Philharmonik dynamic switching?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Philharmonik dynamic switching?

Postby danwilson5 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:21 pm

Hi All,

Working my way through Miroslav's Philharmonik 2 right now and struggling with the dynamics of the solo violin. The solo violin multi uses key switching to change between articulations, that I understand.

If you look at the "instrument" key-switch keys, C0 is the sustain articulation. Now looking at the edit page, and inspect the "element/articulation" drop down menu you see the following VLN SOLO SUS 4,0 mf, VLN SOLO SUS 4,0 mp, and VLN SOLO SUS 4,0 pp in the list.

I assume (dangerous I know) that these three sustain dynamics are all linked to the C0 key. My question is how does "it" know when to switch between pp, mp and mf dynamics? I have been unable to find it described in the manual.

In Logic's EXS24 sampler you can define that midi velocity 0-50 plays the pp sample, 51-99 the mp sample, and 100-127 the mf sample. I use the comparison to Logic's sampler to illustrate why I ask the question.

Thanks

Dan
danwilson5

Re: Philharmonik dynamic switching?

Postby DarkStar » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:23 pm

Are you sure that all 3 are mapped to C0? What does the pop-up keyboard show for the articulations?

If it is like the other key-switched instruments:
C0 would select VLN SOLO SUS 4,0 mf
C#0 would select VLN SOLO SUS 4,0 mp
D0 would select VLN SOLO SUS 4,0 pp
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby danwilson5 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:40 pm

Hello DarkStar,

Thank you for your post and sorry about the delay I am on summer holidays at the moment.

The key switches are correct in that they switch to different articulations. My question was more about - does the articulation CO "sustain" change from pp to mp to mf within that articulation based on midi velocity. Upon further thought about this I have come to the conclusion that it does not. Which is too bad. Logic's EXS24 sampler can do this. Not only can you switch articulations (articulation ID apple talk) but within an articulation you can have a number of different "zones" representing for example p, mp, mf, f and so on if your sample library have the different dynamics.

The work around is to use different midi number and instruments to do this. For example violins

Violin sustain midi channel 1 use different key-switches to change dynamics for that articulation. Violin Staccato midi channel 2 with different key-switches for say staccato p, mp, mf etc.

Finally within the midi track switch midi channels for each articulation desired at that moment within the song.

Again thank you DarkStar for your response.

Dan
danwilson5

Postby DarkStar » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:25 pm

does the articulation CO "sustain" change from pp to mp to mf within that articulation based on midi velocity.
Nope.

The 3 articulations are selected by the three different keys. The samples in each instrument may or may not have velocity zones (as in EXS24, Kontakt, and many other samplers) - only IK Multimedia know, and I have not seen any info about that.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby emasters » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:32 am

Working with Philharmonic 2 today, and struggling a bit. The sounds are nice with a good variety of articulations. But perhaps I'm missing something with dynamic layering? I'm used to Kontakt where developers cross-fade dynamic layers (e.g., pp through ff) using the mod wheel, which makes it very easy to control dynamics. Less ideal IMHO, is mapping to velocity - it works, but does not offer as much control (E.g., tough to do a brass Sfz using velocity, but can do it with the mod wheel). How does one control dynamics with Philharmonic 2? Loading up individual dynamic levels per midi channel, doesn't seem like a playable solution. Hopefully, there's a better way that I'm missing...
emasters

Postby Gustav2237 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:17 am

emasters wrote:I'm used to Kontakt where developers cross-fade dynamic layers (e.g., pp through ff) using the mod wheel, which makes it very easy to control dynamics.

This is exactly what I have been struggling with, too.
I would have preferred a smaller library, but instead a useful dynamic change option. For example, to have a sample swell from pp to f (without breaking off after 3sec because the sample finishes).
Well, this library didn't cost 1200€ for a reason after all. :|
Gustav2237

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More