Sampletank 3 - undocumented options

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Sampletank 3 - undocumented options

Postby Christiank92170 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Hello,

Does someone know what these two options do (detune and mix) ?

https://imgur.com/a/NCF7NvX

They are in the EDIT pannel, in ther sample part and they appear after selecting "2" in the combobox.

I found no information in the pdf manual nor in the forum.

Thanks
Best regards
C.
Christiank92170

Re: Sampletank 3 - undocumented options

Postby DarkStar » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:23 pm

The "2" means Oscillator 2. It can be detuend away form the Osc 1 Frequency and the Mix of the two controlled.

In the small print in 5.3.1 and 5.3.2 in the User Manual ;)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Christiank92170 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Hello Darkstar

Thanks for your reply. I have the 3.6 manual of sampletank (but sampletank is 3.7.3). The manual is the one i have downloaded from my user section.
Section 5.3.1, 5.3.2 and 5.3.3 describe the "pitch", the "fine" and the "bend". But not "detuned" and "mix". And no where the manual is talking about these two oscillators.

If I am correct, they have nothing todo with the two LFOs that are used for modulation. In the manual, I cannot find an explanation about that two oscillators and their usage. But after a sharp look on the Sampletank interface, you are right, there is the name "osc" in the sample part.

And so I am lost in my understanding of the sample part. For me it was a way to change the samples.

Do you know about a document describing Sampletank 3 architecture in depth?

Again thanks for your time.
C.

PS: english is not my native language, sorry for my errors.
Christiank92170

Postby DarkStar » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:12 pm

The User Manual I have is dated July 2017. It should have been installed when you installed the v3.7 software.

You are correct; they are not related to the LFOs. They are used by the ST3 sample engine (User Manual 5.3.5). The only explanation I have seen is in the ST2.5 manual "­­­­­­­­­SampleTank­­­­­­­­­ uses­­­­­­­­­ samples­­­­­­­­­ as­­­­­­­­­ oscillator­­­­­­­­­ waveforms­­­­­­­­­ but­­­­­­­­­ with­­­­­­­­­ a­­­­­­­­­ synth­­­­­­­­­ engine­­­­­­­­­ that­­­­­­­­­ is­­­­­­­­­ much­­­­­­­­­ more­­­­­­­­­ flexible­­­­­­­­­ than­­­­­­­­­ conventional­­­­­­­­­ hardware­­­­­­­­­ samplers.­­­­­­­­­"

My own guess is that few people use this feature with a deep understanding, rather they pick one of the synthesis modes, adjust the controls and see if they like the sound produced.

Sorry, I do not know of any ST3 architecture document.

And your English is fine (unlike the errors in those highlighted sections of the User Manual). :)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Christiank92170 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:35 pm

Thanks.

I found the latest manual in "C:\Program Files\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 3". :-)

Best regards
C.
Christiank92170

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:21 am

Yes, for those unaware of the location of installed software manuals please review this FAQ: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/2497 Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More