ST3 issues and its relationship to ST4

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

ST3 issues and its relationship to ST4

Postby pcarey3 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Am I just stupid and the only one who can’t figure this out? Should it be this difficult? (think “install wizard” …I’d pay for it)

I am again wading through the install crazie-ness for ST4. ST4 actually installed smoothly, but its relationship with ST3 is very curious.
After the crash and rebuild, I’d decided to go back and explore the old instruments I used to use and import legacy instruments I used to use that I stopped using. …that’s turning out to be quite a challenge.

What most puzzling/frustrating to me about Sampletank has been the fussiness of the install process.
(Although I’m not a computer whiz, I’ve been making music on computers since 40meg was a hog of a hard drive and monitor screens were monochrome and the IK system is the only install protocol that has given me real fits.)

I recently re-downloaded and re-installed every instrument I own in my IK library so I’d have a clear install on my Sampledrive in the ST3 folder. There must be a document that I have not founds that clears states the file protocol for the ST3 path….by that I mean the do’s and don’t!!

I opened ST3 (most current version) and saw that I have never re-imported Sonik Synth 2. I did the import thing, watched all the samples go by in the data base rebuild window. In ST3 I opened SS2 folder and all the stuff was there, but saw this:

Failed to load instrument….then the pathname….!!! ST3 seems to have seen everything as it went through the whole import process! So I’m confused.

I also re-download and reinstalled all the Syntronik instruments. I directed the install was to the same ST3 folder on the Sample drive. Only the Syntronik Free and the Syntronik Bully show up!!! Again I’m confused….

The same is true for all the other stuff from ST3 Max. ….all the drum sets, Brandengerg Piano, the Electronica stuff….ST3 does not see it.

I have found the FAQ page not of much use. Given how much time this has cost, I’d be thrilled to pay for an IK tech to get on my machine and fix this (Since I’m certain I’m doing some simple thing wrong it would take him 10 minutes to fix it) but even though I’ve asked this question in a support ticket the question is ignored.???

I know there is much more to learn and I’m will to work at it, but the documentation is….politely….”light” on trouble shooting and details…and for a collection of products with the scope and complexity on the Sampletank instrument there should be more info. and assistance

I’m sure the answers are there but I’m not cutting it….am I the only one?

Thanks for any help or direction
Peter
pcarey3

Re: ST3 issues and its relationship to ST4

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:51 pm

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are running into.

The golden guideline for installation of the ST3, SYntronik (and MP2) sounds libraries is use exactly the same folder path for all of them. You should end up with a single main folder containing "Instruments", "Samples". "Imported Instruments", "Imported Samples" etc and all should be visible in the Browser.

There's another guideline - you may need to rebuild the ST3 cache database (by clicking the circular arrow button in the Browser).

Also, there are one or two problems when Importing some legacy libraries. If you run into any, Support can sort you out.

I am not clear what your question is about ST4. The ST4 library downloads do include the ST3 library, but if you already have the latter installed (which is what you are aiming to do)
you do not need them and can just add the ST3 library folder path to the list in ST4's Preference Settings.

-----------------------------------
As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chime in. Meanwhile, the best thing to do is raise a Support Ticket, with all the details, here:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/
for some one to one help (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally).
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby pcarey3 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Thanks for that info. ...the clearest/most concise explanation of workable details I've heard so far. After three days of messing with all this stuff and re-downloading and re-installing stuff, I got it to work last night about midnight.

The really old stuff (ST2.5 etc.) only runs in ST3, but ST4 seems to give me access too all the rest. Oddly (and I haven't researched this yet), when I have nothing selected in ST4 all the columns (category-filters-instruments) are full of stuff. Is that a sign of something?....
At the bottom, the ST3 imported icon changes the info that shows when nothing is selected, but I can't tell what imported stuff it from....more to learn.

I appreciate the clarifications...

Peter
pcarey3

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:32 pm

I am glad that you've made some progress. :)

As far as I know, if the "really old stuff" loads and plays in ST3 then you should be able to use it in ST4 too. Maybe it does not get listed where you expected. Can you try a Search in ST4 for one of the old instruments?

In ST4, with no categories or filters selected you will see ALL the available instruments

AS for the source of the import - I think that some improvements are being made in that area. No release date is known.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More