Questions B4 purchase of ST4

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Questions B4 purchase of ST4

Postby k_sac01 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:31 am

I have a few questions b4 purchasing ST4. I am new to Sampler Tank and I have not tried the product yet. I use Ableton Live and I am a live solo performer. I combine audio tracks with midi tracks for the live performances. When working at home, I use a desktop computer, but when performing, I use a Surface Pro Tablet - this all works well.

Can I load the license on two computers?

The Surface Pro Tablet has 8GB of memory, but only 250GB HD with about 230GB free. Should I purchase the SE version or is it possible to only transfer the instruments I use to the Surface Pro?

Does the SE version come with any drum loops? Or is it just virtual instruments?

How well does ST4 work with Abelton, how long does it take virtual instruments load? I saw a video that made me think it looked a little slow.

Thank you
k_sac01

Re: Questions B4 purchase of ST4

Postby DarkStar » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:14 am

Hello k_sac01 and welcome to the forum.

First of all, you should download and install the free SampleTank 3 Custom Shop and its library; that will give you a good idea of some of the features of ST4.

1. If the licence is the same as for ST3 then
You may install and use the “IK Multimedia Product”, or any prior version thereof for the same operating system, on up to three (3) computers, provided that
(a) each computer is owned by (or leased to) and under the exclusive control of the licensee;
(b) the program(s) shall NOT be used simultaneously on more than one machine, ...

On two computers this would use 2 (of 10) authorizations.

2 Again if it is like ST3, you should be able to transfer only some of the instruments to the Surface Pro. Some users here have removed some instruments from their ST3 libraries.

3 Drum Loops in ST4 SE - don't know. IK Multimedia will be providing lists.

4 Try out ST3 in Live. But note that ST3 loads instruments fully into memory (so big ones take longer), and I think I saw (can't find it now) that ST4 makes use of disk-streaming.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby k_sac01 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:53 pm

Thank you for the info DarkStar
k_sac01

Postby k_sac01 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:24 pm

Controlling the number of instrument files on your hard drive.

Just downloaded ST3 Free Custom Shop and Sounds and began testing. I am happy to report that it will be easy to choose which instruments I will need on my Surface Pro, that is, if ST4 has the same installation procedure. First, the installation of ST3 DAW plug-in and standalone app are separate downloads and installations. Second, the location of the sounds are easy to find - on a PC - they will be located at c:\public\public documents\IK Multimedia\SampleTank3\ Instruments\..

It is also very easy to re-locate the sound files under "Settings" Disk Path - as I will need to do on my desktop since my hard drive is partioned.

SUGGESTION - Hopefully, IK Multimedia will maintain the ability to separately install the large sound files since my C:\users\public directory is still on my small C: partition and not my large D:\ partition. It is more critical that my data is protected in case of virus or crash if I have to do a Windows and software re-install, and allow for targeted back-up. I think it would be more helpful to be able to re-direct the location of sound files during the software installation.
k_sac01

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 pm

SampleTank 4 will allow for mapping multiple locations for sound libraries so it will be even more flexible!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby k_sac01 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:16 pm

Thank you! The stand-alone version does not work with my Arturia midi-controller, even though it recognizes the keyboard in the midi-controller settings, however, it kicks in fine when I use the plug-in in Ableton. Interesting, but it works where I need it, so I'm good with it.
k_sac01

Postby DarkStar » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:50 pm

What problems do you run into with the standalone / Arturia controller?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby k_sac01 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:39 am

Stand-alone - I can play the keys on the computer screen and get sound, but the Arturia keyboard will not trigger. Under settings > Audio/Midi - the Arturia KeyLab Essential 61 is listed under "Midi In" and is selected, but will not trigger the notes, either the sound or the computer keyboard graphic. Tested all up and down the keyboard, no keyboard triggering. Midi connection is USB.

Plug-In - When running as a plugin via Ableton, the keyboard is triggering the keyboard graphic on the screen and making the sounds, no problem.
k_sac01

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:47 am

k_sac01 wrote:Stand-alone - I can play the keys on the computer screen and get sound, but the Arturia keyboard will not trigger. Under settings > Audio/Midi - the Arturia KeyLab Essential 61 is listed under "Midi In" and is selected, but will not trigger the notes, either the sound or the computer keyboard graphic. Tested all up and down the keyboard, no keyboard triggering. Midi connection is USB.

Plug-In - When running as a plugin via Ableton, the keyboard is triggering the keyboard graphic on the screen and making the sounds, no problem.

That's definitely not normal behavior in the standalone. I'd recommend seeking official IK Support via http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support so they can troubleshoot with you directly to resolve this issue. Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More