?

Did you rebuild the cache database after moving / installing the files? Click the circular arrow button in ST3's Browser.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby simoncroft » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:26 am

DarkStar wrote:I'm stumped. Do any of those Syntronik instruments now open / play in Syntronik?

Did you rebuild the cache database after moving / installing the files? Click the circular arrow button in ST3's Browser.

In which case, we're both in the same place on this one.

No, they don't play in Syntronik now, because it refuses to recognise the relevant files within their new ST3 location.

Yes, I have rebuilt the ST database. Not only does it still not recognise the Syntronik samples, but it no longer recognises the ST3 patches in an existing Logic Pro X production. Everything looks as if it 'should' work, but there is no audio until I manually reset each instance of ST3.

I really appreciate the time you've put into this. Should I be turning to IK tech support at this point?
simoncroft

Postby DarkStar » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:07 pm

Well, Support aren't in until Monday :). So ...

Nothing I have suggested should affect playing ST3 instruments in ST3 in existing projects. Has something-else changed?

Could you clarify what is meant by "manually reset each instance of ST3"?

If you have the exact folder hierarchy shown below:
and the Disk path in the software's Preferences is pointing to that "SampleTank 3" folder then you should be OK.

Just to humour me, can you check out one of the problematic ST3 instruments? For example, the Fretless J Bass. This is what I have here:

As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chime in. Meanwhile, the best thing to do is raise a Support Ticket, here for some one to one help (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally). Response time is usually within 2 working days.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby DarkStar » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:03 pm

simoncroft wrote: I'm pretty certain the problem started when I upgraded the OS to 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

Oops, I missed this comment. Could there be some sort of folder / file permissions problem? Which could affect any new ones that have been created.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

simoncroft wrote:I suppose I could simply consolidate everything under SampleTank, which I did with Miroslav Philharmonik, but it seems a shame to lose the interface.

Having consolidated ST3 and MP2, you can load both groups of instruments into ST3, for layering, multi-timbral use etc.). And you can still run MP2 (standalone or plug-in) and use its interface, if you wish.

------------------------------------
One more diagnostic tool - but this is a bit extreme. Can you create a text file listing all the folders and files and their hierarchy in the "SampleTank 3" folder, compress it into a .zip file and upload it somewhere safe? So that I can have a look.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby simoncroft » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:26 pm

Thank you for all of this, which I will work through very carefully. Alas, I have an electric fire to fix first. :|
simoncroft

Next

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More