How do I Sustain (Midi CC 64) on Hammond B3X

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

How do I Sustain (Midi CC 64) on Hammond B3X

Postby looney » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:00 am

Hi IK Multimedia,

I am loving your new Hammond B3x plugin. It sounds so authentic!

Question - Since I am playing multiple keyboards, and need a way to sustain chords on B3x while my 2 hands are busy playing other parts -- How can I get B3x to respect midi sustain (CC 64).

I realize organs do not typically have sustains (unless you consider the knives Keith Emerson used to wield), but this is something I need.

If it is 'not currently supported, can I request this as a future feature option?

Thanks IK, and Well Done on your modeling!

Regards,
Kevin L
looney

Re: How do I Sustain (Midi CC 64) on Hammond B3X

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:37 pm

Thanks for your input.

This is not a feature of Hammond B-3X. As you mentioned traditional B-3 Hammond organs would not allow this.

Please feel free to share this comment as well as any other suggestions to the newly created Official Wish List at the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby mauro.tenti@outlook.it » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:30 pm

looney wrote:Hi IK Multimedia,
I realize organs do not typically have sustains (unless you consider the knives Keith Emerson used to wield), but this is something I need.

If it is 'not currently supported, can I request this as a future feature option?

I think sustain support would be reeeeeeeally useful.
mauro.tenti@outlook.it

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:30 pm

I believe this is in the official wishlist thread. Please put any feature requests in those official wishlist threads in each product's appropriate subforum.

The reason sustain isn't built in is that this is authentic as a real Hammond B3 and there is no sustain support there. However, feature requests are all considered and relayed.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby JonBlanckMusic » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:45 pm

I don't think the original Hammond organ had a PITCH BEND either but you have that function.
JonBlanckMusic

Postby JonBlanckMusic » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:52 pm

I'm sure most of the users of this plugin are not organ players (like me) and do not have the proper technique to make smooth transitions between chord voicings. A lot of us depend on the sustain pedal to make up for this lack of proper organ technique.
JonBlanckMusic

Postby wagscpa » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:00 pm

As a live keyboard player we sometimes are called to play parts that were recorded, or are performed, by multiple players or as multiple independent tracks. The sustain pedal gives me, the player, the ability to hold the organ notes while using my hands to do other things before I come back to the organ. I understand the desire for authenticity but there is also the point of serving the user. Everything is a trade off. Otherwise the original B3 can itself be quite authentic but I can't afford one nor would I really want to carry it and the Leslie to every show. I emphasize that, at least for some of us, it is not so much about killing the authenticity as it is about expanding the utility of the software. This actually impacts the purchase decision for this software for some people. Anyway, those are my 2 cents. I had this discussion many years ago with another renowned B3 soft synth developer and he eventually added the sustain pedal functionality and I have very happily used his product ever since.
wagscpa

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:19 pm

Peter_IK wrote:I believe this is in the official wishlist thread. Please put any feature requests in those official wishlist threads in each product's appropriate subforum.

The reason sustain isn't built in is that this is authentic as a real Hammond B3 and there is no sustain support there. However, feature requests are all considered and relayed.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More