Split from: Official Hammond B-3X Wish List!

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Re: Split from: Official Hammond B-3X Wish List!

Postby reuelt » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:50 am

wayupnorth wrote:
HS Music wrote:I would like to repeat the request from "Drawbar" back from Nov 18, 2019 regarding the way the Sustain Pedal function is implemented at the moment. As a primary Piano Player I'm using the sustain pedal quite a lot when playing the organ and I'm loosing some notes due to how it is implemented at the moment. The way is should work and how it is normally implemented is as described earlier by "Drawbar":

When NOTE ON & sustain pedal down, then NOTE OFF + NOTE ON, the note should keep playing even AFTER sustain pedal comes up. This is how it is implemented in other B3 clone vsti’s that I have played (Vintage Organs,VB3, B5..).

I hope that it will be possible to implement it in that way in a future version.

Thanks in advance. ;)

/Henrik.

I agree 100%. I wonder if the site moderators see these posts? There seems to be no acknowledgement that these posts are seen. ??

Sustain Pedal function was implemented since ver 1.1. It is now version 1.3.
There is no way IK is going to make B-3X behave like "a piano."
Pipe organs & Hammond Organs NEVER had sustain pedals because organist have to play the pedalboard & expression pedal with their feet. Air & tone wheels can only be on or off so a sustain pedal feature for B-3X will exhibit similar organ characteristics.

"Sampler based" organs may behave differently because samplers are also built to play piano samples as well. Some samplers can implement both sustain and sostenuto.
I don't expect nor want B-3X to have sustain or sostenuto pedals.
reuelt

Postby dylan.haines@gmail.com » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:53 am

IK should provide the "option" - this is not just about purists, it's about flexibility. Every other B3 sim out there does this.

D.
dylan.haines@gmail.com

Postby reuelt » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:29 pm

dylan.haines@gmail.com wrote:IK should provide the "option" - this is not just about purists, it's about flexibility. Every other B3 sim out there does this.

D.

Not true.
VB3's implementation of sustain is only about the same as B-3X's implementation (since version 1.1).

B4 & B4II did NOT have sustain.

Vintage Organs Komplete are sampler based and NOT an emulation of B3. As I said samplers can have sustain and/or sostenuto.

B5 did not even have pedalboard support when I wanted to buy years ago. It is partially sampler based too.

AZR3, NubiPlus did NOT have sustain.
reuelt

Postby dylan.haines@gmail.com » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:02 pm

Again, that's fine for the purists. There should be an option for those who need it and there are many multi-keyboardists who use sustain in the "normal" fashion.

The original NI B3 had it, VB Blue has it and the Italian one (forget the name) has it.

Options are always the best. Purists can leave it turned off.

D.
dylan.haines@gmail.com

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:08 pm

The requests have been made and it has been confirmed that there will be a fix related to sustain in an upcoming update. I appreciate a good discussion but let's make sure it is civil and this thread stays on the topic of wishlist items. If you'd like to go deeper into the concept of sustain and Hammond B3 organs it might be a cool topic for a new thread, since it is indeed an interesting question/concept.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby davinwv » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:11 pm

Peter_IK wrote:The requests have been made and it has been confirmed that there will be a fix related to sustain in an upcoming update. I appreciate a good discussion but let's make sure it is civil and this thread stays on the topic of wishlist items. If you'd like to go deeper into the concept of sustain and Hammond B3 organs it might be a cool topic for a new thread, since it is indeed an interesting question/concept.

Has there been any movement on the centered modwheel triggering Leslie brake request? All the other software organs do this too, and it emulates the behavior of a real 3-position half-moon Leslie switch.
davinwv

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:26 pm

davinwv wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:The requests have been made and it has been confirmed that there will be a fix related to sustain in an upcoming update. I appreciate a good discussion but let's make sure it is civil and this thread stays on the topic of wishlist items. If you'd like to go deeper into the concept of sustain and Hammond B3 organs it might be a cool topic for a new thread, since it is indeed an interesting question/concept.

Has there been any movement on the centered modwheel triggering Leslie brake request? All the other software organs do this too, and it emulates the behavior of a real 3-position half-moon Leslie switch.

I don't have any news on that but requests are forwarded to the team regularly.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby ChokDK » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:40 pm

Peter_IK wrote:
davinwv wrote:

I don't have any news on that but requests are forwarded to the team regularly.

As a matter of fact, if we are getting a triggering for leslie brake (which I really hope!) it could just as well be done on the bottom part of the modwheel.
Center would trigger everytime on Roland keyboards, and on eg. Yamaha modwheel it would feel odd to have it on center (half way up the modwheel use).

Making both options would be a gift though :)
As always, a IOS hard reset can do wonders too.
Hammond B-3X IOS group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HammondB3X/
ChokDK

Can users of B-3X have the ability to label Drawbars combina

Postby reuelt » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:33 am

Hammond has already given labels to some Drawbar combinations.
e.g.
005320000 Stopped Flute
004545440 Cello

That means a "reference table" already exist in B-3X that labels certain Hammond Drawbar combinations.

