Disk path???!!!

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Disk path???!!!

Postby rtTorstrick » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:27 am

This is ridiculous!!! I have my Sampletank 3 sounds in their own folder. I installed Miroslav 2 using a different folder for the sounds. Now Sample Tank 3 Loads ONLY Miroslav 2! If
I change it back to the correct disk path in Sampletank, it takes 10-15 minutes to re-index all the sounds I have installed. OK, so now I load Miroslav. No sounds. THE DISK PATH HAS NOW BEEN RESET TO THE SAMPLETANK FOLDER!!! These interfaces are NOT INDEPENDENT???

I've tried this a few times. Setting the sample path in one app resets it in the other!!! WHY???

I can't work this way.

Advise, please!
rtTorstrick

Re: Disk path???!!!

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:20 pm

By default, Miroslav Philharmonik 2 sounds will install within the SampleTank 3 directory. This still allows you to utilize Miroslav Philharmonik 2 on its own as well, per the FAQ at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/3677
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby rtTorstrick » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks for your quick response. To the programmers: This is ridiculous! Nowhere does the installation warn that the two apps are NOT INDEPENDENT and MUST be installed in the same directory(!!!!) when specifying the disk path. I guess to get it to work properly I'll need to move the Miroslav sounds into the Sampletank directory.

To say that this behavior is unexpected (and improper!) is an understatement. I've NEVER seen a virtual instrument interface that adjusts a parameter in a DIFFERENT VST, warning or no!!!
rtTorstrick

Postby DarkStar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Just for clarification: the SampleTank 3 software does not affect the Miroslav Philharmonik 2 software or vice versa. BUT they do share the same sounds library path, e.g.
L:\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 3 (in Windows, the path is stored in a single Registry key, accessible by both ST3 and MP2).

The big advantage is that ST3 can load its own instruments and the MP2 ones too, giving many more opportunities for layering sounds.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby rtTorstrick » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:37 am

DarkStar wrote:Just for clarification: the SampleTank 3 software does not affect the Miroslav Philharmonik 2 software or vice versa.

Sorry, not so. If I set the disk path in Miroslav, then close it and open Sample Tank, whatever I set as the disk path in Miroslav is now the disk path in Sampletank! The same happens if I do it in the other direction. If the two apps didn't affect each other, I would expect each one to remember their own unique sample path. That's NOT what happens.
rtTorstrick

Postby rebertone » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:17 am

OMG!!!! I am trapped in the same nightmare, only it is three fold for me: throw in Syntronik for a perfect trifecta of hell!LOL! Now I have to research how the libraries should have been compiled. ugh. [redacted, please review the forum rules and viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19505 ]
rebertone

Postby garfy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:51 am

Hello rebertone and welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that putting a ticket into IK official support will be your quickest way to go. https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/

They will be able to give you one-to-one guidance on how to rebuild the correct file structure.

I understand the frustration regarding the way the software works, but what I would like to understand though is why a user would want to install the libraries for the 3 apps in separate locations. Can you enlighten me please?
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby byron_dickens » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:21 pm

Why does it matter so much? I mean, really, why is this such a bone of contention?

It's not like you would go rooting around in the installation folders on a regular basis anyway. The Miroslav and Syntronik libraries are designed so that they can be used inside Sampletank as well, so it kinda makes sense to stick them in the same place.

Just set up the software the way it is designed and move on with your life. You'll be happier.
byron_dickens

Postby rtTorstrick » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:21 pm

byron_dickens wrote:Why does it matter so much? I mean, really, why is this such a bone of contention?

As an audio professional, I have carefully cultivated the habit of keeping audio files in separate folders, all clearly identifiable as to their origin. It's a simple DISCIPLINE that can prevent errors.

This was an ingrained practice going back to the early days of DOS, when there were strict limits on how many files could be stored in a folder and how many folders could exist in a directory, etc.

Fast forward:

byron_dickens wrote:Just set up the software the way it is designed and move on with your life. You'll be happier.

Really? The point that is hard for some of us to reconcile is that the installer presents a CHOICE. Where is it explained that a unique choice made for what appears to be a standalone product actually changes the default parameters for a DIFFERENT standalone product?

The 'design' itself defies my sense of tidiness (and engineering elegance) that I strive to maintain in my file management everywhere else.
rtTorstrick

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:08 pm

OK, before it gets any more uncivil this is already stated as a matter for IK Support to assist directly with and so this thread has run its course. No more arguing necessary.

Thank you. Please also review the rules linked at the top of each page and the new guidelines for posting here at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19505
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More