Sampletank 3 crashing Sonar

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Sampletank 3 crashing Sonar

Postby sherloc987 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:52 am

Hi all,

Earlier this year I custom built I new studio computer and immediately ran into some repeated crashing issues with it after setting it up. At the time one of the main culprits for causing the crashes seemed to be ST3.

With the amazing help of some of the good folks on these forums I worked through most of my issues and discovered things I had forgotten to deal with when setting up my system and all was well, or so I thought.

Despite the fact I solved many of the problems I was having with my new system, I now realise that because of the repeated ST3 issues I was having I simply began to stop using it in my productions as I had time critical work to complete so I deferred to my proven stable plug-ins. Recently I reached for ST3 again as I knew it had a particular sound I needed and boom - we are on the first train straight back to crash-ville again.

My system is a core i7 7700 with 32Gb of ram and SSD's for both system and sample drives - plenty of grunt to run all I need. [mod edit - suspicious links removed] However even an empty project with a single instance of ST3 called up - play a good bunch of notes in fast succession and Sonar crashes and the report window points to ST3 as the cause.

I wondered if it was because I had the ST3 plugin on the system drive and the sample data on the sample drive - but tonight I tried moving all the sample data on the standard installation path on the system drive but to no avail - 1 instance, handful of notes and boom.

Strangely ST3 runs absolutely fine on my older, slower laptop with only 8Gb and a mech HDD - Go figure?

Anybody got any wisdom to impart on this problem I would be glad to hear it!!

Thanks in advance
Last edited by sherloc987 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
sherloc987

Re: Sampletank 3 crashing Sonar

Postby garfy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:34 pm

Hello sherloc987 and welcome (back?) to the forum.

So, I guess the obvious questions are 1) do any other virtual instruments exhibit the same problems in Sonar and 2) does the same problem occur in ST3 if you run it as standalone?

If the answer to both these questions is no and you have got the most up-to-date version of ST3 (and Sonar) installed then I would suggest putting a ticket into official IK support for some one-to-one help, if no one else chimes in here, as it sounds potentially like an issue related directly to your system.

You can contact support here https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/ and please report back if the problem gets fixed.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby zzz00m » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:15 pm

sherloc987 wrote:
Strangely ST3 runs absolutely fine on my older, slower laptop with only 8Gb and a mech HDD - Go figure?

Anybody got any wisdom to impart on this problem I would be glad to hear it!!

Thanks in advance

Hope you get this fixed! But I will share that I have an older version of Sonar (2017.10), the last version released before Cakewalk development was shut down last year, as well as the new Cakewalk by Bandlab. SampleTank 3.7.3 works fine on both here.

The latter DAW is a currently supported and updated product with the full Sonar feature set (minus 3rd party content), and is available as a free download. Highly recommend upgrading, and keeping Sonar installed. Your Sonar plugins will then be available in Cakewalk: https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

So far I have not had any SampleTank crashes in either of these DAWs. It's probably not much help here, but if the older system is running the same software versions without issues, you might want to look into what is different on the new system, such as 3rd party drivers or configuration preferences on the MIDI playback buffers, etc.
zzz00m

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:13 pm

Great advice above.

Unfortunately I'm not 100% sure OP's post is legit (removed some suspicious links, first post and hasn't returned, etc).

OP - please review viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19505 and return to comment on the suggestions made here or if you've got the issue resolved. This is a community and people who are very helpful deserve a response back for trying to assist and/or inform you.

From the guidelines linked above:
...please make sure you return to your post and acknowledge others who have taken time to answer and/or help you. If the person who posts does not return for a long period of time, we may assume the topic is no longer of interest to them and take appropriate action.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:16 pm

Looks like a carbon copy of http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=3682989&fp=1 without the signature...

Legit post?
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby zzz00m » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:26 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Looks like a carbon copy of http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=3682989&fp=1 without the signature...

Legit post?

I believe you have nailed it on this one Peter! I should call you Sherlock now. :P

This OP appears to be spam, copied word for word from that old post at the other forum. His 1st post here too!
zzz00m

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:11 pm

They're adapting! Just as the mods are onto the "copy a post from this forum word for word and add spam links" M.O., they adapt and start copying from other related forums. Amazing.

Time for another meme, then, I suppose:
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby zzz00m » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:17 pm

Peter_IK wrote:They're adapting! Just as the mods are onto the "copy a post from this forum word for word and add spam links" M.O., they adapt and start copying from other related forums. Amazing.

You could also ban all link posting from new members, until a certain number of post counts was reached. That would discourage the one and done type of spam link posting.
zzz00m

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:36 pm

zzz00m wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:They're adapting! Just as the mods are onto the "copy a post from this forum word for word and add spam links" M.O., they adapt and start copying from other related forums. Amazing.

You could also ban all link posting from new members, until a certain number of post counts was reached. That would discourage the one and done type of spam link posting.

Yes I had thought about that but someone mentioned that with the accounts tied to having to have an IK account that might not be necessary. I'm thinking it might be, and will probably agree STRONGLY next time I have to do some spam cleanup :D
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More