My wish is that users can have read-only access to THE FIXED TABLE and can have a USER definable DRAWBARS reference TABLE.
e.g. Someone already called
005544422 Viola Pomp
002221111 Aeoline

It is akin to a USER DICTIONARY. User don't change the STD dictionary if words exist but can add definitions into their own USER DICTIONARY.

IK please do it FIRST before other clones get the idea.

Reuel
reuelt

Postby wayupnorth » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:52 pm

Great to hear. Is there any timeline in which we could expect this improvement? I purchased the iPad version a few months ago, but have been unable to unveil it in my live sets due to its poor playability.To be fair, If I were providing solo/backup organ only, I could use the app without difficulty. Problem only comes as a result of layering piano organ, and the expected sustain reaction. Thanks, in advance, for any insight you can provide on upgrade dates.
wayupnorth

Postby jacobq » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:37 pm

I think it would be convenient to open up a separate window with all the patches, both factory and custom built, to select from. Instead of having to scroll through the drop down dialogue box in the app. It would also be easier to organize your presets also.If it could also stay open for all the different window selections in the app, instead of closing.
Thanks
jacobq

Postby HS Music » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:40 pm

Thanks Peter. The sustain issue seems to be fixed now with the 1.3.1 release as far as I have tested.

Hammond B-3X - Ver. 1.3.1 - Release Notes
What’s new in Hammod B-3X 1.3.1
Fixed a sustain pedal logic issue with multiple presses and releases of the same note

Thanks to IK for taking this serious and for making a fix quite fast :D

/Henrik.
HS Music

Postby danwat1234 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:25 am

An actual B-3 organ has 38 drawbars.
Is it true there is no way to enable a layout that gives control of all 38 drawbars in the software? I only see 20 in the layout. If not, what is the reasoning because it is supposed to emulate the genuine organ in every way. I recognize the benefit of a leaner interface but there should be an option for full fledged, traditional control.
I am probably missing something obvious. I messaged ikmedia on Facebook and they said they've never seen a B3 with more than 9 drawbars per manual, which really gave me a WTF. I am a newbie here. 38 drawbars please! no shortcomings.
B-3X 20 drawbars; https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/h ... lgr@2x.jpg
B-3 38 drawbars; https://cdn-0.enacademic.com/pictures/e ... eup%29.png
danwat1234

Postby reuelt » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:13 am

danwat1234 wrote:An actual B-3 organ has 38 drawbars.
Is it true there is no way to enable a layout that gives control of all 38 drawbars in the software? I only see 20 in the layout. If not, what is the reasoning because it is supposed to emulate the genuine organ in every way. I recognize the benefit of a leaner interface but there should be an option for full fledged, traditional control.
I am probably missing something obvious. I messaged ikmedia on Facebook and they said they've never seen a B3 with more than 9 drawbars per manual, which really gave me a WTF. I am a newbie here. 38 drawbars please! no shortcomings.

I have the same wish.
[mod redacted - please review the rules]
reuelt

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:42 pm

danwat1234 wrote:An actual B-3 organ has 38 drawbars.

This is not necessarily an issue, nor should it limit the tonal options available. In short, this is because the extra draw-bars were added due to physical limitations. These were used as 'presets' and triggered with the Inverted keys A# and B.

Since in the software, each inverted key has a preset that can be edited, there is no need for these additional drawbars.

To quote the user manual:

“Each of the three manuals has its own set of drawbars that is displayed at the top of the window. The drawbars always show the current state of the tone generator mix. So the drawbar settings you see always represents the drawbar sound you hear. Since Hammond B-3X is a software instrument, we can take advantage of the dynamic software interface to always show the current position of the drawbars.
The advantages of a software instrument become apparent when you select a drawbar settings key using the 12 inverted keys at the left of each keyboard. Here is some historical information so you can understand what was done originally, and what has evolved in Hammond B-3X:
On the hardware Hammond organs, the C# through A keys select a fixed drawbar setting that is independent of that actual physical drawbars. The A# note selects the first set of drawbars at the left, and the B note selects the second set of drawbars to the right. The C note cancels the drawbar selection altogether and essentially mutes the organ.
Hammond B-3X deviates from this classic scheme because we do not have the same limitations as analog hardware. Hammond B-3X still has drawbar settings on the inverted keys, but here we take advantage of the software platform and dynamically move the drawbars to reflect each drawbar preset selected. This would be impractical on a hardware Hammond organ since this could only be accomplished with mechanically motorized sliders. This also allows Hammond B-3X to use all 12 inverted keys of each manual for drawbar settings instead of just 9 of them on the original hardware instruments. ”
Ryan_IK
Senpai

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More