iRig Acoustic - acoustic guitar microphone/interface

Breaking news, announcements, promotions and general important information from IK Multimedia

Re: iRig Acoustic - acoustic guitar microphone/interface

Postby jonathanmcc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:47 pm

Another yes to a Windows version please.

My studio is based on FL Studio running on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

This looks like an ideal way to record acoustic tracks into FL Studio - you are ruling out a lot of purchases from FL Studio users.
jonathanmcc

Postby home388 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:07 am

Hi

I am about to buy the iRig Acoustic.
Does it clip on any part of the soundhole or just hang at the bottom part of the sound hole?
Can it be clipped on any other part of the soundhole?
home388

Postby jaw444 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:29 pm

I just got one of these yesterday morning and spent the day playing with it. My guitar has a characteristic that prevents the mic from fastening snugly to the sound hole, so the mic does not stay in place. The resulting experiences i will share with you because due to the way the mic slips around on the sound hole on my guitar in response to gravity, i have unintentionally used it in different positions on the sound hole.

it can be positioned anywhere on the sound hole, but for me, when it is under the strings, as has happened, the audio output is impaired, it still works but too limited. I don't notice a difference when it is anywhere on the bottom side of the sound hole other than under the strings. It sounds the same.

Right now i have it connected to a speaker, and i get feedback, which i don't get with headphones. I just tried putting it on the upper side of the sound hole and got the worst feedback i've had, a loud shriek, whereas previously it was just an annoying presence of high pitched but soft intermittent feedback that i could ignore to some extent.

This guitar i'm talking about has a very thin top compared to most guitars (which gives it some sound and playability awesomeness that make it my favorite guitar ever, acoustic or electric, it's the holy grail, but this as well as some modification/thinning of the braces by a previous owner also makes it fragile and it has some very serious problems but worth it, as long as it lasts, it's a 1931 guitar), and it does not have a pick guard on it so, it's just a lot thinner than most guitars and that is why the iRig mic does not attach snugly to it, to put it mildly.

The iRig mic fits normally and very well to other guitars i've tried it on, as it's supposed to. If it was made to fit snugly to my holy grail, it would not fit on other guitars because it would be too tight for them, it probably could not be attached.

So i just researched your question using another guitar. The mic fastens normally wherever on the sound hole i put it. I tried putting it on the upper (opposite) side of the sound hole and the only issue is avoiding letting the cable hang over the front of the guitar as it tends to want to do because it will deaden the strings. i put the cable behind the guitar and it was held in place by my body, and it worked fine on the upper side of the sound hole.
jaw444

Postby home388 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:11 am

Hi,
Thanks for posting your findings.
Did you try attaching the iRig Acoustic under the strings on the other guitar?
I am waiting for my iRig Acoustic to arrive and can't wait to try it on my Takamine which also does not have a pickguard.
I am wondering if there is a difference in tone when attaching it to the bottom side of the soundhole compared to attaching it on the top side of the soundhole; or any other kocation for that matter.
I will try it out when i receive my iRig Acoustic.

Thanks again.
home388

Postby robamillard » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:37 am

Yes, I'm another who'd like a pc/windows version of this. I don't understand: what kind of input output does a mac have that a usb audio interface would not have?

But I do understand where the money is being made right now. Still, I think there is good money to be made from pc users, it is not a niche market.
robamillard

Postby chanlee51186 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:44 am

Hi,

I bought this recently and tried jamming with it with my band. We are a 5 piece band with 2 electric guitars, one acoustic, a bass and drums. I play the acoustic and sing. Now, since it is a microphone, I noticed that all the sounds from other instruments also gets picked up and comes through the mixer. This results in feedback which the feedback kill feature kills effectively. However in a live act, I do not want the other amp/monitor sounds and my vocals from the stage to be picked by the microphone on iRig Acoustic. Is there a way?

Will an iRig 2 work effectively with an acoustic?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
chanlee51186

Postby alherr001 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:25 pm

I think your add says can be used at an open mic. Open mic mixer only has 1/4inch and XLR inputs. Do you have an adapter.
alherr001

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:27 am

chanlee51186 wrote:Hi,

I bought this recently and tried jamming with it with my band. We are a 5 piece band with 2 electric guitars, one acoustic, a bass and drums. I play the acoustic and sing. Now, since it is a microphone, I noticed that all the sounds from other instruments also gets picked up and comes through the mixer. This results in feedback which the feedback kill feature kills effectively. However in a live act, I do not want the other amp/monitor sounds and my vocals from the stage to be picked by the microphone on iRig Acoustic. Is there a way?

Will an iRig 2 work effectively with an acoustic?

Thanks in advance
Cheers

You may want to see if there are further adjustments to be made to improve how much other sound is picked up. Support may also have some advice on that front.

iRig 2 would work with an electro-acoustic but note that the sound from the typical electro-acoustic system is piezo-based and may not likely sound as full and rich as iRig Acoustic for that reason.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:28 am

alherr001 wrote:I think your add says can be used at an open mic. Open mic mixer only has 1/4inch and XLR inputs. Do you have an adapter.

You would send the headphone output to your mixer, so you would want to go from 1/8" to either dual 1/4" or dual XLR. This is not an adapter we sell.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby gemmaconnington » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:09 pm

What cable to I need to connect the irig acoustic to my mixer? I tried a 1/8 cable with a 1/4 converter plugged into the line-in input and it didn't work. Thanks
gemmaconnington

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:24 pm

gemmaconnington wrote:What cable to I need to connect the irig acoustic to my mixer? I tried a 1/8 cable with a 1/4 converter plugged into the line-in input and it didn't work. Thanks

You still need to connect iRig Acoustic to an iOS device and then you can run the headphone out to your mixer.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby gemmaconnington » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:37 pm

[quote
You still need to connect iRig Acoustic to an iOS device and then you can run the headphone out to your mixer.[/quote]
I get that I need my iPad for it to work, I need to know exactly what kind of cable to use. Was the fact I used an adapter why it didn't work?
gemmaconnington

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:18 pm

gemmaconnington wrote:I get that I need my iPad for it to work, I need to know exactly what kind of cable to use. Was the fact I used an adapter why it didn't work?

You would normally use a 1/8" stereo to dual 1/4" TRS.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby enriquebarton@msn.com » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:05 pm

I purchase a new iRig acoustic mic interface and have not been able to connect it.

When I plug the cable to my iPad, the free iRig app does not show.

Maybe the product I bought is defective?

Thanks for your help

Enrique Barton
Phone: 305.926.4455
enriquebarton@msn.com

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:59 am

enriquebarton@msn.com wrote:I purchase a new iRig acoustic mic interface and have not been able to connect it.

When I plug the cable to my iPad, the free iRig app does not show.

Maybe the product I bought is defective?

Thanks for your help

Enrique Barton
Phone: 305.926.4455

Please report technical issues to IK Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-sup ... -hardware/ and they will assist you. Note that the free AmpliTube Acoustic for iOS is available on the App Store and does not automatically download. You can get it on the App Store at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amplitu ... 41801?mt=8
Peter_IK
Kingpin

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements