Sample tank 4 cpu usage

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Re: Sample tank 4 cpu usage

Postby kcearl » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:52 pm

No the issues not the same with standalone, and the difference between the Daws cpu and actual cpu is a big difference. But when I can use 40gb 12 velocity layered pianos in Kontakt with no problems, but Sampletanks C7 sends its spiking all over the place lends me to believe that its sampletank that needs attention. The C7 in pianotek plays fine in comparision and sounds (nearly) as good (not sample based I know)

With a very lengthy download and install process (please see Arturia and NIs which is so easy in comparision) its a bit like rubbing salt in the wound. That was a days work and $300 for something only my main rig can handle.
kcearl

Postby garfy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:54 pm

I can appreciate the frustration when something doesn't work easily and first time, but..

kcearl wrote:No the issues not the same with standalone...

...would suggest something to do with the DAW and how it interacts with ST4, or your system as a whole. So, by putting a ticket into IK Support AND Ableton you will hopefully get one or the other to support you until it works to your satisfaction. You haven't posted your machine specs or OS so I can't comment much further on that. But, if the issue isn't present in the standalone, then it might not exclusively be down to ST4 when run inside a DAW.

Although I've only got LiveLite10, I've just loaded an instance of ST4 with C7 Grand Close Mic Natural into it and can play it without any issue at a buffer of 64 samples, with a CPU load comparable to when I use it in Logic Pro X. Specs of my somewhat vintage Mac are in my sig if you wanted to weigh them up against your own.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby kcearl » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:05 pm

Sure I can open a ticket, as for specs its s brand new i3 (7th gen 2.7 with 3.6 boost) 12gb DDR4 ram laptop...slow drive (1tb 54000rpm), and certainly not optimum for music production, but runs kontakt libraries with ease. Using separate instances of sampletank is a little better than a single instance, but Ill open a ticket anyway, I just dont expect too much.
kcearl

Postby garfy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:02 pm

kcearl

If the laptop is brand new and you haven't done any optimization for music tweaks yet, you should have a read of this article posted elsewhere on the forum by Peter_IK for some tips.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... indows-10/

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby kcearl » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks, yes it omptimised for Win 10, I meant its not the best specc'd laptop.

Im not going to turn this into a whinge fest I'll stick a ticket in. I can get the C7 and two string sets running in Ableton before the clicks and pops start...but its crashed twice in the past hour. I really want to like this update but its just not there for me, and part of the reason I moved to hardware years ago. Windows is a constant troubleshoot.
kcearl

Postby ski88keys » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:53 pm

kcearl wrote:Thanks, yes it omptimised for Win 10, I meant its not the best specc'd laptop.

Im not going to turn this into a whinge fest I'll stick a ticket in. I can get the C7 and two string sets running in Ableton before the clicks and pops start...but its crashed twice in the past hour. I really want to like this update but its just not there for me, and part of the reason I moved to hardware years ago. Windows is a constant troubleshoot.

I loaded 5 ST4 pianos in Studio One 3 Pro, took off the AC resonance, and the lid for all 5. Unplayable. I am running on an SSD drive and you can see the rest of the spec in my signature block. Not sure if it’s in there, but am turning 16gb RAM. Also, as mentioned above, 3rd party sampled piano only registered 3%. Best we can all do is keep reporting any issues to support and let them do what they do best. Hard to be patient, but not much else we can do. :D
- SampleTank 3 and 4 Max, Total Studio 3, Komplete Ultimate, Studio One 3 Professional, Cantabile, + various sound and effects plug-ins
- I7-4700MQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10
- Kurzweil PC2, MKii 61, Focusrite 2i2
ski88keys

Postby gordon44 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:30 pm

I edited my post above (1st sentence) for clarity. I re-read it and realized it wasn't worded so clearly.

So, - it was just a single instance of ST4, with multi (5) versions of C7 Grand Binaural - Natural on multiple tracks, all running simultaneously.

I definitely had to turn off the AC Reso and Convo Room effects, and could not lower the buffer (to 256) because of clicks/pops and dropouts.

I have copied your set up --- 512k buffer one instance of Sampletank 4 with 5 C7 binaural pianos all effects switched off
and the results I got were similar to the ones you posted --- Cpu usage in both Cakewalk Bandlab(Sonar) and Studio one is about 10% according to task manager
In studio one the % is showing as 35% but I think that is a multicore problem within this DAW

But (and you mention this in your post) the problem is if I use a usable buffer size for tracking say 128k, both DAW's are popping and crackling like mad when 5 or so high quality samples are added into Sampletank
which should not be happening ---
we are talking about one track within project, not a 50 track project
I think this is a problem--
Spec - i7 7700 4.20Ghz 16gb ram, Windows 10 home, Focusrite 214i,
Studio One, Sonar(Bandlab)
gordon44

Postby kcearl » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:48 pm

Ill try my imac and main rig and see if its an improvement

To use more than three instruments in ST4 i have to have my roland captures buffers set to max on my laptop
kcearl

Postby shmihe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:29 am

gordon44 wrote:
I have copied your set up --- 512k buffer one instance of Sampletank 4 with 5 C7 binaural pianos all effects switched off
and the results I got were similar to the ones you posted --- Cpu usage in both Cakewalk Bandlab(Sonar) and Studio one is about 10% according to task manager
In studio one the % is showing as 35% but I think that is a multicore problem within this DAW

