Issues with automation in Ableton

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Issues with automation in Ableton

Postby DembeRed » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:41 pm

Hello everyone,,
I checked the manual and didn't find this in there. I'm trying to simply select an ST3 parameter (filter frequency) in an Ableton (v9) track for drawing in arrange mode automation. There was no obvious way to select this.

[Mod Edit: post-post suspicious links removed]

I then clicked the Ableton GUI shell/container for ST3 and clicked "configure" which normally allows me to click a knob/slider in a plugin and it will populate to the Ableton GUI with the parameter allowing for automation. This did not work either.

Does this mean that ST3 does not allow automation in a DAW unless I Learn/map a GUI parameter to a physical midi controller?
Last edited by DembeRed on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DembeRed

Re: Issues with automation in Ableton

Postby garfy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi DembeRed

SampleTank itself does not report automation parameters to host software, but you can use MIDI CC numbers instead and without having to use a physical controller.

I don't know what you need to do it in Ableton, but in Logic you choose what MIDI CC number to use within the MIDI region and create an automation lane for it, then click LEARN (bottom left of the ST3 interface), move the control on the GUI and then grab and move the CC lane in the region for the connection to be made (it takes longer to type this than it takes to do it!)

Have a look at page 62 and 63 (Chapter 6 - MIDI Control) in the manual.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More