AmpliTube UA app for all Android devices released

Breaking news, announcements, promotions and general important information from IK Multimedia

Re: AmpliTube UA app for all Android devices released

Postby dave.fox » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:46 pm

No, but I will.

Today was the first time I tried sideloading the app onto my tablet to see if it worked.
dave.fox

Postby Burillo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:02 am

just yesterday i was searching for info on whether Android finally improved their latency (they have, but not enough to matter), and today i stumble upon this. great job IK! will most likely order it some time in the future.

i don't usually use mobile phone to record anything, but this will come in handy in a certain scenario - namely, coming to a music store and plugging in a guitar into this, because i want to hear how the guitar will sound with my setup.

thank you IK! you finally convinced me to buy your hardware :D
Burillo

Postby Burillo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:26 pm

just got the iRig UA, here are my thoughts so far.

Pros:
  • Amp simulation on Android! Finally! And compatible with not just Crapsung devices, but with my x86-based tablet as well!
  • Low latency. Like, non-existent.
  • Models derived from Amplitube. Obviously that's a plus!
  • The iRig UA interface is decent - low noise, low distortion.

Cons:
  • VERY limited selection of gear.
  • Good-sounding gear has to be purchased, default stuff is OK at best.
  • Inability to demo gear. This is a big one! I expected the Soldano to be on the level of its desktop counterpart, but it sucks in Amplitube UA - hence i wasted 9 EUR. Inability to demo gear makes purchasing gear pretty much guesswork, so i'll be wary of purchasing anything else until we get the ability to demo.
  • Very awkward to use. In particular, it is hard to turn knobs as app constantly misconstrues my commands as sliding the amp face plate instead.
  • No landscape mode with wide amp faceplate
  • Crashes a lot, hangs a lot. Doesn't take multitasking too well.
  • Can't do input overdrive (i.e. turning up amp input volume as opposed to interface input volume), so metal distortion sounds wimpy no matter how much gain i dial in. Wish it had a Slash booster pedal, to push the amps over the edge.
  • Out of date with iOS app.
  • No clip like on iRig 2

Overall, i'm pleased with my purchase, but would like to see this greatly improved (Amplitube 4 for Android coming? Please?)
Last edited by Burillo on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burillo

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:34 pm

Thank you for the input, gear opinions, and issues - please report the crashes and any other issues like that to support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support so they can look into it further.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Burillo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:39 pm

yes, i plan on doing that later, once i get enough time to dedicate to trying and reproducing the issues i encountered.

does iOS version allow demoing gear? (as in, can we expect this in the near future on Android, or are we stuck with the current situation for the foreseeable future)
Burillo

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:44 pm

The only way to demo gear for iOS as well is to listen to the audio demos, etc. The functionality has been requested on iOS and Android, though. In the case of iOS at this point we're lucky to be able to demo the desktop version since it is the same code now :)
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby cammyjee » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:27 am

Is the iRig UA compatible with the blueboard. And if not, how come?
cammyjee

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:38 am

cammyjee wrote:Is the iRig UA compatible with the blueboard. And if not, how come?

iRig BlueBoard is not compatible with Android OS devices (though it has nothing to do with the interface iRig UA) because to transmit MIDI over BlueTooth a MIDI implementation like CoreMIDI is required and Android OS does not have this elegant driverless MIDI implementation like iOS and OS X do. Core Audio and CoreMIDI are two very powerful yet oft-overlooked aspects of iOS and/or OS X that provide low-level built-in and solid support for the audio and MIDI tools Apple users use with little to no hassle.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Burillo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:47 am

which IK hardware is compatible with iRig UA/Android, if at all?
Burillo

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:03 pm

Burillo wrote:which IK hardware is compatible with iRig UA/Android, if at all?

iRig UA is an interface with DSP so it doesn't have companion hardware. iRig BlueBoard is not compatible due to the requirements for proper MIDI handling over Bluetooth which are more built-in with iOS and OS X (due to Core MIDI mostly). Other interfaces are compatible with Android (like iRig 2, iRig HD-A) but to get low-latency audio processing for apps like AmpliTube for Samsung Pro Audio you'd need a device that supports (as you might guess from the app name) Samsung Pro Audio.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby psychok7 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Does iRig UA work on a Nexus 5?? do i need to root it or its just plug and play??

cheers
psychok7

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:54 am

psychok7 wrote:Does iRig UA work on a Nexus 5?? do i need to root it or its just plug and play??

cheers

iRig UA works on Android devices running Android 4.2 or higher and support Host Mode/USB OTG.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby mathias.augenstein » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:54 am

I can't download AmpliTubeUA from Google's PlayStore onto my phone. PlayStore say's the version is not compatible with my device.

My device is Nexus 4 with Android 5.1.1.

Any idea????

------

It seems that USB/OTG support is missing on the Nexus 4.
mathias.augenstein

Postby gueniik » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:37 am

Hi,
I've recently bought iRig UA and I would say I'm quite pleased with the sound. And it serves its purpose - staying creative outside of your home studio carrying only your guitar and your phone. But I have a question - I have Note 4 (it already comes with Samsung Pro Audio) and it comes with Soundcamp. But Soundcamp doesn't seem to recognize Amplitube UA on my phone... It would only see Amlitube Free for android... How do I get it to work with iRig UA and Amplitube UA? I want to record a few tracks to play along but it seems imposible.

Thanks in advance for your help.
gueniik

Postby cw4ug » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:04 pm

Hi

I am using one of the first iRig UA and I am happy from the beginning.
However I am missing three things:

1. The possibility to save and load the presets, e.g. as storable preset banks.
There are 20 amp models, a huge number of stomp boxes and hundreds of knobs.
And there are 15 (!) presets to save the combinations out of these gears.
I have no chance to store new combinations for testing without losing one of my existing 15 presets as there is now way of saving and reloading them. Or I have not been able to find it yet?

2. Landscape mode.
Especially on a tablet this would increase usability.

3. Off-switch.
So far I have not found a method to stop the AmpliTube app rather than shutting down the tablet. Even disconnecting the iRig only stops the audio i/o but not the app.

My hopes that these things will come with an update for AmpliTube UA are dying slowly. I am afraid that there is not much support for this product?!
cw4ug

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements