[now added!] IK Instruments & Aftertouch (or lack thereof)

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

[now added!] IK Instruments & Aftertouch (or lack thereof)

Postby saukar23 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:28 pm

I really don't get it. :roll: IK really has no love for a MIDI function. None of their virtual instruments have it, not even their synths. None of their hardware devices support it. And this has been, from my knowledge, since I came on board to the IK train with Sampletank 2.

I always thought things when change. But even when this is brought up in forums, anyone from IK is quick to ignore any statement towards such a thing. At this time, I really don't look at IK to change, I just don't get from what standpoint do you have for not including such a basic function. All it is is just a command. No different from any other CC command... in it's nature. And from a user standpoint, I'm pretty sure lots of people still use it. The implementation of it is standard on most good samplers, synths, etc. Which is why it's so shocking that even on their new keyboard hardware not even their keyboard controller has it, nor do any of the instruments.

Aftertouch, for me is one of those things that helps a sound to be expressive while I'm playing it. Sure, I could do the same thing velocity & other MIDI CC's, but again... in most cases this is part of the package.

So why no love for a MIDI function, guys?
saukar23

Re: IK Instruments & Aftertouch (or lack thereof)

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:08 pm

I know that they requests for aftertouch have been relayed to the developers. Beyond that, I don't have any information about reasoning behind past decisions or future plans but I'll surely share the latter if and when I have some information. Thanks!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Re: IK Instruments & Aftertouch (or lack thereof)

Postby saukar23 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:49 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to Peter & you guys at Ik for adding Aftertouch!! Love it when people listen to me!! Thanks!
saukar23

Re: [now added!] IK Instruments & Aftertouch (or lack thereo

Postby jmcoffin » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:18 am

I see aftertouch in Syntronik, but not in Sampletank 4. Is there a way to control vibrato with aftertouch in Sampletank 4? If not, will this be added soon? If not, why not?
jmcoffin

Postby Promidi » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:03 pm

As a test, I opened up Sampletank Max 4.13 (I know 4.14 is available, but some patches do not play correctly in 4.14) and loaded the patch called "SAW 8-Osc Unison J-8 (but any patch should do).

I right clicked on a parameter to bring up MIDI LEARN. While it was listening for me to move a controller knob on my keyboard, I issued an channel aftertouch (by pressing harder the keyboard)

This caused Sampletank 4 Max to indeed assign Aftertouch to that parameter. The parameter I chose was the LFO2 depth (while its the pitch knob was set to 1.00)

This had the net effect of vibrato being applied to the patch using Channel aftertouch.

So on my system, Channel aftertouch is available on Sampletank 4 Max (but all versions should work).
Promidi

Postby jmcoffin » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:37 pm

Promidi, You resolved my issue, thanks so much!! Hopefully IK will add this info to their manual.
jmcoffin

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More