Weird ST3-ST4 symbiosis

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Weird ST3-ST4 symbiosis

Postby pcarey3 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:36 pm

Greetings....
...more learning...
I have two issues (not emergencies) that are interrelated:

ST3:
In ST3 under Imported Instruments, I can see separately and use the older imports I like from ST2.5 (for instance Sonic Synth 2, Sample Moog).
-Is the best way to manage this by running ST3 and ST4 as separate instruments (I'm in Cubase10)?

ST4:
When I open ST4 the columns are full…even though I have selected nothing. NOT expected…..
When I click on the ST4 icon the items in the columns changes…Expected

-Is this normal? Is there an install or settings problem?

When I click on the silver ST3 Icon the columns are empty? …NOT expected. If the data for ST3 was subsumed into ST4...why is the silver ST3 Icon there?

Again at the bottom, When I click the silver ST3 (imported) Icon, the column info changes but I don’t see how to know what any of the “imports” are.

Again…-Is this normal? Is there an install or settings problem?

….Which leads me back to…..Is the best way to access old stuff by running a separate instantiation of ST3 when trying to access the old stuff?

Thanks for the help,
Peter
pcarey3

Re: Weird ST3-ST4 symbiosis

Postby garfy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:23 pm

Hello pcarey3

pcarey3 wrote:ST3:
In ST3 under Imported Instruments, I can see separately and use the older imports I like from ST2.5 (for instance Sonic Synth 2, Sample Moog).
-Is the best way to manage this by running ST3 and ST4 as separate instruments (I'm in Cubase10)?

You can still use them separately, but it's not necessary.

To use all your ST3 instruments in ST4, including legacy 2.5 products imported into ST3, make sure you have added your ST3 folder to ST4.

In ST4, go to Settings>Sound Content tab, click add and navigate to the SampleTank 3 folder. Once this is done (so you should now have a separate entry for ST3 and ST4) click rescan.

Once this is done all of your sounds will be available in ST4, but still be accessible in ST3 should you wish.

pcarey3 wrote:When I open ST4 the columns are full…even though I have selected nothing. NOT expected…..
When I click on the ST4 icon the items in the columns changes…Expected

-Is this normal? Is there an install or settings problem?

This is normal. At the top level in ST4 it is showing you every preset available from all authorised libraries. When you select an icon on the left it then shows you just the presets for that library - in your case, click ST4 and it gives you just ST4 presets.

pcarey3 wrote:At the bottom of the Library column, when I click the red ST4 (imported) Icon, the columns empty again….NO idea what to expect…

This is expected, as you have nothing Imported into ST4. I'm guessing this is just a software placeholder for a feature as yet to be included.

pcarey3 wrote:When I click on the silver ST3 Icon the columns are empty? …NOT expected. If the data for ST3 was subsumed into ST4...why is the silver ST3 Icon there?

pcarey3 wrote:Again at the bottom, When I click the silver ST3 (imported) Icon, the column info changes but I don’t see how to know what any of the “imports” are.

Again, this is normal for your set up currently. Once you have added your ST3 libraries in the Sound Content tab, your Sonic Synth, SampleMoog presets can be accessed here.

Hope that answers your questions. Let us know how you get on with adding the ST3 folder to ST4.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More