SampleTank 4 [and 4.0.8] Now Available!

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Re: SampleTank 4 [and 4.0.2 + library updates] Now Available

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:25 am

dave_clark wrote:Hi Peter,

Thanks for the policy link. I'll post on KVR Audio in the future.

Regards,
Dave Clark

That's not really what it says. It states that it is OK but best to post or PM your ticket number. Just trying to help and avoid multiple "fixes" conflicting. Sorry if that was unclear.

Also, many times Ryan_IK will be able to either give a good tip or two to try in the meantime (me too, but Ryan is closer to support and testing, so he'd have better technical info most times) and help get you fixed up.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby thebeeze111 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:49 am

My latest dilemna-

I've discovered that I can't add more than 5 ST4 VSTi Plugin tracks in my DAW before it crashes.
No problem adding as many ST3 as I want. Tested this in 2 files and the same thing happened.

Uninstalled my DAW and ST4 to do reinstalls (noticed a new version of ST4 is out but I never got a notification) Problem still persists.

ImageSt4 reaper crash by Jesse Beeze, on Flickr

ImageSt4 reaper crash by Jesse Beeze, on Flickr

And yes, I've opened a trouble ticket #322375
thebeeze111

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:54 am

That may also have to do with how DAWs handle allotting CPU (and, less likely, RAM) and I know version 4.0.3 that is currently being tested covers some other reported crashing conditions so IK Support will be able to compare your results with the logged fixes and see if that will help.

I do have a question - are each of these instances fully loaded with parts? With SampleTank's multi-output capabilities, you can have dozens of parts with only two instances open. It is quite useful in that way, and would typically take up fewer resources which may help in this case. Just a suggestion in the mean time.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby thebeeze111 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:00 am

Peter_IK wrote:That may also have to do with how DAWs handle allotting CPU (and, less likely, RAM) and I know version 4.0.3 that is currently being tested covers some other reported crashing conditions so IK Support will be able to compare your results with the logged fixes and see if that will help.

I do have a question - are each of these instances fully loaded with parts? With SampleTank's multi-output capabilities, you can have dozens of parts with only two instances open. It is quite useful in that way, and would typically take up fewer resources which may help in this case. Just a suggestion in the mean time.

Peter,
Thanks for the quick response. I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to but each of the tracks you see listed has a single instrument assigned to it. This way I can adjust the levels and midi tracking individually per track. If there is a more resourceful way to do this, I'm all ears. There really isn't much in the way of a tutorial on how to use this thing with DAWs, more only as a standalone which doesn't help me too much.
thebeeze111

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:08 am

thebeeze111 wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:That may also have to do with how DAWs handle allotting CPU (and, less likely, RAM) and I know version 4.0.3 that is currently being tested covers some other reported crashing conditions so IK Support will be able to compare your results with the logged fixes and see if that will help.

Peter,
Thanks for the quick response. I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to but each of the tracks you see listed has a single instrument assigned to it. This way I can adjust the levels and midi tracking individually per track. If there is a more resourceful way to do this, I'm all ears. There really isn't much in the way of a tutorial on how to use this thing with DAWs, more only as a standalone which doesn't help me too much.

Oh I will certainly relay the request for better docs and especially a tutorial on setting up multi-output in DAWs as that way you can load multiple instruments inside one instrument and still control the MIDI channel, levels, effects, and such for each of them - and output to a different track in your DAW so typically you'd have a MIDI track and an audio output track for each. I've always loved this about SampleTank and I know that there are others that probably created multi-output templates in their DAW first thing after installing SampleTank 4.

Edit - I had to check, and you're using Reaper which should support this setup fine but I'm not a power Reaper user so let me see if others can chime in on that. I see our own moderator @DarkStar had posted a "howto" on the Reaper forums but it is from over 10 years ago so it may require some updated information: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=27868 (posted the link as it still may be a good reference - Reaper seems pretty good about not pulling the rug out from under you with how features work etc for the most part).
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby thebeeze111 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:11 am

Peter_IK wrote:Oh I will certainly relay the request for better docs and especially a tutorial on setting up multi-output in DAWs as that way you can load multiple instruments inside one instrument and still control the MIDI channel, levels, effects, and such for each of them - and output to a different track in your DAW so typically you'd have a MIDI track and an audio output track for each. I've always loved this about SampleTank and I know that there are others that probably created multi-output templates in their DAW first thing after installing SampleTank 4.

Peter, thank you. Do you have any material in the meantime that gives a good explanation/visual on how to do this?
thebeeze111

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:13 am

thebeeze111 wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:Oh I will certainly relay the request for better docs and especially a tutorial on setting up multi-output in DAWs as that way you can load multiple instruments inside one instrument and still control the MIDI channel, levels, effects, and such for each of them - and output to a different track in your DAW so typically you'd have a MIDI track and an audio output track for each. I've always loved this about SampleTank and I know that there are others that probably created multi-output templates in their DAW first thing after installing SampleTank 4.

