Announcing SampleTank 4 - Pre-order now!

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Re: Announcing SampleTank 4 - Pre-order now!

Postby lewisalexander2018 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:33 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Hi, I understand it can be frustrating to wait but I'm sure your IT experience would likely also show that sometimes things don't go precisely as expected and this is a minor blip in the grand scheme of a complex and large release. Please don't oversimplify or imply that we don't test. Of course we do, and heavily. Again, though, any software release is going to carry some risk of minor issues and we'd rather have a slight delay (and still release on the announced date) than have any flaws (however minor) or atypical/unsatisfactory experiences with the release.

And it is indeed still February 21st and IK expects to have SampleTank 4 sounds available today for those that pre-ordered.

Thank you again for your patience.

lol, don't remind me. nothing worse than a 20 unit apple server distro with 60PB storage on one site, night before release, call come through saying one of the rack servers failed. went out, everything down because of one machine in the loop. dodgy PSU, replaced, all up in an hour. so yep, know what you mean and I'm happy to wait, just playing with thime, so when trying to get other work done, it just holds a few jobs up. not worth worrying about though.
Life is not worth getting stressed ver, it's too short, so live each day to the best you can. By the way, A FART is considered musical, just hold on to your hat for a long note.....
lewisalexander2018

Postby lewisalexander2018 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:37 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Hi, I understand it can be frustrating to wait but I'm sure your IT experience would likely also show that sometimes things don't go precisely as expected and this is a minor blip in the grand scheme of a complex and large release. Please don't oversimplify or imply that we don't test. Of course we do, and heavily. Again, though, any software release is going to carry some risk of minor issues and we'd rather have a slight delay (and still release on the announced date) than have any flaws (however minor) or atypical/unsatisfactory experiences with the release.

And it is indeed still February 21st and IK expects to have SampleTank 4 sounds available today for those that pre-ordered.

I meant to ask, for sampletank 4 max, how will the download be structured? a series of zip files or will you be using a installer download engine? It would be handy to know as running these downloads on a mac, if there's that many packages to download and monitor, etc, would a download manager be better?
Life is not worth getting stressed ver, it's too short, so live each day to the best you can. By the way, A FART is considered musical, just hold on to your hat for a long note.....
lewisalexander2018

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:47 pm

lewisalexander2018 wrote:

lol, don't remind me. nothing worse than a 20 unit apple server distro with 60PB storage on one site, night before release, call come through saying one of the rack servers failed. went out, everything down because of one machine in the loop. dodgy PSU, replaced, all up in an hour. so yep, know what you mean and I'm happy to wait, just playing with thime, so when trying to get other work done, it just holds a few jobs up. not worth worrying about though.

Everything's worse when a third party is involved (even dodgy hardware!) and in this case we use a great CDN but if something even slightly twitchy happens we have to rely on them to give guidance for some things that are in their control. As an ex-IT guy I really hate that feeling, but I guess we rely on others' code and hardware etc all the time and don't think about how well it goes a large percentage of the time.

We only notice the issues when it makes things a pressure cooker :)
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:02 pm

lewisalexander2018 wrote:

I meant to ask, for sampletank 4 max, how will the download be structured? a series of zip files or will you be using a installer download engine? It would be handy to know as running these downloads on a mac, if there's that many packages to download and monitor, etc, would a download manager be better?

It will be a series of compressed files selected from a dropdown like our other downloads. I'm not sure about using a download manager as I have not done so previously with our downloads.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby lewisalexander2018 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:05 pm

Are there any known issues with Mac OS 10.14 and handling of the zip files? remember the odd issue of how finder treated sampletank and other compressed data before? just want to check so there isn't any chance of data corruption.

200gb + well there's a few days of downloading.......
lewisalexander2018

Postby halfcack » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:39 pm

That’s the spirit, soldier !

Too much riding on this release. Too many names attached to it that would be financially devastated.

As good as support across all industry today, I want to do it one time. One time only. After that that, it’s pray and spray.

Deadlines are just fiction made to give an approximate date to those who require it so they can sleep at night.

As soon as you get rid of this kind of thinking, you will be a better person to those around you.

Why ? Experience with age yields wisdom.

Simplest example, telling to a toddler, don’t touch that red circle, age dependent, it will hurt you, a little older, it will disfigure your fingers and hands, a bit older, your career as a first chair musician is gone forever.

I bought wisdom, my choice. I never touched the round red burner that Moms said would hurt me.

This is as good as it gets for people that refuse to “get wisdom, buy wisdom whenever or wherever you can.”

It takes two forms. Be confounded at every point your life twists and turns.

You can be wise with the five words but that’s equivalent to putting “I have wisdom but don’t let it fool you, I’m as dumb as a rock written across your forehead. Also, I believe I can fly and breathe in “outer space.”

