ST3 install with external sample drive

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

ST3 install with external sample drive

Postby pcarey3 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:13 pm

Greetings.
I've been a Sample tank user for a long time, but until now, I used it as installed and didn't have to mess with it. ....that's changed. I bought upgrade for Total Studio Max, then upgraded to Total Studio Max 2 for reasons you'll see below.

I'll admit up front that I've made a hell of a mess on two drives, but I'm not getting the language of this install. In my own defense, although this is embarrassing and I'm a musician not a computer tech, I'm not an idiot....I've been making recordings (many dozen CD's for clients) since a huge hard drive was 40meg and used Voyetra and Mastertracks Pro.

In the process of building a new studio, I got a Trashcan Mac...250Gig SSD. I realized that was limited space but was confident that all sample content was going to go to my external Sample drive. In my adventures with ST3 I've just about run out of space on the SSD...not acceptable.

many weeks ago, because of a project I was working on, I bought Orch Percussion. I couldn't get it to work...as I found out, was to be the case with all subsequent upgrades.

...Here is the issue...Every sample (and whatever else I can get to work on it) has to go to external drives. I have tried for weeks to find a way of installing that gets the samples to the sampledrive, but installation onto the SSD. I made a mess of things and finally got a ticket for tech support. There are many questions I couldn't get an answer to and hope to get them here!!

1. When I start to install and open the "sound content" folder I see: an "instrument" folder and a "sample" folder. I started assuming that "sound content" was samples and, when prompted, directed the installer to put "sound content" on my sample drive. I got ST3 to work in standalone mode, but I couldn't get it to work in Cubase or Protools.
....so that install must be wrong!! and one of the install experiments put 20gig of stuff on the SSC that I can't find!

Is the best solution to erase everything (using what best "uninstall" method?) and reinstall everything?
Is the best solution to "reinstall" differently on top of what's there?
In the settings window, What is the essential difference between "disk path" and "destination"?
Other than the initial process, I don't recall getting to opportunity to direct ST3 to the samples folder. If I direct the reinstall to the SSD will it try to put the samples there? Do I use the "import samples" button to do this from inside ST3 settings?
There are more questions, I know its a lot and a mess...but...

Thanks, Any help appreciated,
Peter
pcarey3

Re: ST3 install with external sample drive

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:26 pm

What is your ticket number? Seems any of our techs should be able to adeptly answer any (all) of these questions without difficulty.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby pcarey3 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:46 pm

request #445018

I've had several short responses from tech support. He sent screen shot and said "make your folder look like this." I've asked quite a few direct questions (much like my post here...I don't know what else to do) and didn't get direct answers.

When the initial problem began (weeks ago) and I couldn't seem to solve the issue myself I thought there must be a simple thing I was missing. A five or ten minute phone call should have done it. He stopped responding...hence my posting on the forum. I've been at this since monochrome screens and dos prompts and I've never been so frustrated....(venting I know)
Peter
pcarey3

Postby funkenstein52 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:07 pm

Thank you Peter! Me too. I can't remember this much aggravation to get contents to an external drive then get it to function. Online ST3 manual isn't even of any use! C'mon IKM, at least lest us know FIRST where the contents are to reside. Oh yeah...and the 2 seperate disk paths are confusing as well. Good to know I'm not the only one struggling with this process!
funkenstein52

Postby gppalmer60 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:36 pm

IK MM makes great sounding stuff. However, it is not good enough to go through the absolute hassle of getting it to work. I'm not buying any more of their products until, like, say Native Instruments, IK allows us to directly install to an external drive. Sample Tank 4 alone takes up SO MUCH space. I wish they'd get with this and make it easier to use their wonderful software. If NI can do it, so can IK.
gppalmer60

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:29 pm

Well, you're in luck.

The IK product Manager ("IKPM") can install Sounds Libraries directly onto any local drive.

-------
Having said that this is an old thread and seems to be complete, as the OP has not retruned. so it will be locked. If you wish, please start a new thread.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More