Installing to ST3 vs ST4 folders

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Installing to ST3 vs ST4 folders

Postby FuzzTony » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:38 pm

Like many others I'm a new user of IK software, having bought into the current huge sale.

I've been using the product manager to install the software & sounds to my external SSD.

I understand that some sound libraries need to be installed to the Sampletank 3 folders and others i should install to Sampletank 4 folder. (i.e. all the syntronik deluxe libraries I installed to ST3 folder and this worked)

However I've also got a bunch more sample libraries (Clavitube, Shipwreck Piano, etc, etc) to install and I don't know which I should be installing to ST3 vs ST4 folder.

Is there a list of all the current libraries and which folder they belong in? I'd rather get it right the first time.

Thanks!
FuzzTony

Re: Installing to ST3 vs ST4 folders

Postby DarkStar » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:38 am

Yes, any add-on libraries based on the ST3 engine (including Syntronik and Miroslav Philharmonik 2) should be installed into the ST3 sounds library.

Add-on libraries based on the ST4 engine should be installed into the ST4 sounds library.

I do not know of a definitive official list but the more recent libraries will be ST4-based. For that please contact Technical Support. And also ask them about the best way to proceed.

If you use the IK Product Manager,you need ,as you know, to set the "Install to ..." path first before downloading/installing. So you need the info first.

------------------------
If you are OK to do it "the hard way" and understand what you are doing, this is what I would do. Download each file from your User Area, extract its contents and look in the "Instruments" folder. The files there will have an .st4i or .st3i file extension. That will tell you which library they should go in. Then run the installer and make sure you select the correct destination folder (that should be something like D:/iK Multimedia/SampleTank 3".
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Paul_R » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:03 pm

I am having similar difficulties as any ST3 content packages fail on my MAC - I do not even get to the directory selection screen in the install before it fails. I've never owned ST3 - can I still deploy ST3 content licences in ST4? (hopefully, otherwise I just wasted a bunch of Group Buy selections). I tried installing ST3 first thinking that may resolve the issue but ST3 is no longer compatible with lastest MAC OS.
Paul_R

Postby Paul_R » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:46 pm

Read thru DarkStar's Tip which does shed some light, however it looks like ST3 cannot be installed in the latest version of MACOS (Big Sur 11.6), and, if an ST3 install is the path to getting ST3 instruments into ST4, then users running the latest MACOS can't install their purchased ST3 software? I don't even see info on each of the syntronic instruments indicating ST3 or 4 - how do I stay away from the ST3 versions in my Group Buy selections? Maybe it's there somewhere and I'm not seeing it. This is kind of bumming me out as it would be quite obviously an anticipated issue, and the ST3 versions are mixed in there without an obvious red flag to customers who are new to ST4 and selecting them not realizing the install won't work.
Paul_R

Postby FuzzTony » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:22 am

DarkStar wrote:...
I do not know of a definitive official list but the more recent libraries will be ST4-based. For that please contact Technical Support. And also ask them about the best way to proceed.

If you use the IK Product Manager,you need ,as you know, to set the "Install to ..." path first before downloading/installing. So you need the info first.

------------------------
If you are OK to do it "the hard way" and understand what you are doing, this is what I would do. Download each file from your User Area, extract its contents and look in the "Instruments" folder. The files there will have an .st4i or .st3i file extension. That will tell you which library they should go in. Then run the installer and make sure you select the correct destination folder (that should be something like D:/iK Multimedia/SampleTank 3".

Thank you for the suggestion... this does seem quite tedious and perhaps others might benefit from a list of all the libraries and what folder they belong in... surely I'm not the only one. :roll: I appreciate your reply.
FuzzTony

Postby DarkStar » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:14 am

Indeed. But Technical Support is the best place to get that info.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby psilsbee1 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:53 pm

[UPDATED after installing all 17 chunks]

Was in a similar bind. I tried following DarkStar's procedure. I manually installed all of the Miroslav packages (PITA but manageable).
- The installer crashes pretty much immediately on a 2020 M1 MacBook.
- I manually copied the files into [External drive]/IK Multimedia/SampleTank3, into their respective folders (e.g. Instruments/50__Miroslav Philharmonik 2 into .../SampleTank3/Instruments).

I opened up the Philharmonik standalone app. Clearly it found the newly installed instruments because it spent some time building its database, and I can select the instruments in the interface. Oddly, each instrument is listed twice. If I try to load the first copy, that fails. If I try to load the second copy, it succeeds. At least that is the pattern so far.

Any idea how I can remove the non-working entries?

(e.g. under "Woodwinds -> Flute" there are two instances of "Flute Multi." Load succeeds if and only if I double-click the second one)
psilsbee1

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More