Hammond B-3x Split a single keyboard for two manuals?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Re: Hammond B-3x Split a single keyboard for two manuals?

Postby normhart2000 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:33 pm

ZeroZero1 wrote:I have tried this. It transmits the MIDI data across the whole range for each channel.

Are you able to specify key ranges for UP1,Up2, LW1,Lw2? For example, if UP1 is not configured, it might be using the entire keyboard as a default as with the others? I’m not sure how the UP/LW ranges are defined. I’m thinking you may need to define these ranges somewhere.
normhart2000

Postby ZeroZero1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:33 pm

DarkStar wrote:Exactly how are you finding out that notes in all 4 Parts are being sent on the same MIDI channel? What is showing that?

By the playback in the Hammond. One note struck on the keyboard is seen on both manuals
ZeroZero1

Postby ZeroZero1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:34 pm

normhart2000 wrote:
ZeroZero1 wrote:I have tried this. It transmits the MIDI data across the whole range for each channel.

Are you able to specify key ranges for UP1,Up2, LW1,Lw2? For example, if UP1 is not configured, it might be using the entire keyboard as a default as with the others? I’m not sure how the UP/LW ranges are defined. I’m thinking you may need to define these ranges somewhere.

Yes. This makes no difference, only on the RD do the sounds get limited to the range.
ZeroZero1

Postby normhart2000 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:44 pm

ZeroZero1 wrote:
normhart2000 wrote:

Yes. This makes no difference, only on the RD do the sounds get limited to the range.

On page 28 where it talks about split points. The UPPER/LOWER ranges look to be overlapping on the little keyboard graphic. What if you tried setting them not to crossover each other?
It’s hard to troubleshoot this without an RD but I hope you get it resolved. The bright side, is that you’ll be getting the new controller anyway and that’ll be the best solution.
normhart2000

Postby ZeroZero1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:51 pm

Thank you fortrying. I think I shall give up. I have set a split point at middle C that work within the ROland and allocated "layers" one and 2 to them. It works in the Roland, I hear one sound below middle C and another above. I then go to send the MIDI channels so that layer one sends MIDI channel 1 and layer 2 to MIDI channel 2 outputs. What happens is on the Hammond, both MIDI channel one and MIDI channel two respond across the whole range.

I think I shall just wait for the SKX
ZeroZero1

Postby DarkStar » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:52 pm

ZeroZero1 wrote:By the playback in the Hammond. One note struck on the keyboard is seen on both manuals

You mean on the B3-X GUI keyboard images?

Can you record some MIDI in your DAW, playing one note in each of the 4 Parts. Then have a look at the MIDI channels of those notes there? IS your DAW (which one, by the way?) forcxing the notes onto a specific single channel?

Also, please double-check the MIDI channel in B3-X's Preference settings.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby DarkStar » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:56 pm

ZeroZero1 wrote:Thank you fortrying. I think I shall give up. I have set a split point at middle C that work within the ROland and allocated "layers" one and 2 to them. It works in the Roland, I hear one sound below middle C and another above. I then go to send the MIDI channels so that layer one sends MIDI channel 1 and layer 2 to MIDI channel 2 outputs. What happens is on the Hammond, both MIDI channel one and MIDI channel two respond across the whole range.

I think I shall just wait for the SKX

I do not understand. After setting the split point you have 4 Parts. Isn't that 4 "Layers" too. Or is it just 1 Layer of 4 parts? What is the difference between a part and a Layer?

And, as I understand it you need to set the MIDI channels for all 4 Parts.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby ZeroZero1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:58 pm

Thank you for your help.I do not want to take this further, I wait for the SKX. FYI two of the four layers are turned of therefore only two channels
ZeroZero1

Postby normhart2000 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:06 pm

ZeroZero1 wrote:Thank you for your help.I do not want to take this further, I wait for the SKX. FYI two of the four layers are turned of therefore only two channels

That’s the better choice. The one thing that keeps the simulation from being perfect is the fact that I’m playing on a weighted keyboard. Fine for pianos but for organs - not so much.
normhart2000

Postby ZeroZero1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:32 pm

normhart2000 wrote:
ZeroZero1 wrote:Thank you for your help.I do not want to take this further, I wait for the SKX. FYI two of the four layers are turned of therefore only two channels

That’s the better choice. The one thing that keeps the simulation from being perfect is the fact that I’m playing on a weighted keyboard. Fine for pianos but for organs - not so much.

FYI I have an A100 here and an M101
ZeroZero1

Postby DarkStar » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:17 pm

ZeroZero1 wrote:Thank you for your help.I do not want to take this further,

That's a shame. I feel that I've wasted my time. :(
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby normhart2000 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:25 am

ZeroZero1 wrote:
normhart2000 wrote:

FYI I have an A100 here and an M101

I wish I could find an inexpensive way to midi our real Hammonds (C-3) and use it as a controller. This has been done by many artists (Keith Emerson, etc.).

One last thing, just to satisfy my curiousity, though. Can you set the UPPER part layers (UP1,Up2) to the same MIDI channel and the same for the LOWER? Then split the keyboard at some appropriate point. It would look like this: (UP1/Up2 to midi channel 1 and LW1 Lw2 to midi channel 2.
normhart2000

Previous

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More