Peter, thank you. Do you have any material in the meantime that gives a good explanation/visual on how to do this?

Sorry I didn't see this post, please see my edits above. Sorry for the confusion!
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby thebeeze111 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:00 am

Peter_IK wrote:Sorry I didn't see this post, please see my edits above. Sorry for the confusion!

Peter, I might be on to something here. When I first click to add a new track I get asked If I want to add multiple Stereo/Output tracks. Normally I say no, add my instrument and away I go.

This time I clicked yes. I added (2) Instruments under multis. Recorded a track with each and see the attached screen shot. The Midi track overlapped one another. The audio only played for the second (newest) recorded midi line and the audio appears on track 2 and 3 but the midi line remains on one. Also, I had to manually go into program on the irig keyboard and change the midi channel to change instrument as opposed to just arming different tracks. This makes no sense to me and seems super convoluted.

ImageST4-3 by Jesse Beeze, on Flickr

This is confusing. If anyone has any tips or tutorials, please send my way!
thebeeze111

Postby halfcack » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:59 am

I was fortunate on the third try. I have no idea what I did to make it work.

I deleted gigs of sounds that I would never use but I don’t know what finally made it work.

In the past even with windows all the paths were there and it worked.

I do not know this for sure nor do I know if it is a feature but GarageBand picks a sound out of the content folder makes a copy and doesn’t open st3 or 4.

I am not familiar with this kind of operation but wow do I ever like it. Maybe someone can explain if this is possible.

Thank you.
halfcack

Postby halfcack » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:13 am

Sorry, support over the phone is really tedious. While it is a necessity for a special problem, I found I’m usually more confused.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to do this.

Everyone is using Mac Or Windows. Wouldn’t it be easier for support to get together and make a simple quick start manual outlining the exact ways to install the program.

Once they had a foolproof way of installing the program, they could put it on this forum rather than talk to individuals for six hours at a time.

The simpler the better either 1,2,3 or a,b c. Do not deviate from these steps or undesirable results will be obtained.

Or, doesn’t it work that way ? Just a suggestion.
halfcack

Postby DarkStar » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:05 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Edit - I had to check, and you're using Reaper which should support this setup fine but I'm not a power Reaper user so let me see if others can chime in on that.

Here's some more recent info. And, don't panic, it takes longer to read than to do. ;)

If you are doing work with several instruments you probably want separate MIDI tracks and audio tracks for each instrument.

(1) Using combined instances of ST4
    (a) right-click in the TCP area below any existing tracks,
    (b) select "Insert virtual instrument on new track",
    (c) select the VSTi (SampleTank 4),
    (d) click [Yes] on the "Build Routing confirmation" window; that will create tracks for all of the audio outputs from the VSTi,
    (e) open the FX window for the VSTi track (click the [fx] button),
    (f) select [Options] >> "Build 16 channel of MIDI routing to this track",
    (g) disable RecArm on the VSTi track,
    (h) if Input Monitoring is Off for the "MIDI" tracks, select them all and turn it on (and turn it on in Preferences >> Track / Send Defaults >> Record config, for future use).
Now you will have 16 tracks sending MIDI (on channels 01 ... 16 respectively) to the VSTi and several tracks for the audio outputs from the VSTi. If you do not need separate MIDI input tracks, omit steps (e) ... (h)

Within the VSTi, load your instruments and set the routing for each one - receiving MIDI on a particular MIDI channel AND sending its audio to a particular audio output pair; depending on the VSTi you may need to do some additional configuration work within the VSTi itself (e.g. to create / enable the output channels).

Back in Reaper, name your MIDI tracks for their destination instruments and add the MIDI. Name the audio tracks too. Colour the tracks as you wish. SAVE them all as a Track Template.
Here's a pic showing the signal paths for SampleTank 3:
Image >>> http://i.imgur.com/AZmF0iO.pngh

----------------------------------
An alternative approach (which is better if you want to freeze an individual instrument):
(2) Using individual instances of ST4
    (a) right-click in the TCP area below any existing tracks,
    (b) select "Insert virtual instrument on new track",
    (c) select the VSTi (SampleTank 4),
    (d) click [No] on the "Build Routing confirmation" window; this approach does not need additional tracks for the output,
    (e) duplicate that track for as many instruments as you need.

Now you will have several tracks for the instruments.

For the first track, open the VSTi, load one instrument (if needed, set the routing for each one - receiving MIDI on a particular MIDI channel AND sending its audio to a particular audio output pair). Repeat for each of the other tracks.

