Split topic: Hammond B-3X sustain

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Split topic: Hammond B-3X sustain

Postby t.weindl » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:06 am

Peter, sorry to say but the sustain is buggy.
Play a note
Press sustain
Release the note, the note keeps playing, what is fine
Play the same not again, the note keeps playing
Do not release the key you played just before
Release the sustain, the note is stopped !

Can you please check this?
t.weindl

Re: Split topic: Hammond B-3X sustain

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Hi, sorry to hear you are having trouble. This is something you would need to report to IK Support for direct assistance. They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi and would be happy to look into the issue you are experiencing and get you up and running. Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Hi, re-reading your post I'm not sure you're having an issue but may simply be unaware how the sustain in Hammond B-3X works. Sustain on a real Hammond B-3 does not exist and for this reason, traditional sustain that supports repeated instances of the same note during sustain is not available because it does not work with certain aspects of Hammond B-3X that make up the very realistic sound. To elaborate:

When sustaining a note in Hammond B-3X, you cannot trigger that same note again. This is correct by design, because of the tonewheels:

It is the nature of the instrument. The note on in a Hammond B-3 organ basically just opens a gate. So once this gate is open, it cannot open again.

Also, the key click is generated by a non-zero crossing when the gate opens. So once the gate is open, there is no more non-zero crossing, so no repeated key click either. This concept is similar with the percussion.

If this is what you are experience, it is by design. You do have the ability to sustain but we must retain the realism of Hammond B-3X as approved by Hammond and to give you the best virtual Hammond B3 organ available.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby rhg@soulianis.com » Mon May 18, 2020 2:08 pm

Please allow me to chime in here. The problem is real, not a misunderstanding.

The sustain pedal is helpful for legato playing chord sequences where fingering doesn't allow to play legato other than using both hands.

What happens with B3-X is: You release the pedal, then shortly AFTER that play the new chord. When you do this, it happens that the new chord is "incomplete", some of the played notes are missing (not sounding).

IMHO, there is one "golden rule" one should be safe to rely on: When a key is down, the corresponding note should sound. Due to that B3-X sustain pedal problem, this rule is broken.

I already submitted this to IK technical support and received a reply that this is a known problem. They didn't tell whether or not this will be fixed, or whether or not this is on priority.

I would really wish to hear that a fix is on the way. THANK YOU VERY MUCH :)
rhg@soulianis.com

Postby HS Music » Mon May 18, 2020 5:49 pm

I totally agree with "rhg".

As I have also posted in the wish list, the sustain function has to be modified.
As implemented today I lose notes when I'm playing. I know that a lot of "real" organ players might not use the sustain pedal, but I'm sure that quite a lot of us traditional piano players do.

The way is should work and how it is normally implemented is as described earlier by "Drawbar":

When NOTE ON & sustain pedal down, then NOTE OFF + NOTE ON, the note should keep playing even AFTER sustain pedal comes up. This is how it is implemented in other B3 clone vsti’s that I have played (Vintage Organs,VB3, B5..).

Please include it in a future update.
HS Music

Postby HS Music » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:35 pm

I guess you've all seen it, but the sustain issue seems to be fixed now with the 1.3.1 release as far as I have tested.

Hammond B-3X - Ver. 1.3.1 - Release Notes
What’s new in Hammod B-3X 1.3.1

Fixed a sustain pedal logic issue with multiple presses and releases of the same note

Thanks to IK for taking this serious and for making a fix quite fast :D

/Henrik.
HS Music

Postby rhg@soulianis.com » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:49 am

Yes, thank you IK for fixing.
rhg@soulianis.com

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More