"Stuck" and non-responding notes [VST3 in Reaper]

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

"Stuck" and non-responding notes [VST3 in Reaper]

Postby TheWiredWorld » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:07 am

Can someone please help me with this? I'm looking money by the day.

Basically I start up Reaper, make a new MIDI track, and insert Miroslav 2 into it. Whenever I play notes from my MIDI keyboard, they respond with the loaded instrument, but they never turn off. And even if I get it to stop by either pressing the exclamation point or the play button twice, those notes that I had played previously will no longer respond for the entirety of the session. I have confirmed that it is Miroslav 2. All other VSTis work - and my keyboard/piano is brand new.

Using Windows 7 64 bit Pro. 32 gigs of RAM.

Can someone please help.

EDIT: It is quasi resolved now as I had to switch to the VST2.
Last edited by TheWiredWorld on Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheWiredWorld

Re: "Stuck" and non-responding notes

Postby DarkStar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:30 am

Can you add a MIDI Monitor (ReaControlMIDI's Log will do it) to the track, before MP2 and double-check that it is receiving the Note Offs.

Does it also happen with a MIDI clip that you have edited?

Do you have a Sustain or Hold pedal attached?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby TheWiredWorld » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:55 am

DarkStar wrote:Can you add a MIDI Monitor (ReaControlMIDI's Log will do it) to the track, before MP2 and double-check that it is receiving the Note Offs.

Thanks for responding Darkstar. I can't get to my computer at the moment but I will attach the MIDI log when I can. To answer your other questions, yes it does it during Playback (they just keep sustaining forever), in a MIDI edit window (even if I insert a note manually with my mouse it sustains forever), and actually any time a pitch is played - but only from Miroslav VST3.

Yes, I have a sustain pedal attached and it is working properly. With AddictiveKeys for instance everything works as intended.
TheWiredWorld

Postby TheWiredWorld » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:06 pm

DarkStar wrote:Can you add a MIDI Monitor (ReaControlMIDI's Log will do it) to the track, before MP2 and double-check that it is receiving the Note Offs.

I got around to doing what you asked and there's the log. Surprisingly Note Off events are happening. I even used the pedal and that seems to be working too. In the image you can see what I'm saying about how the notes (in Miroslav 2) just stay lit up forever.

edit: URL for bigger image.

http://i.imgur.com/Sui8JxF.png
TheWiredWorld

Postby DarkStar » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:55 pm

For info:

On the Reaper forum, user 'Pet' suggested that the problem was the VST3i edition of MP2, Using the VST2 edition was fine.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby chadcoch » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:06 pm

I am having this same exact issue.

Controller = Nektar LX88+
DAW = REAPER v5.32
VST3i Lib = MIroslav Philharmonik 2
Driver = ASIO4ALL 2.13

The note sustains indefinitely no matter what I do on the controller. The rest of the buttons run fine, starting, stopping, recording, etc... without issue.

I tried this setup in Miroslav itself, then tried running the library through sample tank 3 as well.
Same result. I also saw the 'note stops' in the log as well.

I see you said moving to VST2 fixed it.
When you say that, do you mean you are running the exact same MP2 library through VST2 instead of VST3i?
If that is the case, how do I move this to VST2?

Thank you for any input.
chadcoch

Postby DarkStar » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:35 pm

First off, it could be a Reaper problem with VST3i plug-ins, rather that the VST3i plug-ins themselves.

Start Reaper and load the VST2i edition of MP or ST3. You may need to hide the ST3i plug-ins in Reaper's FX Browser or uninstall them and do a 'Clear cache / Rescan) to get the VST2 plug-ins to show up. I do not know as I've never used both in Reaper.

Once you have them loaded you should see the instruments in the ST3 / MP Browser and load / use them as usual.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby chadcoch » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Darkstar,

Thanks for all your input, Once I figured out where the Miroslav had put the VST items rather than the VST3, I was golden.

Nektar LX88+ and Miroslav working in Harmony now.

Thank you!

:mrgreen:
chadcoch

Postby rhinocreative » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:14 pm

Having this same issue, with Miroslav 2 CE and SampleTank 3. Just making a post as a bookmark. Will try this solution when I get home.

Thanks dudes.
rhinocreative

Re: "Stuck" and non-responding notes [VST3 in Reaper]

Postby pixelznbits » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:13 pm

I had a hard time finding the files you guys were talking about. This may vary from installation to installation, but I ended up removing the folder \Program Files\Common files\VST3 in Reaper VST options, then adding \Program Files\VstPlugins\ After doing Clear cache/re-scan it works great. Thanks everyone.
pixelznbits

Postby DarkStar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:56 pm

OK, so what you have done is removed the scan path to all the VST3 plug-ins that you have and added a path to (all?) your VST(2) plug-ins. Will that be OK for you?

Just for info: When Reaper scans the paths for plug-ins, if it finds a plug-in with the same name as one previously found then it keep only the reference to the latter one. Do the VST3i and VSTi editions of ST3 have the same name?

Also, I found this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=172340
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby chadcoch » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:21 pm

I went ahead and un-installed MP completely, and then made the choices for VST2 during the new install and put it in a folder of my choosing.

I hope to test reaper with vst3 again soon, anohter version has dropped.
chadcoch

Postby pixelznbits » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:01 pm

DarkStar wrote:OK, so what you have done is removed the scan path to all the VST3 plug-ins that you have and added a path to (all?) your VST(2) plug-ins. Will that be OK for you?

Just for info: When Reaper scans the paths for plug-ins, if it finds a plug-in with the same name as one previously found then it keep only the reference to the latter one. Do the VST3i and VSTi editions of ST3 have the same name?

Also, I found this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=172340

This method should work unless Reaper needs access to VST3 folder for another plugin or if it automagically wants to add the folder for some reason.

They do have the same name opther than the respective file extensions of .dll and .vst3. Reaper wasnt scanning my vstplugins folder until I did this so I have not tried to see what happens if both versions try to load.
pixelznbits

Postby edavismail@yahoo.com » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:08 am

Thanks so much to all who contributed to this thread.

I was having the same problem with ST3 on the latest version of Reaper as of the date of this reply. I cut the .vst3 file from the VST Folder and pasted it on another drive in case I would need it in the future. The default project I had in Reaper had one track that used the vst3 version of ST3. Reaper indicated that the plug-in was no longer available. I deleted the track altogether and then added another with the .dll version of ST3. It worked well at that point. (You probably can retain the track and simply add the .dll version of ST3 to the FX window.)

In any case, the solution proposed in this thread still works.

Thanks again.
edavismail@yahoo.com

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More