But (and you mention this in your post) the problem is if I use a usable buffer size for tracking say 128k, both DAW's are popping and crackling like mad when 5 or so high quality samples are added into Sampletank
which should not be happening ---
we are talking about one track within project, not a 50 track project
I think this is a problem--

(1) instance ST4
(5) C7 Binaural - Natural (midi channel 1 / 5 separate stereo audio tracks)
Babyface Pro @ 48KHz and 512 buffer
ALL C7 insert fx turned off (due to pops and clicks @ 512, could not do 256 on this test)

Resource Monitor (Studio One 4) showed upto 9.6% overall CPU while hitting the keys hard (sustain pedal, smashing many notes at once). Once in a very great while got a click, surely due to those extremes.

Studio One/ST4 Memory usage was steady at 4GB

Multi-core IS happening, though one core is getting upto 100% load, the rest of the cores are between 10 and 30%. I am guessing that Studio One 4 is causing some uneven multicore use.

My ST4 drive is an external NVMe on USB C, but it seems that is loading a "swap file" on my system disk (also NVMe), - and I can see the activity accordingly. I was always looking for activity on my ST4 drive before, there is only the instrument loading/initial handoff to the system drive to be seen in ResMon.

As for the "usable buffer", 512 and 256 ARE usable tracking buffers for me with the RME. :mrgreen: I am a guitar player 1st, so I am more sensitive to latency (from using amp sims), and I can deal with 512 on the Babyface if I have to, keys and other VIs are way easier for me to handle.
shmihe

Postby gordon44 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:08 pm

I am a guitarist also - I use a gr55 and drum machine to input midi(rubbish on the keyboards :D ) the drum machine is ok but the gr55 adds a bit more latency, so I try and keep the buffer to 128k.

Looks like a mod has been added for this problem in the Sampltank 4 status post

So we will see what happens :)
gordon44

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Yes the status post has been updated with resource usage reports. There will be a setting available to help with this in an upcoming update.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby gordon44 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:56 pm

Thankyou Peter
I look forward to it
gordon44

Postby shmihe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:21 pm

Originally posted by ME:
[quote="shmihe"}

(1) instance ST4
(5) C7 Binaural - Natural (midi channel 1 / 5 separate stereo audio tracks)
Babyface Pro @ 48KHz and 512 buffer
ALL C7 insert fx turned off (due to pops and clicks @ 512, could not do 256 on this test)

Resource Monitor (Studio One 4) showed upto 9.6% overall CPU while hitting the keys hard (sustain pedal, smashing many notes at once). Once in a very great while got a click, surely due to those extremes.

Studio One/ST4 Memory usage was steady at 4GB

Multi-core IS happening, though one core is getting upto 100% load, the rest of the cores are between 10 and 30%. I am guessing that Studio One 4 is causing some uneven multicore use.

**Edited below in new part:**
My ST4 drive is an external NVMe on USB C, but it seems that is loading a "swap file" on my system disk (also NVMe), - and I can see the activity accordingly. I was always looking for activity on my ST4 drive before, there is only the instrument loading/initial handoff to the system drive to be seen in ResMon.
[/quote]
_________________________________________________________________________________
_________________________________________________________________________________

**I had saved the setup above as a "song" file in Studio One 4 last night, upon going back to try it out again today, I realized that my ST4 samples/content drive (NVMe in USB C enclosure is in fact being utilized. The system drive has a constant show of activity, whereas the ST4 drive only shows activity when the instrument is being played. The "Disk Activity" text info in ResMon: disk/program/file/samples are all listed for ST4 use on that drive.

Since I was only watching the graph charts after I played something, I wasn't seeing the kind of activity on graph as I saw for the system drive. I also was not looking at the files under disk activity, ONLY watching the graph. Now I know.**

I have not really had any problem with how ST4 was working, I only wanted to better understand how it works with memory and multiple disks. In this case, I think it is working as it should.

2 gigs of memory for ST4 to open, and 4 gigs when 5 C7s are added. I am interested to know how that works with the drives? The C7s seem to give back most(?) of the memory so far, when they are removed, hopefully all of the other instruments do the same.
New Issue here:
Anyhow, the multi C7 setup listed above, took multiple attempts to re-open in Studio One 4. It showed C7 (not sure which one) as "loading" but was not moving. It did load after rebooting S1-4 a couple times. This happened again a later time (same thing).

Okay, now it will not even finish loading ST4 (the C7s)...
shmihe

Postby kcearl » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Is anyone else getting crashes?

kept crashing last night, even with my measly three instruments loaded, either happened when shutting Ableton down or when emptying a slot then loading a new instrument.

Ive raised a ticket just wanted to know if Im on my own here.

Edit: oops I see Peter has raised this in the ST4 status thread.
kcearl

Postby jonatank » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:20 pm

:( :( :( :(

Very disappointed with the performance of sampletank 4 , if anybody know how to fix this problem please share im on macpro 5,1 44gb ram protools 2020 interface apollo
thnks .

cpu overload
jonatank

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More