Is ST3SE snd. cont. necessary in ST4SE if ST3 already owned?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Is ST3SE snd. cont. necessary in ST4SE if ST3 already owned?

Postby jppineau » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:34 pm

Strange title, sorry... Not enough space :)

A bit of paranoïa here...

I have SampleTank 3 standard installed. ST3 sounds and all those of my previous ST2.5XL + every instruments from generation #2 are installed in a sample libraries dedicated SSD drive.

As it turns out, ST4 will be mostly used in live perfs. So, I upgraded to ST4 SE just to get the new environment and other benefits from the new generation interface, thus keeping my old sounds library etc.

In the installation process, I see there are ST3 SE sound content provided along the ST4 SE library. Do I need to install these or should I let them aside, assuming they are already included in my previous ST3 + ST2 installation? In fact, are they included?

I am a bit afraid of creating confusion in the library...

I kept my ST3 library in its own folder with every imported ST2 instruments/samples. I created a ST4 folder for its own library. i understand both libraries will live into their respective folders. I have not taken the risk of installing ST3 SE content yet.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by jppineau on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jppineau

Re: Is ST3SE snd. cont. necessary in ST4SE if ST3 already ow

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:52 pm

I am pretty sure that the ST3 content in the ST4 library downloads is the same as in the ST3 library. So you should be able just to add the path to your main ST3 library folder to the Preference Settings in ST4.

You can also check the content, listed in the PDFs here:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st4/#sounds
Scroll down to "Instruments included" for the 4 links.

Try out the ST3 sounds in ST3 and ST4; side by side, if you can. There may be some sonic differences as the internal engine and the FX may be different.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby jppineau » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:14 pm

Thanks Darkstar,

It is the first time I buy a light edition of whatever library I've ever got, in fact. :P

I understand that we can expect to find everything from ST3 SE already included into the ST3 standard library, unless these SE libraries are "light versions" of themselves... Redundancy should be kept at minimum, but as you wrote, the real way to know is to get thru the whole process and compare. At least, they won't exist in the same folder. Obviously, I took a chance to find someone who got thru the same dilemma to give some hints.

Taking the plunge...
jppineau

Postby jppineau » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:27 am

Darkstar, you were right.

Everything is appearing on both programs (ST3 & ST4 SE)

That being said, I am curious to know if there's a possibility to see where the patches come from... All of those ST3 imported patches appear as a SampleTank 2 instruments. I can retrieve some Miroslav 1, Sonic Synth 2, SampleMoog and SampleTron sounds but their names are lost into an ocean of patches.

Is it possible to rebuild a database with their source names, as it was in ST3?

Thanks for your tips. :)
jppineau

Postby DarkStar » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:00 am

Good oh :)

As this thread has been resolved for the user and the question about the names has been raised in a separate thread, it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More