Why isn't there special upgrade from ST 3 users

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Why isn't there special upgrade from ST 3 users

Postby anilnc » Sun May 19, 2019 8:08 am

Hi

I don't understand the concept. There is only one upgrade price, so that means, anyone who owns license for ST1 also can get ST4 upgrade for same price as for those who bought ST2, then upgraded to ST3. Why is that?
ST4, Syn2, Syn1, iLoud Micro
Windows 10x64, i7 7700k 4.2ghz, 32GB RAM, 3 internal HDD, Audio and Samples, Macbook Pro 2017 i7, 16GB. macOS Monterey
Cubase 12, RME UCX, MSI 1050gtx GamingX 2G, Nektar P4, PadKontrol
anilnc

Re: Why isn't there special upgrade from ST 3 users

Postby garfy » Sun May 19, 2019 11:11 am

I think the idea behind it is that those that have bought intermediate previous versions have had the benefit of access to the improving software over a number of years, so that's what they've paid for...if that makes sense.

Also, it's beneficial for a developer to encourage people to be on the most up-to-date software. IKM are not alone in this concept. Propellerhead do the same for their Reason software - you might have bought version 1 in 2001 but the upgrade to the latest version 10 is the same as if you were upgrading from v.9
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby anilnc » Sun May 19, 2019 11:27 am

Yes understood. But reason upgrade price was very low though. Keeping in mind, that before IKM gave different upgrade options, I got this doubt.
ST4, Syn2, Syn1, iLoud Micro
Windows 10x64, i7 7700k 4.2ghz, 32GB RAM, 3 internal HDD, Audio and Samples, Macbook Pro 2017 i7, 16GB. macOS Monterey
Cubase 12, RME UCX, MSI 1050gtx GamingX 2G, Nektar P4, PadKontrol
anilnc

Postby rollasoc » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:02 am

anilnc wrote:Hi

I don't understand the concept. There is only one upgrade price, so that means, anyone who owns license for ST1 also can get ST4 upgrade for same price as for those who bought ST2, then upgraded to ST3. Why is that?

It also means anyone wit ST1 can upgrade to ST4 Max for the same price as someone who owns ST4 SE. Which is annoying (unless I upgrade my ST3 to 4 Max and sell my 4 SE???)
rollasoc

Postby elpeax » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:51 am

rollasoc wrote:
anilnc wrote:Hi

It also means anyone wit ST1 can upgrade to ST4 Max for the same price as someone who owns ST4 SE. Which is annoying (unless I upgrade my ST3 to 4 Max and sell my 4 SE???)

Having used SampleTank 1 to this day would be a feat worthy of a generous upgrade offer, I think.

Seriously though, interestingly criticism like this reveals the part of human nature that wants to screw others in the name of justice. It's not really about the notion that you paid too much, but that the other person pays too little. It grinds our gears.
elpeax

Postby rollasoc » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:18 am

elpeax wrote:
Having used SampleTank 1 to this day would be a feat worthy of a generous upgrade offer, I think.

Seriously though, interestingly criticism like this reveals the part of human nature that wants to screw others in the name of justice. It's not really about the notion that you paid too much, but that the other person pays too little. It grinds our gears.

That was not my intention. My issue is it was £149 to buy ST4 SE and £199 to buy ST and £299 for ST Max. I own ST4 SE. So I have paid £149 into the ST4 eco system.

If I want to upgrade to Max my upgrade price once I log in is £199. So Max is costing me £349. (this is even worse if I'd bought the standard ST4)

If I didn't own ST4 SE it would cost me £199.

I have the ST4 engine, I have a few GBs of the total sounds. The upgrade price to Max does not make sense to me. It should at least account partly that I own the actual product engine.

At the end of the day, it just means, I won't be upgrading this round, nor possibly until ST 5 and then wait for the cheaper upgrade sale. It pays with IK (and other companies to be fair), not to buy things at release.

I'm very happy that anyone, without ST4 already can get Max for £199. I'm not one who generally suffers from sour grapes or even sweet lemons.
rollasoc

Postby elpeax » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:03 am

Yeah, I hear you. Another way to look at it is that the single non-upgrade buy-in for ST4 Max is a discount, so if you're a new customer there's the motivation to go for the most expensive package straight away, as upgrading later would end up costing more. I think that generally speaking this is pretty normal pricing strategy? I don't think it would make sense to offer an upgrade path that totaled cheaper than a single purchase, because new customers would be taking the upgrade path instead.
elpeax

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:09 pm

Existing loyal customers will be able to use JamPoints to get an even better deal. You can use JamPoints for an extra up to 30% off. Please see the JamPoints page for details on this great loyalty program: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/jampoints/
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby rollasoc » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:07 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Existing loyal customers will be able to use JamPoints to get an even better deal. You can use JamPoints for an extra up to 30% off. Please see the JamPoints page for details on this great loyalty program: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/jampoints/

That doesn't really help Peter. The point is. SE is the same price as ST normal at the moment i.e. 149 Euro. I own SE if I want to upgrade to normal. It is 149 Euro. That doesn't seem right. Given normally there is a 50 euro price difference between the two product.

I'm not saying it should be free. But it should also not be full upgrade price. Somewhere in the middle would be reasonable.

So I won't be partaking of upgrading at this time. It is not cost effective.
rollasoc

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:09 pm

rollasoc wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:Existing loyal customers will be able to use JamPoints to get an even better deal. You can use JamPoints for an extra up to 30% off. Please see the JamPoints page for details on this great loyalty program: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/jampoints/

That doesn't really help Peter. The point is. SE is the same price as ST normal at the moment i.e. 149 Euro. I own SE if I want to upgrade to normal. It is 149 Euro. That doesn't seem right. Given normally there is a 50 euro price difference between the two product.

I'm not saying it should be free. But it should also not be full upgrade price. Somewhere in the middle would be reasonable.

So I won't be partaking of upgrading at this time. It is not cost effective.

That can happen when there is a promotion on products or where a step between products is equal to the cost of having bought the upgraded version (SampleTank 4 in your case) at the same net value as if you had purchased it outright instead of wasting what you spent on SampleTank 4 SE. You can take advantage of these promotions or offers and JamPoints on top of that so I don't see where that's an issue? Or for the best value, I'd recommend upgrading to SampleTank 4 MAX. Also using your JamPoints to bring the price even lower.

In the end, you're upgrading from one level to the next, and you can save 30% with JamPoints.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:18 pm

Also note that SampleTank 4 MAX is $/€199.99 to upgrade in the Crossgrade Crunch promotion, which is an insane deal and indeed cost effective.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More