Hammond B-3X - 2 Questions[SOLVED]

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Hammond B-3X - 2 Questions[SOLVED]

Postby pacificm » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:47 am

Hello,
Am new to the Hammond B-3X. Two questions:

1) Am attempting to do Latch Controller as explained in manual to change Leslie Speed. With Latch on and Leslie Speed set to CC64 (sustain pedal) the Leslie Speed changes but it also activates the sustain in the note played. How can this speed change be accomplished without creating a sustained note?

2) I have two midi controller keyboards. I would like to play the Hammond Upper and Lower manuals simultaneously as you would in a normal organ playing both keyboards at the same time. I am playing the Hammond B-3X as a plugin with my DAW - Digital Perfomer -DP. Is there a way to do this within the plugin itself, or is it necessary to create two tracks in DP and record them both simultaneously? (DP does have a Multi Record function to record two tracks at the same time.)

Please advise on this questions. Thank you.
pacificm

Re: Hammond B-3X - 2 Questions

Postby DarkStar » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:29 pm

** duplicate thread has been removed **
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby pacificm » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:09 pm

I'm confused.

What does ** duplicate thread has been removed ** mean?
pacificm

Postby DarkStar » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:13 pm

Somehow, the same questions were posted on the forum in 2 different threads. I removed one of those threads so that you would have all the replies in one place. No information has been lost.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby pacificm » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply.

How do I access the answers to those questions?

I'm confused.

Please advise. Thank you.
pacificm

Postby DarkStar » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:49 pm

The answers will appear here, when someone reads your questions and replies to this thread.

I do not have the B-3X installed and do not know Digital Performer so I cannot give you any precise info or guidance.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:45 pm

pacificm wrote:Hello,
Am new to the Hammond B-3X. Two questions:

1) Am attempting to do Latch Controller as explained in manual to change Leslie Speed. With Latch on and Leslie Speed set to CC64 (sustain pedal) the Leslie Speed changes but it also activates the sustain in the note played. How can this speed change be accomplished without creating a sustained note?

2) I have two midi controller keyboards. I would like to play the Hammond Upper and Lower manuals simultaneously as you would in a normal organ playing both keyboards at the same time. I am playing the Hammond B-3X as a plugin with my DAW - Digital Perfomer -DP. Is there a way to do this within the plugin itself, or is it necessary to create two tracks in DP and record them both simultaneously? (DP does have a Multi Record function to record two tracks at the same time.)

Please advise on this questions. Thank you.

1) By default the Sustain function in Hammond B-3X uses MIDI CC 64. To disable this, use the Settings option and set "Sustain" to another MIDI CC value.

2) I would suggest recording your MIDI on multiple tracks in case you want to come back and edit any notes later. Some DAWs will allow you to record different MIDI Channel inputs to a single 'clip', FL Studio is the only one that comes to mind, but in this case, the DAW sends only the MIDI Channel of the controller to the plug-in. Some DAWs, like Ableton send ALL MIDI Channel to your plug-in, so you must use different tracks to access the different manuals. This is less of a Hammond B-3X behavior, and more of a DAW behavior.

Hope this helps! If I missed anything or you need me to elaborate, let me know. I'm more than happy to help.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby pacificm » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:18 am

If I understand this correctly, it is the default Leslie Speed function in Hammond B-3X that uses the MIDI CC 64 (foot) Sustain setting to change Leslie Speed. Using the MIDI CC 64 (foot) Sustain setting adds the Leslie Speed change to the Sustain function. It does not cancel the Sustain function. It does change the Leslie Speed, but also introduces a Sustain. It seems that the only way to stop the sustain is to keep the foot on the sustain pedal - which is a little awkward. It seems it would be a little easier to work with if one didn't need to keep thinking about preventing the note from sustaining when wanting to change the Leslie Speed.

So, to avoid this problem it would appear that using another MIDI CC number and activating that number would be preferable for Leslie Speed function. For example, MIDI CC numbers 20 -31 are undefined. However, how could any of them be activated - preferably by a foot action? That seems to be the question. I'm not clear how to do this. Would any of those numbers work and if so how could they be activated - especially by foot if possible? Please let me know if I am overlooking something. Please advise. Thank you.
pacificm

Postby Ryan_IK » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:11 pm

Please see my example screen shot below. In this example I've reset my MIDI assignments, then set MIDI CC 127 to Sustain (To avoid conflict with MIDI CC64), then I've set Leslie Speed to MIDI CC64. This allows these two functions to operate independently from each other. Sustain will not affect Leslie speed or vise verse.

By default Leslie Speed is controlled by MIDI CC 1. This is the MOD Wheel on most controllers. Sustain, by default is controlled by MIDI CC64. This is the general MIDI CC message for sustain in many programs.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby pacificm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:29 am

Excellent recommendation! Your suggestions and example screen were very helpful. Thanks so much for your help!

I have another question which I submitted on a separate post and have not received any responses. I will submit it here as well. It has to do with the Hammond B-3X Master Volume.

I prepare a preset in the Hammond B-3X and set the Master Volume at approximately 50%. When I test playing notes, the volume is moderate as intended. However, as soon as I either press Play or Record on my DAW, the Master Volume jumps to 100% and the volume is much too loud. Then I need to drag the Master Volume back down to 50% again for either playback or record.

I use a lot of plugins and have never run into this before. Any idea how to get the Master Volume to remain where it is set for playback or record? I am using Mac 10.14.5 and Digital Performer 9.52. Please advise. Thank you.
pacificm

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:22 pm

pacificm wrote:Excellent recommendation! Your suggestions and example screen were very helpful. Thanks so much for your help!

I have another question which I submitted on a separate post and have not received any responses. I will submit it here as well. It has to do with the Hammond B-3X Master Volume.

I prepare a preset in the Hammond B-3X and set the Master Volume at approximately 50%. When I test playing notes, the volume is moderate as intended. However, as soon as I either press Play or Record on my DAW, the Master Volume jumps to 100% and the volume is much too loud. Then I need to drag the Master Volume back down to 50% again for either playback or record.

I use a lot of plugins and have never run into this before. Any idea how to get the Master Volume to remain where it is set for playback or record? I am using Mac 10.14.5 and Digital Performer 9.52. Please advise. Thank you.

Glad I could help!

Check your MIDI CC control for your Master Volume. This is set to MIDI CC 7 in Hammond B-3X by default. It sounds like your DAW is sending a MIDI CC 7 message when you press play. The quickest solution would be to change the MIDI CC assigned to Master Volume, similar to how we've edited Sustain in the GIF above. You could also just remove any MIDI CC automation which could be adjusting this value.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby pacificm » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:07 am

Thanks again for your prompt and helpful reply. You mentioned the influence of the DAW in this situation which led me to contact my DAW tech support. I work with many plug ins and this has never occurred before.

As soon as I explained to the MOTU Digital Performer tech support what was occurring, the tech support said "I know what is happening."

He directed me to the "Setup" Menu. Then scroll down to the "Event Chasing" window. Then I needed to uncheck the "Controllers" option which was checked by default. That took care of it. Now, the Master Volume level does not change when either Play or Record are activated.

Thanks again for your help!
pacificm

Re: Hammond B-3X - 2 Questions[SOLVED]

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:10 pm

Glad to hear I could help! :D

As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.

• If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic. Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More