Newbie iMac user with a PC for downloading

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Newbie iMac user with a PC for downloading

Postby mhlevy » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:06 am

Hi All,
I apologize for this newbie question, I've got an older iMac but a killer PC, and I've noticed something about downloads. I've used PCs since Dos v2.0, but I'm extremely new to OS-X and the Mac world (even though my iMac is not a newer system.)

I have a USB drive that supports both MAC and PC (2TB Seagate), and I'm not sure if I want to use my iMac or PC with SampleTank 4 Max. I started the dmg file downloads on the iMac, and that's when I noticed it's got a 100Mbs interface, rather than the 1Gb interface that my Windows system has. So I figured I'd use the USB drive to become a repository for all my ST 4 Max files, both Mac and Windows.

I copied the files I had downloaded from my iMac to the USB drive, and when I connected the drive to the PC, that's when I noticed that 2 files were actually copied for each one I had seen on the iMac, There's the original dmg file, but then there is also a ._FileName.dmg file as well.

I remember from my old networking days that Mac files used to have a "resource fork" that would be lost when copying files to a PC network drive that didn't have the "Mac namespace" configured, effectively "breaking" the file, especially executables. Are these files the OS-X equivalent of the resource forks? When I downloaded the dmg files from the download site using my PC, they downloaded as just the single file.

Will the dmg files I downloaded to the USB drive using my PC (which don't have a 2nd ._FileName.dmg file) be usable when I connect that USB drive to the iMac? Or do I have to download the dmg files from the IKM download site using my iMac.

Thank you,

Mark Levy
mhlevy

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More