Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE in REAPER

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE in REAPER

Postby SuperKons » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:21 am

Hello,
I have been messing around with MP 2 CE in Reaper, successfully adding a track for the VSTi, and letting REAPER create 16 audio tracks for all audio outputs. Also, from the FX dialogue, I have selected "Build 16 channels of MIDI routing to this track". Everything has gone well, I have created MIDI data, which plays back on the correct channels. Now, I want to transform the MIDI data into audio. Loading up the VSTi has created all the necessary audio tracks, as I mentioned, and the correct routings, however, when trying to record the MIDI tracks into the audio ones, the microphone of my laptop takes over. I am clearly missing something, which I cannot figure out. I have watched several videos on YouTube, some of them about MP 1, that has got the ability to actually select which audio output the different MIDI channels can be routed to, something that has been removed from MP2. I would appreciate very much, if anybody could inform me of what the missing bits are, thank you
SuperKons

Re: Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE in REAPER

Postby DarkStar » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:06 pm

In Reaper, you've got the individual tracks for the audio output from MP2 and 16 tracks for the MIDI to be routed into MP2. As you used the functions built-into Reaper their channels will be set up automatically.

Now, have a look at the instruments loaded into MP2. Each one should be receiving MIDI on a different channel (01 ..16, Ch column, on the Play Page) AND routed to a separate output pair (1+2 ... 31+32, on the MIX page (that's the bit you thought was missing)).

When you click Play in Reaper you should see the meters on the tracks in Reaper show the levels.

Next, to record that audio, you need to RecArm those tracks in Reaper (not the 'MIDI' tracks) AND set their recording Mode to "Record Output: stereo)". Right-click the RecArm button on the Reaper track for the menu choices.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby SuperKons » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:51 am

DarkStar, thank you very much, for your comprehensive explanation, it has been really useful! The user manual does not make any mention of the outputs, in the MIX page, and that is the reason as to why I missed them.
Now, I can see the levels in the audio tracks, however, when I am using an audio track which is not 1+2, I can see the meters in said track, as well. Why is that?? Thanks in advance, again
SuperKons

Postby DarkStar » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:05 pm

Hmm, that's a odd omission from the MP2 User Manual - I've just looked and it is not in the ST3 User Manual either.

I'm not sure what you are asking about the meters. Got a screenshot?
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby SuperKons » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:41 am

Darkstar, here is the screenshot, you asked for. I have soloed one of the MIDI tracks (no. 2), which goes into Out 3-4. As you can see, Out 1-2 is showing audio activity

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5w33co0zfc3192/Meters.png?dl=0
SuperKons

Postby DarkStar » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:02 pm

I would guess that some audio is routed to that "Out 1+2" track too. What sound is it? Mute the "Out 3+4" track in Reaper so you can hear it.

Perhaps a Send within MP2 CE? (MP1 had a Send for every instrument with a Reverb on it (routed to 1+2, by default). I do not know about MP2. But have a look on the Mix page at the Sends on those channels and on the Send Return channel itself (drag the hard-to-see scroll bar below the Mixer channels all the way to the right).
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby SuperKons » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:32 pm

I did not mention that I removed every preset FX, from every track, and from Return 1, as well. However, I had a look at what you suggested may be the cause of that extra audio signal, on Out 1+2: I soloed every single track, and played it back, and, every time, there was no audio activity, in Out 1+2. I suppose the issue is sorted, in some way :)

Thank you, Darkstar
SuperKons

Postby SuperKons » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:43 am

Just a while ago, tonight, I realised why I was getting audio signal on Out 1+2, in Reaper, even if I was not using it. The reason is simple, really, and it has to do with the fact that Return 1 was enabled. Clearly, muting Return 1 does not send any signal to Reaper, and, therefore, no audio activity will show in the corresponding audio track.

Cheers!
SuperKons

Postby DarkStar » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:54 pm

Indeed (that's what I meant when I referred to 'Send channel' in my post above).

Looking at MP2 pics here ( http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/philharmonik2/index.php?pp=philharmonik2-software ) it looks like each loaded instrument has a Send 1 at -6.0dB; that will go to the 'Return 1' channel (which has a ConvoReverb inserted) and thence to outputs 1+2.

So you can route your instruments channels to 3+4 upwards or change the Return outputs to, say, 25+26 upwards. Either way, you'll get the combined, reverbed sound available in your DAW host.

Note that the other three Return channels have different reverbs on them too.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby SuperKons » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:42 pm

That is totally correct, it took a while, for me to figure it out, but, eventually, I did!
Cheers, Darkstar, and Happy New Year!
SuperKons

Postby Massimo Giuntoli » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi everybody, and thank you for your attention.
I'm also trying to use Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE in REAPER.

Just a couple of questions:

1) do I need to use SampleTank in this case...? (I guess I don't, but I'm not sure...)

2) do I need to install "Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE Sound Content" or the three sound folders (Part 1,2,3) and the Sound Updater folder are directly accessible...?

Thank you in advance!
Massimo
Massimo Giuntoli

Postby DarkStar » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:27 pm

Hello Massimo Giuntoli and welcome to the forum.

A1: No, you can use MP2 CE plug-in; but if you use SampleTank, you can combine the ST3 and MP2 sounds

A2: Yes, you do need to install them all, but the installer just unpacks them into the correct place. They will be in sub-folders in the SampleTank 3 Instruments and Samples folders. They are installed there so that SampleTank can access them (see A1 above).
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby SuperKons » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Hello Massimo,

Massimo Giuntoli wrote:1) do I need to use SampleTank in this case...? (I guess I don't, but I'm not sure...)

That does not really matter, honestly, MP2 is a streamlined version of ST

Massimo Giuntoli wrote:2) do I need to install "Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE Sound Content" or the three sound folders (Part 1,2,3) and the Sound Updater folder are directly accessible...?

The Sound Content is comprised of Part 1, 2 and 3. Do install the Sound Updater package, as well

Let us know whether you have succeeded!

/ Marco
SuperKons

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More