SampleTank 4 migration (Resolved)

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

SampleTank 4 migration (Resolved)

Postby tokenboomer » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:05 pm

Before I decided to purchase ST4 max I inquired about placing the contents on external HD. I was told this would be no problem. But pointing the contents to my external drive proved to be problematic. The ST4 material arrived more or less intact but anything associated with ST3 defaulted to my internal HD and all attempts to redirect it to the external HD failed. Eventually, I uninstalled everything and re-downloaded it to my internal SSD drive. Then it worked fine--apart from the bugs you're still working out. However, I do not want 25% of my internal hard drive taken up by ST4 max samples. I want those samples on my external HD. So what I want is specific instructions on how to move that material to my external HD. I'm 66 so please do not assume I understand a lot of techno-speak.

This is its current location: MacHD>Users>Shared>IK Multimedia

I have a mid-2015 MacBook Pro running 10.13.6. Logic 10.4.4

I have a large (3TB) external HD with the name "iTunes" where I want those samples to be moved. Specific instructions, please.

Greg McKitrick
tokenboomer

Re: SampleTank 4 migration

Postby garfy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:31 am

Hi Greg

This step by step assumes that you have both ST3 and ST4 sound content inside the IK Multimedia folder at the "current location specified as MacHD>Users>Shared>IK Multimedia" and you are running the latest ST4 (4.0.3)

1) Copy the folder "IK Multimedia"
2) Paste it into your external HD.
3) Start ST4 and go to Settings (Gear icon)> Sound Content.
4) Add pathways to the two separate content folders. This should mean that (using your info of drive names) you will see 2 new pathways named:

Volumes/iTunes/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3
Volumes/iTunes/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 4

Remove any other old pathways (I'm guessing the pathways to your internal HD or SSD)

5) Click Rescan Instruments
6) When the database has been rebuilt, try some presets to check the connections are working for both ST3 and ST4 content
7) Close ST4 and delete the sound content folder at "current location specified as MacHD>Users>Shared>IK Multimedia" (but don't empty your Trash just yet)
8) Re-open ST4 and it should be ready for use. Test it out for a while and, when you're happy that it's working from the sample content on the external, empty Trash.

I'm going to make a wild stab in the dark here and suggest that, if there are any problems, it may be because you've named your external as "iTunes." I'm basing this on absolutely nothing other than weird things happen sometimes, but by having an external named that and I surmise that you have your iTunes app pointed to it, there may be something happening in the background with Mac indexing/preference files/something else, that just makes the system a bit screwy. Like I say, I'm no expert, but stranger things have happened.

Hopefully that will help with getting all your content moved over and working. Let us know how you get on.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby tokenboomer » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:52 pm

Thanks for the response. I have copied the folder over to the iTunes HD. It is there but when I did "get info" by control-clicking the new location I discovered that what was copied has a when-created and last-modified date in late February. I thought this was odd because I have since downloaded 4.0.3 and Sound Library Update 1.3. The latter is something I assumed would modify that folder but it appears that it didn't--at least if it did my computer is not seeing this as a change. Could Sound Library Update 1.3 be updating something other than the contents of that folder? Just checking before I act on the rest of your instructions.

Greg
tokenboomer

Postby garfy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:13 pm

tokenboomer wrote:...when I did "get info" by control-clicking the new location I discovered that what was copied has a when-created and last-modified date in late February.

If you are talking about the overall "IK Multimedia" folder then mine is also showing modified on 28 February. I suspect that this was my original install date.

I presume any Library Updates will only affect the modified dates of the SampleTank 4 folder within the IK Multimedia folder as it is being applied direct into this. My modified date on my SampleTank 4 folder is 21 March which was about the time I installed the 1.3 Library Update.

The update to the app itself (4.0.3) isn't applied into the Sound Content folder or directory it goes elsewhere in the Applications folder.

Hope that adds some clarity.
garfy

Postby tokenboomer » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks,

Everything seems to be work fine except for a few bugs that were there before I changed drives. (London Grooves causes crashes, some ethnic patches are VERY quiet, ect.)

You've been very helpful. Thanks again.
tokenboomer

Postby garfy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:27 pm

For specific issues, such as crashing caused by London Grooves, I strongly suggest you open a ticket with IK Support here https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/ for some help specific to your system.

Otherwise I'm glad it's all working as you hoped.

As this post is resolved for the user it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy. If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
garfy

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More