Hammond B-3x Split a single keyboard for two manuals?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Hammond B-3x Split a single keyboard for two manuals?

Postby ZeroZero1 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:53 pm

Is it possible to split an 88 keyboard so that there is one set of drawbars etc for the upper manualk and another for the lower? At the moment the sounds all come out of the upper.

Thank you all.
Z
Last edited by ZeroZero1 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZeroZero1

Re: Hammond B-3x Split a single keyboard for two manuals?

Postby normhart2000 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:24 pm

It should just be a matter of assigning a different midi channel for each split on your midi controller. I've never tried this so I don't even know if it's possible so you'll have to check your controller if it can do this.

* update. Forgot to ask you what kind of 88 key controller you’re using. I have a Studiologic SL88 that I’ve just now setup for a two zone split. This particular keyboard allows me to specify different midi channels for each split. The default for B-3X is ch.1 for upper and ch. 2 for lower. Just set the splits accordingly. It works like a charm. Hope this is helpful.
normhart2000

Postby ZeroZero1 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:35 pm

I am using a Rolland RD 700NX. I do not think there is a way.
Thois should be done within the app.
ZeroZero1

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:20 pm

Looks like the RD-700 series can send up to four different MIDI channels via its "parts" setup: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/14188 ... ml?page=60

The reason this isn't in the software is because even with a full 88-key controller you don't even have the full range for each register (you'd need 120 keys for just the white keys) let alone the black keys. The common use case would be to use two controllers to get the most out of it (or something like the Hammond XK or SK series which would also have the drawbars, etc).
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby ZeroZero1 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:25 pm

Peter et al,

Thank you for your support. Tech does not come easy to me. I shall be getting a SKX soon, so that should solve this, its just meantime. I do think something could be done with 88 keys, perhaps IK could think about this, yes a compromse, but a lot of people would lie this compromise. Bass runs are usually 84800000, but this limits any options for the treble. It wold not be hard to do, just directing notes from a split point.
ZeroZero1

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:29 pm

ZeroZero1 wrote:Peter et al,

Thank you for your support. Tech does not come easy to me. I shall be getting a SKX soon, so that should solve this, its just meantime. I do think something could be done with 88 keys, perhaps IK could think about this, yes a compromse, but a lot of people would lie this compromise. Bass runs are usually 84800000, but this limits any options for the treble. It wold not be hard to do, just directing notes from a split point.

Oh yes, we will definitely relay the request because even with two controllers, I've only got one 88-key controller myself so at least one would be lacking (or I could use two others for the other manual but dang...).

Oh and I emphasized the part that makes me go :mrgreen: with envy!!! That will be super!
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby ZeroZero1 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:24 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Looks like the RD-700 series can send up to four different MIDI channels via its "parts" setup: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/14188 ... ml?page=60

The reason this isn't in the software is because even with a full 88-key controller you don't even have the full range for each register (you'd need 120 keys for just the white keys) let alone the black keys. The common use case would be to use two controllers to get the most out of it (or something like the Hammond XK or SK series which would also have the drawbars, etc).

Alas that is the wrong keyboard, mine is an RD 700NX. PS I suck at all this.
ZeroZero1

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:58 pm

Ah I'd think the series would have that sort of functionality across the board (pun intended). Sorry to hear that.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby normhart2000 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:06 am

While I completely agree that the ideal solution would be two separate keyboards, I was responding to the question of a single 88 key board and B-3X. Obviously, it would limit the range to two 44 note keyboards - sort of making B-3X into ‘L-100X’ !, my temporary solution until I can get another controller would be to assign a full 61 to the upper range and just voice my chordal left hand accompaniment to fit within the remaining 27 notes. Bass lines should also not pose much of a problem with 27 notes (pedals are only 25). That said, I myself do plan on updating my rig to include more hardware control of the software (e.g. drawbars, pedal bass, etc.)
normhart2000

Postby normhart2000 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:50 am

Peter_IK wrote:Ah I'd think the series would have that sort of functionality across the board (pun intended). Sorry to hear that.

I took a quick look at the RD-700NX manual and it does have a similar setup for using the keyboard as a master. It’s under the heading of ‘detailed settings for transmitted parts’ under ‘using the rd-700nx as a master keyboard’. It has a little midi selection box showing up1/up2 and lw1/lw2 with midi channel selection options.
normhart2000

Postby ZeroZero1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm

I have been trying to get this split keyboard thing going......
Recap: RD700NX. 88 keys. Want to get the lower part of the keyboard playing onlty the lower manual of the standalone and the upper manual only from the higher keys on the ROland.

I can split the keybaord so one half is playing one sound and the other half another -using RD700NX sounds (Not the BX-3) - buy limiting the range of notes each layer responds too. I can get each Roland "layer" to send out on a different MIDI channel - but, it seems I cannot set the range of the MIDI channel outputs. I can get set so that one Roland Layer sends out on MIDI channel 1 and another layer on MIDI channel 2 but it seems to me that this is ONLY across the whole 88 note range not a subset.

I am coming to the conclusion that its not possible.

Z
ZeroZero1

Postby normhart2000 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:12 pm

ZeroZero1 wrote:I have been trying to get this split keyboard thing going......
Recap: RD700NX. 88 keys. Want to get the lower part of the keyboard playing onlty the lower manual of the standalone and the upper manual only from the higher keys on the ROland.

I can split the keybaord so one half is playing one sound and the other half another -using RD700NX sounds (Not the BX-3) - buy limiting the range of notes each layer responds too. I can get each Roland "layer" to send out on a different MIDI channel - but, it seems I cannot set the range of the MIDI channel outputs. I can get set so that one Roland Layer sends out on MIDI channel 1 and another layer on MIDI channel 2 but it seems to me that this is ONLY across the whole 88 note range not a subset.

I am coming to the conclusion that its not possible.

Z

Have you tried contacting Roland support or visited any Roland user forums? It was a whole lot simpler with my SL88. On that keyboard, I have up to four ‘parts’ that can be assigned note ranges (for the split) and simply choose a midi channel for each part. In this case, I only needed two parts - part 1 (midi channel 1, upper 5 octaves) and part 2 (midi channel 2, lower 2.5 octaves). It’s workable for now, but I don’t like using weighted keys to play organ. I intend to get a more appropriate controller sometime soon.
normhart2000

Postby DarkStar » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Looking at the Roland user manual, after you have used "Split" (page 29) you get 4 "Parts": Upper 1, Upper 2, Lower 1 and Lower 2.

Then you can set the transmit channel for each - see page 60

Or have I misunderstood? I do not quite get the meaning of a "Layer".
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby ZeroZero1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:54 pm

I have tried this. It transmits the MIDI data across the whole range for each channel.
ZeroZero1

Postby DarkStar » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:09 pm

Exactly how are you finding out that notes in all 4 Parts are being sent on the same MIDI channel? What is showing that?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Next

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More