Back in Reaper, name each track for its instrument. Colour the tracks as you wish. SAVE them all as a Track Template.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby halfcack » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:03 pm

I am completely astounded.

Nice work. Plus, out of all the expensive daws I had, I always used Reaper.

You are way above my level. I wasn’t pointing this at you. I apologize.

If I don’t know how a forum works, you lost me at the first sentence.

I will put a name down next time, I admire your work.

I take the blame for just wanting to write songs and leave out the step of learning the tools.

I will never use it as intended. I bought it for the sounds, mostly guitar sounds. The rest of it may as well not be there, I will never use it.

Thank you for taking the time to explain and again I apologize for taking your time up.

This was directed at ikmultimedia support who I think could write a step by step install process if we are back 10 years ago and the program doesn’t tend to itself, self install and work.

No offense to support at all intended. My saying that means I am ignorant. Not in the colloquial meaning but “not knowing the facts” or maybe I am not capable of understanding the complexities of what is trying to be done.

I am really old school without hiss is the best way to explain it. I spent thousands and thousands and thousands for analog gear that gave me more hiss than signal.

This is two fold because I went to a forum to find out why my new undated MacBook Air bought specifically for the SP4 is half signal half hiss.

I suppose I went overboard but it is a global problem affecting MacBook in general. There, I found engineers that do not know there is no hiss in the digital world, just hiss introduced at the input.

Since SP4 is not capable of producing hiss unless you want a roar of the ocean sample in your song I explained, it’s one’s and zeroes and there is no hiss there. My box is loaded this morning. I can’t wait to read the replies.

So, I am verbose as well and sorry for this long post. I have to make sure that you know this wasn’t in any way pointed at you.

I believe the final stroke was since I got the new MacBook Air explicitly to be used with SP4 which makes this post ok to post but I may be wrong.

So, I get it working and literally I have not heard hiss since the Yamaha DX-7 which also as a side effect, stayed in pitch, in the winter. summer, fall, humid days, dry days, car crashes etc.

I looked at a post from their support team that says the roar coming out of the internal speakers of the MacBook because the power supply is plugged in, sent me over the edge.

I am absolutely sure that the replies I have waiting will contain some of the most absurd comments I’ve ever seen, I will have to hold back to stay on the forum but the day that I not only got rid of hiss at the output of the machine with volume at full, I actually crossed over from having to pitch up or down my keyboards between songs to A-440, all the time.

So, I am bracing myself to read the first one, meanwhile, you were more important than that. I had to make sure that in no way was I criticizing you, or Peter or support, which I never do as a general rule, but I know you know what you are talking of and really, really care about others.

So, all this to say, sorry.

I thought it would have easier for IK or come up with and step by step procedure on how to installl SP4 for people that don’t care about coding but ultimately respect the work they have done on this project, to make it a simple process to go from install to doing final vocals in a few hours.

This hasn’t happened. I could see a few bugs coming up weeks after the release but not a plethora of major problems which starts initially on auto install of a program that I am responsible to self install for myself. I also am at complete fault for not ordering enough gigaspace and not doing my research on the size of the real GB.

If I were in the woods with no compass, that’s ok but the bar is so ridiculously high with digital products these are give me’s that shouldn’t happen. Someone had to have tried to install the program before shipping, I can just hope that was done.

The horse left the barn on this one. The only thing left is to write a step by step manual on what each user with no knowledge of coding, use to downloading and getting to work within a few hours has to do manually to get it working.

Please no one, especially Peter and support or users of this forum take offense. I could afford or be able to get any product I want with some help from 0% interest loans. I chose SP3 for the nine iPads I’ve owned. I came up with some really personally satisfying work using GB and SP3.

Well, I guess I put this as many ways as possible to say I was positive and sorry for anyone that took it as criticism when it was let’s try it this way.

Now, I go to app support to read posts that say the digital product ST4SE is causing the whole problem of half roar, half song because of such and such and so and so until I accept the loss of all the money I paid X 3.

Mine and two daughters because once again they will have to be little children and made by suit to replace or repair zillions of products as alreally done prior with another failure in the wings.
halfcack

Postby rx8doc » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:19 pm

The instrument noisy fm and white sequence both crash my sampletank 4, Can anyone else verify? the file size seems small on the usb drive thanks
Last edited by rx8doc on Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rx8doc

Postby DarkStar » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:36 pm

@ halfcack,

There is absolutely no need to apologise. All I was doing is providing more recent info about using SampleTank in Reaper. And it did not take much time - I copied and pasted it ;)

Persevere and once you get it, you'll really get it. :)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby bill4510 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:30 pm

Almost done downloading!!!!
bill4510

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More