Transfer library from laptop to external hard drive

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Transfer library from laptop to external hard drive

Postby block70 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:34 pm

I am having trouble transfering my SampleTank Max 3 library from my Macbook which is getting full to my external hard drive. Can I get some guidance here? Thanks.
block70

Re: Transfer library from laptop to external hard drive

Postby DarkStar » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Hello block70 and welcome to the forum.

Can you let us know what specific problems you are running into? Otherwise we would only be guessing and could go off down the wrong path.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby block70 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:30 pm

I tried copying the Sampletank3 folder and app from my internal hard drive to my external and link that location to the source of the library in preferences but it showing empty when I do so, and I cannot see any instruments.
block70

Postby garfy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:37 am

block70 wrote:I tried copying the Sampletank3 folder and app from my internal hard drive to my external and link that location to the source of the library in preferences but it showing empty when I do so, and I cannot see any instruments.

This is partly the correct way of doing it. However, you must leave the SampleTank app on your system drive as this is where your DAW and OS will access the main software.

Transferring the large SampleTank content folder to another drive and updating the link in preferences should work. Did you refresh the browser in SampleTank after you had moved the library?

Either way, you need to ensure that the main app is working from your system drive properly again otherwise that may give you further problems.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby block70 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:01 pm

I have left the app on the system drive and can open it, but when I point to the library(source file) nothing comes up. And yes I refreshed the browser in preferences. I think I should download the files again from IK Multimedia user area and point to the external drive.
block70

Postby garfy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:13 pm

If you have the MAX content, re-downloading is a very long job.

When you had it saved on your system drive before you moved it, was everything working correctly? Have you checked that the file structure within the SampleTank folder is still intact in Finder? For example, the Instruments and Sample folders are in there and have content in them.

Also, just to check, the folder you moved to the external had the original path of HD>Users>Shared>IK Multimedia>SampleTank3 and not the one that is installed in your Documents folder?

I would explore these avenues before going through the rather tedious task of download/install again.
garfy

Postby block70 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:58 pm

The advice you gave has helped, I was using the folder in the Documents section.

You saved the day. Now all I need to know is where to find my free steel drum sound content.
block70

Postby garfy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:09 pm

block70 wrote:The advice you gave has helped, I was using the folder in the Documents section.

You saved the day. Now all I need to know is where to find my free steel drum sound content.

Excellent! Glad to have helped.

As for the Steel Drum content, you should be able to find that in your user area under Sound Downloads for SampleTank.
garfy

Postby r.overbeek@hotmail.com » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:33 am

sampletank 3 in windows 10. moveing files to D or external drive.
1. copy+paste sampletank3 folder from C program files>ik multimedia>sampletank3.
Do not create new folder in D drive..just locate D drive or external drive, highlight and paste.
2..go to sampletank 3 and open. click settings and then browse. scroll to D or external drive letter then scroll to sampletank3 folder in that drive, click to highlight, then click okay. this will put your disk path in sampletank3.
3..click refresh library.
4. Play synth in this disk path to be sure all works good.
5.. when deleteing sampletank3 librarys from C drive, be sure to delete the folder from " Public documents" !! NOT from C program files."..
now all sounds should be working good with D drive, and your OS will have much more free space....hope this helps someone.
r.overbeek@hotmail.com

Postby vspence » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:20 am

no matter where they are installed I get a cannot locate at path etc.I have sampletank 4 se and se 3. where are the files supposed to reside on a mac? i have tried external and main drive(where I don't want to put them). OS 10.13.6
vspence

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:25 pm

vspence wrote:no matter where they are installed I get a cannot locate at path etc.I have sampletank 4 se and se 3. where are the files supposed to reside on a mac? i have tried external and main drive(where I don't want to put them). OS 10.13.6

See garfy's reply above for the default location but you should be able to point SampleTank to wherever you move them. This sounds like you need direct technical support officially from IK Support. They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support

Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby vspence » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:36 pm

nothing works!!! give an example because it just doesn't work! Do you need to make an alias before you move the files to external drive? Everything else, every other program works just fine except this.
vspence

Postby DarkStar » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:44 pm

As Peter suggested, contact Technical Support, on the link above, for some one to one guidance.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby garfy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:21 pm

vspence wrote:nothing works!!! give an example because it just doesn't work! Do you need to make an alias before you move the files to external drive? Everything else, every other program works just fine except this.

No, you don't need to make an alias as you are moving the content (and not the app) and then reconnecting them inside AT4.

I'm assuming you have installed everything on your OS drive and had worked previously to you trying to move the content.

1) Copy the content folder from (if installed default) HD/Users/Shared/IK Multimedia
2) Paste to secondary/external drive. Pathway will now be (something like) NewSSD/IK Multimedia.
3) Open ST4 and under Settings>Sound Content add the new pathways DIRECT to the SampleTank folder(s) inside the IK Multimedia folder in the new pathway e.g. /Volumes/NewSSD/IK Multimedia/SampleTank4.

That's it. No alias, no symlink. Once tested thoroughly you can delete the content from the original location.

If the above doesn't work then either something went wrong during initial installation or something has been changed as you've been trying to move it previously. Either way, a ticket to official support will give you the one-to-one help you may need.
garfy

Postby MARIOSINGERMX » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:21 am

r.overbeek@hotmail.com wrote:sampletank 3 in windows 10. moveing files to D or external drive.
1. copy+paste sampletank3 folder from C program files>ik multimedia>sampletank3.
Do not create new folder in D drive..just locate D drive or external drive, highlight and paste.
2..go to sampletank 3 and open. click settings and then browse. scroll to D or external drive letter then scroll to sampletank3 folder in that drive, click to highlight, then click okay. this will put your disk path in sampletank3.
3..click refresh library.
4. Play synth in this disk path to be sure all works good.
5.. when deleteing sampletank3 librarys from C drive, be sure to delete the folder from " Public documents" !! NOT from C program files."..
now all sounds should be working good with D drive, and your OS will have much more free space....hope this helps someone.

Hello, i have windows 10, C disc it's a SSD with 2 tb but at this time 400gb free. I recently bought total studio max 3.5 so i will not have space for this upgrade. I have a question. Do you know how do i have to move the folders from C to external Disk? I want to move all the content of IK multimedia.
Thank you.
MARIOSINGERMX

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More