This is best case scenario. You are an “unpacker.” The second best is make the round peg fit in the square hole even if it takes a sledgehammer.

This leads to high blood pressure, even if you don’t have the disease. This leads to outrage and the feeling that ik as a whole, is holding up your career, one hundred calls and emails to support, I'll be conservative and the words “I am going to sue you” will come up once.

My only answer, sir, you don’t even have a lawyer.

I have never believed in begging on a street corner holding a sign, I need alcohol.

This age of kick butting, pre funding, I only need a chance, start down money, pre-order is literally the same as above.

If anyone can talk someone with a you tube vid to pay for an air ball, I personally love it. Yup, I’ll put a pre-order in but do not charge my card until merchandise is shipped or delievered.

No costs to them, rules prevent nasty side effects like suing and they do have a lawyer and your money.

According to my executive order at 5:30 am est 2-21-2019, it is 2:18 pm est in Italy. There isn’t even es-t anymore. It was an abbreviation for dumb.

Viewing all these polite posts I understand the consternation of wanting to be first in the world to be up and running. I was guilty to extreme measures in my yuth as well.

Give them some air. Let them think. It won’t be going out today, you do understand that don’t you. If I didn’t intervene, it is already the 22nd, so who is still anxious.

Let them get it right the first time so you can give the world who is crying their eyes out to hear your version of “Frankenstein,” Edgar Winter, number one on all world charts, including country, as soon as possible, a second time.
halfcack

Postby Mechlad » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:53 pm

...and still I soldier on...
Mechlad

Postby lewisalexander2018 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:02 pm

would someone please fetch the laughing doctor? I'm a little concerned here lol

Why worry, time is time, you cannot change time, by the time you think about it, that time has disappeared and cannot be re-used. therefore, if a fart goes out, it's already gone, made it's contribution to the local environment and disappeared, leaving behind a series of reactions and affects.

so, as I wait with patience and due respect for the egg to hatch, I shall hum the tune to Jean Michell Jarre's Rendezvous 2 as today has been an interesting ride. may it continue into the night as presently, I'm waiting on news which could help me recover from hell.

enjoy this new software, by heck I know I will, question is, will a dying 2012 13" macbook pro enjoy it, or will it leave a small smiling pile of CPU in the corner next to the litter tray (sorry printer)
lewisalexander2018

Postby halfcack » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:04 pm

That’s it, I’m proud of you being a voice in the wilderness.
halfcack

Postby silver-machine » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:06 pm

Hi
I would have thought that a little explanation to update us would help
Not a peep!!yet.
No News is good News!! :D
silver-machine

Postby lewisalexander2018 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:07 pm

halfcack wrote:That’s it, I’m proud of you being a voice in the wilderness.

thanking you kindly good sir. I was somewhat perplexed by your long post, loved it though, but perplexed. For a minute, I thought someone's on the Guiness again with a shot of Red Bull thrown in (CRAP..... PRODUCT PLACEMENT!)
lewisalexander2018

Postby silver-machine » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi

Is all these downloads later going to jam the system up with 200gig per person??? :D

Bring on the Quantum Jump Comp :P uters!!

Has Sampletank 4 Max sunk off the coast of Italy??? :roll: :shock:
silver-machine

Postby lewisalexander2018 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:25 pm

silver-machine wrote:Hi

Is all these downloads later going to jam the system up with 200gig per person??? :D

Bring on the Quantum Jump Comp :P uters!!

Has Sampletank 4 Max sunk off the coast of Italy??? :roll: :shock:

Hmmmm well it's getting to that time of night where Sky broadband gets about as much abuse as a seagull walking into Greggs for a free bag of crisps. We can only keep our fingers crossed and pray to the great server in the sky.

Welcome to Microsoft Gerbil. Server for the masses, Please wait while the 3.5 billion gerbils power up the server ready to distribute your download. If for some reason your download fails, it's due to Gerbil tea break where the odd gerbil might just decide to relieve itself on a spare disk...... NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Microsoft Gerbil Server Recovery. Please wait while the disk one of the gerbils offended is restored to good health and a disciplinary matter is brought forth against the gerbil in question.... More tea vicar?
lewisalexander2018

Postby silver-machine » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi

You forgot about the GREMLINS' :evil:
silver-machine

Postby lewisalexander2018 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:32 pm

silver-machine wrote:Hi

You forgot about the GREMLINS' :evil:

Gremlins are against my religion........ LOL!

yep, that's about it....

P.S: I can't believe I'm listening to a really crap advert for a product on TV. I'd rather listen to rain on a tin roof or someone ringing out a wet gerbil.
lewisalexander2018

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More