Hammond B-3x - intensive CPU

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Hammond B-3x - intensive CPU

Postby Grolux121 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:35 am

Hello there,

I found that Hammond B-3x is intensive on CPU.
Is there a trick to fix that problem ?

Salut !
I9-10900 - 2.8 Ghz (core speed 4596 KHz) - 10 cores - 32Gb RAM - SSD Nvme - Cubase 12 - VST Steinberg-NI-AAS-IK - Komplete Kontrol S2
Grolux121

Re: Hammond B-3x - intensive CPU

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:02 pm

Since other users haven't chimed in and I personally don't see a huge CPU spike using Hammond B-3X, I'd suggest reporting this to IK Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support to see if they have any thoughts/suggestions in your case.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby ikmultimedia_chris » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:59 am

I agree Hammond B3X seems CPU intensive. It shows above 10% usage on the Reaper DAW performance meter. Other tracks read between 0% and 5%.

It also makes playback impossible, the whole project becomes distorted.

I'm trying to contact IK support for help. Does anyone have suggestions?
ikmultimedia_chris

Postby ikmultimedia_chris » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:09 pm

I got it sorted out. During recent Windows update the performance profile of my operating system was inadvertently changed from "high performance" to "energy saving." I changed back to "high performance" and B-3X works great. It now shows 3-4% CPU usage in the performance meter. And it operates correctly with no dropouts or distortion.
ikmultimedia_chris

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:40 pm

ikmultimedia_chris wrote:I got it sorted out. During recent Windows update the performance profile of my operating system was inadvertently changed from "high performance" to "energy saving." I changed back to "high performance" and B-3X works great. It now shows 3-4% CPU usage in the performance meter. And it operates correctly with no dropouts or distortion.

Oh yes, great reminder to check these setting after an update! I like to use the Sweetwater optimization guide when setting up a computer for audio but I really don't think to re-check those settings after a windows update.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Grolux121 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:51 pm

Here is metrics about B-3X CPU intensive on my computer.
Naturally, the performance profile of my operating system is settled at "high performance"

I9-10900 - 2.8 Ghz (core speed 4596 KHz) - 10 cores - 32Gb RAM - SSD Nvme - Cubase 12 - VST Steinberg-NI-AAS-IK - Komplete Kontrol S2
Grolux121

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:40 pm

Grolux121 wrote:Here is metrics about B-3X CPU intensive on my computer.
Naturally, the performance profile of my operating system is settled at "high performance"

The image isn't showing but if you are having an issue that isn't resolved in the same way OP resolved their issue you should report that to IK Support for direct and official technical support. Thank you.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Grolux121 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:05 pm

Oups. Sorry !
Right clic - Select « Copy image address » - Paste on new URL tab and the image is shown.

Thank's for the advice Peter.
Grolux121

Postby Grolux121 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:32 am

Has suggested, I contacted IK support :

Me ------------
Well, my CPU is a Intel I9 10900 - 2.8 GHz (core speed 4596 KHz) - 10 cores - 10 Threads - 32 GBytes DDR4 (so... a powerful computer).
Buffer size : 512 (this is the best for me).
I know that Hammond B-3X is a modeling synth (not samples). I have a lot of modeling synths and pianos.
It's not explaining the 22-25 % utilization of the CPU at 4.59 GHz not playing any note of the Hammond B-3X in standalone or in Cubase (only that VST)

IK support ------------
This is Hammond on my older i5 with the stand alone on the default sound loaded. Compare it to yours (45 %).
You can turn off some FX, Leslie as needed in here to help the CPU as needed.

Well ---
What is your CPU % with Hammond B-3X in standalone ?
Grolux121

Postby reuelt » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:56 pm

Grolux121 wrote:What is your CPU % with Hammond B-3X in standalone ?

I am getting about 11% CPU and 3.5% GPU with Hammond B-3X in standalone even when not playing any notes.

RELATIVELY HIGH CPU used by B3-X.
Do you have a Dedicated Graphics card since probably the 3.5% GPU utilisation may add another 10% CPU if there is no dedicated Graphics Card.

Have you tried taking out one stick of RAM? 32GB is slower than 24GB or 16GB because 32 GB RAM would also occupy the memory location required for Graphics and BIOS and CPU must keep switching between physical RAM and BIOS + Graphics.

Reuel

(Intel I7 3.6GHz CPU, Nvidia Quadro K2200 Graphics Card 24GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Creative Audigy RX soundcard)
reuelt

Postby zzz00m » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:52 pm

I am also seeing a fairly high CPU usage for B-3X when just idling in standalone, around 24-26%.

It seems fairly constant at the level, regardless of any notes playing or not, or with the GUI either maximized, or minimized to the task bar. Using ASIO audio on my Focusrite interface here, but also tried with Windows Audio. Same CPU percentage.

Using Studio One 5 Pro and a blank project, CPU idles at 3-4%. As soon as I insert B-3X, the CPU jumps up to 27-28%.

Weird! Never noticed this before, and since the B-3X plays fine here, have never needed to look into this or report a trouble. So I'm just confirming what others have seen.

My system specs are Windows 10 Pro 20H2, Intel i5-9600K, 6 cores, 16GB memory, internal SSD's for system and data drives. NVIDIA graphics, and Focusrite Scarlett 3rd gen.
zzz00m

Postby zzz00m » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:07 pm

Just made another observation about the CPU use.

It gets better when using the B-3X plugin in a DAW, if you close the B-3X plugin UI. You can still play the instrument, but just cannot see it. In standalone mode, I saw no CPU usage difference when hiding the UI.

I've got Studio One idling with a B-3X instrument track, and plugin window closed, and my CPU is now back to idling at normal levels around 6-7%. Just the DAW and idle plugin with plugin UI closed.

So there seems to be a graphics rendering hit on the CPU with the full B-3X UI open. :shock:
zzz00m

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:40 pm

These experiences would need to be sent to IK Support if you feel there are issues with the plugin/application. They will troubleshoot with you to see if there is something that can be tweaked in your setup and/or if there are fixes required of the development team.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby zzz00m » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:52 pm

Peter_IK wrote:These experiences would need to be sent to IK Support if you feel there are issues with the plugin/application. They will troubleshoot with you to see if there is something that can be tweaked in your setup and/or if there are fixes required of the development team.

Thanks Peter. This is not really an issue for me, as the plugin is fully usable here. I was just sharing my observations and personal experience on the topic user-to-user, in case it could help someone else... like I mentioned earlier, I was not even aware of this until I saw this thread and decided to look into it.

But I do agree with you, someone should open a support ticket if it is a problem for them. :)
zzz00m

Postby Grolux121 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:48 pm

Well, as you suggested Peter, I contacted IK's support but the answer was : « You can turn off some FX, Leslie as needed in here to help the CPU as needed ». Mmmmm...

Thank's to zzz00m, I closed the UI (in a Cubase project) and the usage of CPU passed from 23 % to 11 %. Whaaa ! :o

I like B-3X for the sound but for the UI too.
Compare to GSI VB3-II, the B-3X UI is more adequate for me.

This is an opportunity for improvement for IK Multimedia.
Thank's a lot for all yours comments guys.
Grolux121

Next

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More