What do the Miroslav instrument numbers mean?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

What do the Miroslav instrument numbers mean?

Postby dadly1 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Now that I've sprung for the full Miroslav Philharmonik, there are s-o-o many options. I'm looking for ways to understand what sounds to expect from their names in the listings. For example, what would "14 Violins Detache 0,4" vs "14 Violins Detache 0,6?" I think u and d must be upbow,downbow but what are those comma-separated numbers?

I've watched many videos about Miroslav on the internet, but I'm finding I need more "how to" info than I've found so far. If you're aware of any other resources, please share. And thanks.
:?:
dadly1

Re: What do the Miroslav instrument numbers mean?

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue May 15, 2018 6:23 pm

Hey dadly1,

Thanks for your post.

Check out the tutorial series below. This should help getting started with Miroslav Philharmonik 2.

Below is a quick list that should help here for Miroslav Philharmonik 2 abbreviations.

d - Bow stroke down
u - Bow stroke up
Numbers - Length in seconds of the portato
Alt - Alternate version
brt - Bright
mod - Modulation
St - Stereo
d-u - Bow stroke down / up alternating
Dn - Down stroke
fm - From
Intv - A recorded interval slide or trill
Rec - A recorded articulation, like a recorded slide or trill
a - Variation A
b - Variation B
Esp - Expressive (espressivo)
d&u - Bow stroke down and up
Po - Portato
MN - Mono
Hd - Hard
ST - Stereo
Mal - Mallet, as in hard mallet or soft mallet
MT - Mute
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby dadly1 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks for the info, Ryan. Does this mean that the numbers signify the maximum time (sec) I will have for a pitch-bended note to get from the start note to the target note; and that the start note would get played and bended again after the time limit has elapsed? Or am I completely off base about the meaning of "portato?"

I guess I'm asking how would I ever make use of those little numbers in practice?
dadly1

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu May 17, 2018 9:50 pm

These numbers are to be used when selecting the perfect sound for your arrangement. As the actual release is recorded in these samples, this time will help you if you need a slight shorter or longer recorded note. Try selecting two sounds in Miroslav Philharmonik 2 with a higher or lower number value in the name. Notice the differences in time and how these can affect the feel of a particular note.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby DarkStar » Fri May 18, 2018 10:15 am

So the difference between "14 Violins Detache 0,4" and"14 Violins Detache 0,6?" is 0.2 seconds release time?

(Many countries in Europe use a , as the decimal separator, the UK and US use a .)

As a confirmation test, load both instruments, set the MIDI Channel to 1 for both, route them to different outputs (3+4 and 5+6) to avoid the standard added reverb). Play a single note, record the outputs from each in your DAW and compare the two audio files.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby multimedia5 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Hi
Can someone please explain to me the meaning of (Oboe Sus mp 5,0 LP).
Thank you
multimedia5

Postby Ryan_IK » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:46 pm

multimedia5 wrote:Hi
Can someone please explain to me the meaning of (Oboe Sus mp 5,0 LP).
Thank you

This would be an Oboe "Sus", or sustained instrument, played "mp" or mezzo-piano. The "LP" stands for looped. The "5,0" is the length in seconds of the note.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby multimedia5 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi, Thank you for the explanation it is very helpful.
Is there a way to control the dynamic of the sound in Miroslav Philharmonic 2 ?.
Thank you.
multimedia5

Postby Ryan_IK » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:22 pm

multimedia5 wrote:Hi, Thank you for the explanation it is very helpful.
Is there a way to control the dynamic of the sound in Miroslav Philharmonic 2 ?.
Thank you.

Glad I could help. To answer your question, yes, there are multiple ways to affect your dynamics in Miroslav Philharmonik 2. I suggest using the EDIT page for fine edits, but using your MACRO controls for over all control. If you can elaborate on what dynamics you mean exactly, I can make a suggestion.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby multimedia5 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:37 am

Hi, I use Spitfire samples. And I want to use Miroslav Philharmonic the same way.
I always try my best to make the strings sound more realistic. By assigning an external midi controller fader to control the dynamic of the samples when I'm playing or recording.
(violin) Ex: PP. P. MP. MF. F. FF changing from one level to another one just by moving the fader. or the mod wheel, CC1.
( Golden rules: Never/rarely ever stop moving CC1/Mod Wheel, with sample libraries)
It will be very appreciated if you can help.
Thank you.
multimedia5

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:26 pm

In Miroslav Philharmonik 2 try using the different VS, MW, or KS instruments. These different acronyms show the different functions of these instruments. VS is an indication of 'Velocity Switch' instruments which change articulation with velocity. MW is a 'Mod Wheel' controlled instrument, these will change articulations with the different positions of the Mod Wheel of your MIDI controller (Or the on-screen Mod Wheel). The KS stands for 'Key Switch', these are Key Switch instruments which can switch articulations with the different allotted keys. These show in red when active on your on-screen keyboard and black when in-active.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby multimedia5 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:02 am

Hi,
The closest to what I'm looking for is VS. And even with VS, there is only 2 option (violin trills half step) (Vln Trills half step Fast) Is shame that in the whole Strings section they have only 2 VS We may call it Dynamic. Normally, each instrument should have Dynamic control Because it's necessary. Miroslav Philharmonic 2 sounds wonderful But when it came to functionality it's Incomplete maybe 20 years ago... I think IKmultimedia should Fix it before start selling it. And not letting the buyers suffer and waste time with it In forums...just to find out how to make their products work. In the end, to fix the Dynamic option to this library it has to be done by computer Programmers. Now, I'm not going to use. It's just wast of money and time.
Thank you for your help.
multimedia5

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:32 pm

It sounds like my reply may have been taken the wrong way. Each instrument should react to velocity dynamically as well as through the use of the different Macro controls and MIDI control in the EDIT page. These extra KS, MW, and VS instruments only have extra functionality on top of the different existing controls. The control you sound like you are looking for may be the Expression control which is Macro 1 on most instruments.

If these controls don't help you get the result you are looking for, another option which you may like would be Layer/Velocity splitting, with the use of MULTI instruments. Check out the different MULTI instruments for examples of this already set up (For example "String Ensemble 1") . What I like to do is set my velocity ranges and my note ranges to the different dynamic and expressive articulations for each instrument. This allows me to have the exact feel I want with out too much extra control necessary. Check the top of the EDIT page for the LO - Note - HI control as well as the LO - Velocity - HI control.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby andreas.pratsch » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:40 pm

Ryan_IK wrote:In Miroslav Philharmonik 2 try using the different VS, MW, or KS instruments. These different acronyms show the different functions of these instruments. VS is an indication of 'Velocity Switch' instruments which change articulation with velocity. MW is a 'Mod Wheel' controlled instrument, these will change articulations with the different positions of the Mod Wheel of your MIDI controller (Or the on-screen Mod Wheel). The KS stands for 'Key Switch', these are Key Switch instruments which can switch articulations with the different allotted keys. These show in red when active on your on-screen keyboard and black when in-active.

This was very helpful! ModWheel Control is what i was looking for! Is it possible to combine this with the KS feature? Because i can't find any Brass Sound with MW feature :(
andreas.pratsch

Postby JacqueH » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:57 pm

I do not understand why the information about what the numbers mean is not part of the manual! Thank you Ryan_IK for providing it.
JacqueH

Next

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More