SampleTank 4.03 Possible Crashing Solution/Tip

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

SampleTank 4.03 Possible Crashing Solution/Tip

Postby praisetracks » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:28 pm

So I have been doing some more experimenting with SampleTank 4.03 trying to narrow down what might be the source of the crashing I have been experiencing. With the introduction of the 4.03 update there is a new STREAMING tab in settings that allow you to adjust some memory and performance parameters. I tried different combinations of the settings and found my best experience happened when both were set to LARGE.

So now when I try loading consecutive patches in and out (especially the large piano presets) I am no longer getting the crashes and vanishing plugin as before. Using the standalone version I put a short demonstration together to share my preliminary results. As I mention in the video I believe SampleTank 4 has so much potential and as we progress in finding the outlying performance and crash issues I think it will mature into an even more amazing instrument.
Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/HuiK-mSd8ck

Joyfully,
Simeon
PraiseTracks.com
praisetracks

Re: SampleTank 4.03 Possible Crashing Solution/Tip

Postby praisetracks » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Well my joy was short lived as I was so focused on my initial success with the Pianos loading up.
A few users have directed me to some other presets (mainly some of the larger KeySwitched Electric and Acoustic) that are indicating the same crash behavior.

I am watching my Task Manager Memory percentage just go up into around the 6 GB range when switching between the Black FULL KS Electric to the Red Strat Full KS patches and seeing ST4 vanish. There is still a major memory management issue going on and hopefully the root cause or other optimization can be found.

I am able to get crash DMP files generated when hosting in Cakewalk by BandLab but the Stand Alone just vanishes without generating any source of a trace of log file so it is hard to nail down the culprit.

Will keep trying to find a common denominator.

Best,
Simeon
praisetracks

Postby mediamentor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Greetings,

I had some of the same issues In Studio One 4 Pro v4.... and increased my buffer size to 2048 min
and this helped with the larger sampled stuff. Not exactly the best setting for some instruments but strings sustained seemed to stay in check and not drift to bad.

MM
mediamentor

Postby praisetracks » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:32 pm

mediamentor wrote:Greetings,

I had some of the same issues In Studio One 4 Pro v4.... and increased my buffer size to 2048 min
and this helped with the larger sampled stuff. Not exactly the best setting for some instruments but strings sustained seemed to stay in check and not drift to bad.

MM

Thanks for the reply.
I only mention Cakewalk in the sense that it was able to generate a crash log when the problem occurred. I have mainly been testing this while using the standalone version and trying different Streaming settings there.

I m hopeful a solution/fix can be found to address this. It currently seems to be a problem with the larger ST4 instrument presets.

Joyfully,
Simeon
praisetracks

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:09 pm

Thank you for these posts, Simeon. I should be updating the SampleTank 4 Status thread soon with some issues once I get full verification from testing/development teams. There is likely one with large presets / possibly with switching them that will be there. Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby ski88keys » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:31 pm

Something I have noticed from the initial release, is when changing presets w the larger instruments...pianos and some KS guitars and such...ST4 indicates the loading is complete...but, if you have the macros showing, you will see it takes an extra second or so for them to change. So I’m wondering if there is a delay between when ST4 says it is done loading and the actual time when the Macros are finished loading. I am running on an SSD drive.
- SampleTank 3 and 4 Max, Total Studio 3, Komplete Ultimate, Studio One 3 Professional, Cantabile, + various sound and effects plug-ins
- I7-4700MQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10
- Kurzweil PC2, MKii 61, Focusrite 2i2
ski88keys

Postby ajhall98 » Thu May 20, 2021 10:56 pm

Was there ever an update or fix provided for this or is it being tracked somewhere else? I'm still having this issue. Thanks
ajhall98

Postby Peter_IK » Thu May 20, 2021 10:59 pm

If you are having an issue, IK Support would be able to assist you directly at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support

Note that the latest version of SampleTank 4 is 4.1.4 so there have been multiple updates since this thread was posted and/or last active.

Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More