IK's 25th Anniversary Group Buy! Up to 25 for the price of 1

Breaking news, announcements, promotions and general important information from IK Multimedia

Re: IK's 25th Anniversary Group Buy! Up to 25 for the price

Postby marclaclear » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:27 pm

topaz1 wrote:It's confusing why the promotions still show items already owned.

I have T-Racks SE and 5 but still being offered products from those products.
Yes it is. For this reason I keep the custom shop open to make sure I don't pick something I have.
marclaclear

Postby ttinker » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:23 pm

marclaclear wrote:

Yes it is. For this reason I keep the custom shop open to make sure I don't pick something I have.

Even the Custom Shop is not infallible. I have old purchases from T-Racks 3 (Opto compressor, 670, EQP-1A) which show up in my products list on the website (and are installed, activated and working on my system) - but the Custom Shop doesn't know I own them and offers them to me to try or buy.

It's a little bit left to us users to keep track of what we have and make sure we're not doubling up licenses. Not a huge price to pay for the value on offer here, and I guess it's a pretty huge and complex database so we can't expect everything to be perfect all the time. IK still do it pretty well, compared to some companies.
ttinker

Postby pat.osterday » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:44 pm

Pretty sure this is because you can always purchase additional licenses to the products you own.
pat.osterday

Postby notaneasygame » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:44 pm

I like to think of it as 'part of the game', keeping an excel sheet to work out what to get, what to prioritise and what to keep as last picks.

Looks like I'm on for a full house based on the increased pick up rate
notaneasygame

Postby ttinker » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:51 pm

notaneasygame wrote:I like to think of it as 'part of the game', keeping an excel sheet to work out what to get, what to prioritise and what to keep as last picks...

Exactly. I have had a running list of what I've already grabbed and what I still want throughout this whole thing. I won't quite make a 'full house' (after double-dipping at two price points) but pretty durn close to it, and I can live without the stragglers until the next time around.
ttinker

Postby DarkStar » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:24 pm

Edging ever closer:

But the fat lady ain't singin' yet ;)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby jem7sk » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:25 pm

DarkStar wrote:But the fat lady ain't singin' yet ;)

The fat lady is starting to loose her breath. :o
jem7sk

Postby marclaclear » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:56 pm

jem7sk wrote:
DarkStar wrote:But the fat lady ain't singin' yet ;)

The fat lady is starting to loose her breath. :o
Time to start choosing my next freebies. Question, if I have mixbox are the t-racks versions of the effects different in audio?
marclaclear

Postby Musical.Alchemy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:28 pm

marclaclear wrote: if I have mixbox are the t-racks versions of the effects different in audio?

I was thinking the same thing, is it really necessary to go full T-Racks if you have Mixbox ?
For what it's worth, I heard on a UTube video that the fx on Mixbox are the 'updated' versions
of the fx as compared to TRacks. Though unless I hear it from IK themselves I usually file it under speculation.

Also as I'd like all my plugins to eventually be Native Mac M1, I'd guess that Mixbox has a better chance of being updated to native M1 before the older TRacks fx might be. Though again I don't know that for sure ?

Anyway, onward to 20K !
Musical.Alchemy

Postby juergen_b » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:22 pm

Musical.Alchemy wrote:
marclaclear wrote: if I have mixbox are the t-racks versions of the effects different in audio?

I was thinking the same thing, is it really necessary to go full T-Racks if you have Mixbox ?
[...]

There are differences between T-RackS and MixBox. I don't have experience with the audio quality yet. For some modules, the MixBox modules have less controls than their T-RackS counterparts. On the other hand, (most) MixBox compressors provide external side chaining while T-RackS compressors don't.
juergen_b

Postby ttinker » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:25 pm

Musical.Alchemy wrote:

For what it's worth, I heard on a UTube video that the fx on Mixbox are the 'updated' versions
of the fx as compared to TRacks. Though unless I hear it from IK themselves I usually file it under speculation...

I haven't heard any such thing from IK and I strongly suspect the basic algorithms of the shared FX are the same. The interfaces and functionality differ somewhat (No M/S on Mixbox, no sidechaining on T-Racks, and some individual modules are slightly function-limited on Mixbox due to simple UI space constraints) but my impression is that on an audio level they are basically the same processors. Maybe there are differences in the oversampling, or the higher-sample-rate performance, but MixBox is certainly not a 'toy version' or anything, it's a serious and very capable platform on its own.

Myself, I have ended up replicating some of the MB units that I didn't previously have in TR but that's partly because I'm a bit of a completist by nature, and partly because I have started to run out of other things to get as the bonus rounds have progressed. I'm happy to have a somewhat bigger interface for some of them (EQs, particularly) if I'm trying to dial in something that needs attention to detail.

That said, I imagine Mixbox will get more use on a day-to-day mixing and sound design level just because it's such a big suite and it's so quick and convenient to drop things in and move them around, and plus there are a lot more presets to play with and mine for ideas... but TR is an old friend and I will likely use it when I need more precise control, metering etc.
ttinker

Postby Kinketsu » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:16 pm

I notice that in my Promotions area, where the freebies are collected, the End Date still says 2021-09-30. Regarding 'you can claim your free products ... for a period of 30 days after the closing date of the promotion', I presume the ability to collect the freebies will extend out.

i.e. When we crossed the 10000 threshold, that really should have updated to end of October, if I understand the terms correctly. And as we cross the 20000 threshold, it should move out to end of November. Is that right?

If I'm misunderstanding anything about this, I'd appreciate clarification.
Kinketsu

Postby ttinker » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:23 pm

Kinketsu wrote:I notice that in my Promotions area, where the freebies are collected, the End Date still says 2021-09-30. Regarding 'you can claim your free products ... for a period of 30 days after the closing date of the promotion', I presume the ability to collect the freebies will extend out.

i.e. When we crossed the 10000 threshold, that really should have updated to end of October, if I understand the terms correctly. And as we cross the 20000 threshold, it should move out to end of November. Is that right?

I think it's just an oversight. IK are on the level with these things and I've never seen any signs of 'the large print giveth and the small print taketh away'-style bait-and-switch tactics. In my experience of them through many years they are a thoroughly trustworthy and solid company and there's no reason to worry.
ttinker

Postby Kinketsu » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:52 pm

ttinker wrote:
Kinketsu wrote:I notice that in my Promotions area, where the freebies are collected, the End Date still says 2021-09-30. Regarding 'you can claim your free products ... for a period of 30 days after the closing date of the promotion', I presume the ability to collect the freebies will extend out.

I think it's just an oversight. IK are on the level with these things and I've never seen any signs of 'the large print giveth and the small print taketh away'-style bait-and-switch tactics. In my experience of them through many years they are a thoroughly trustworthy and solid company and there's no reason to worry.

I agree completely, I've had only very positive experiences with IK, and I agree this is most likely just an operational oversight. I was just trying to make sure I was correctly reading the 'large print', but in retrospect I probably didn't need to ask, since it's definitive enough. Thanks for your response.
Kinketsu

Postby marclaclear » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:56 pm

We should be able to select freebies up to 30 days after the 9-30 end date is how I read this.
marclaclear

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements