Announcing AmpliTube TONEX - coming September 29th

Breaking news, announcements, promotions and general important information from IK Multimedia

Re: Announcing AmpliTube TONEX

Postby carlaz » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:39 pm

huli50 wrote:One thing I was wondering about is if a tone model captures an amp and cab, will any of the amp parameters be adjustable once the tone model is created?

My sense is, "no" -- or, at least, "not to the extent that you can control parameters on the digital models of gear in AmpliTube".

TONEX looks to me like (and perhaps pardon the oversimplification) an "in-the-box Kemper killer". :mrgreen: That is, it looks to me like TONEX is about capturing a particular "snapshot" ("Tone Model", in TONEX parlance) of processing for a guitar signal -- and that snapshot could include, or not, all kinds of specific gear from a single effect to complex chains of pedals, amps, cabs, mic, rack units, what-have-you -- and then being able to apply that "Tone Model" to whatever other signal you send to it.

In other words, while AmpliTube provides digital simluations of how real pieces of individual gear work, and then you can combine those individual simulations in various ways and (because they are simulations) adjust their (simulated) parameters, TONEX captures and reproduces the specific characteristics of a complete chain of real gear (however simple or complex) and let's you re-apply those specific characteristics.

Thus, I don't think you can make changes to a TONEX Tone Model as you can with AmpliTube gear models.

Also, I think this makes the comparison with a Kemper is fairly appropriate -- except that, of course, TONEX is going to do this all in software on a computer/device you already own, and thus lists for considerably less than a complete Kemper hardware-based system.

And that is why I characterize TONEX as an "in-the-box Kemper killer" :mrgreen: at least in studio situations. I recognize that for many touring musicians, having a dedicated and robust hardware device like a Kemper is going to remain attractive for playing live. But I bet many studios (especially smaller studios) are going to love TONEX (assuming it gets and keeps a repuation for quality).

I mean, think about it: a musician could capture "Tone Models" of their preferred real gear in various combinations -- just some pedals, or just an amp head, or just an amp/cab combination, etc. -- and then you could go and record or mix with those Tone Models in any studio that had TONEX installed just by sending them your Tone Models or carrying them along on a thumb drive or something. No need to lug that Kemper hardware around (or even buy it). This ought to be hugely attractive to to studios and musicians.

Plus, since TONEX Tone Models will apparently be shareable through ToneNET or otherwise shareable as AmpliTube presets currently are, this implies a huge ecosystem of people freely sharing and/or selling their TONEX Tone Models (as already the case with AmpliTube presets).

Moreover, I think it's largely a matter of time -- and perhaps less time than we think -- until there would be hardly any remaining motivation for people playing live to want to fall back on the comfort of a big chunk of profiling hardware. It may not be that you would necessarily feel comfortable today with replacing your Kemper head with TONEX on your phone, but .... Well, computing power just keeps advancing, doesn't it?

huli50 wrote:Also, can you bring in a tone model for an amp and still add Amplitube stomps, rack effects, and other stuff in a mix-and-match virtual rig? I've noticed, based on the various IK tone models for pedals, it seems the model only reflects a snapshot of the stomp parameters.

It looks to me like the answer is "yes". It looks like TONEX snapshots/profiles are intended to live within AmpliTube, and the videos demo'ing the creation of TONEX (e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4922dB9BmNw) as well as the list of IKM-produced Tone Models (https://download.ikmultimedia.com/html/tonex/TONEX_Premium_Tone_Models.pdf) show that given Tone Models can be designated as one of "Amp and Cab", "Complex Rig", "Stomp", "Amp", or "Stomp and Amp" at the time of creation. Presumably, if you have a given Tone Model, you can drop that into AmpliTube and it will (I am guessing) take it's place in the AmpliTube chain depending on how it was designated at creation. So, I presume, you can drop a TONEX Tone Model of a given pedal into the stomp section of the normal AmpliTube chain but you could put normal AmpliTube amp/cab models after it, or an "Amp and Cab" TONEX Tone Model would take up the amp head and cab room portions of the AmpliTube chain but you could put normal AmpliTube stomp models in front of or normal AmpliTube rack models behind the "Amp and Cab" TONEX Tone Model, etc.

This brings us -- or me, at least :lol: -- to musing on who TONEX is really for. There's obviously overlap with what AmpliTube does, and the apparent interoperability is very cool, though TONEX is clearly quite a different beast than AmpliTube.

TONEX looks killer if you have, or have access to, specific gear that you want to model. It seems perfect for musicians or studio owners/operators who have exactly that. The ability to model specific chains not only makes those chains isntantly and easily portable, they are also instantly and easily "recallable" (and all without special hardware).

Access to others Tone Models is also great if you do not like tweaking either real or simulated gear. AmpliTube 5 is getting impressively accurate in its modeling, but with great accuracy comes great complexity. :lol: ToneNET is a great aid to players who are happiest just flipping through presets, and access to a world of others' TONEX Tone Models does essentially the same thing. Find one you like, and go.

That said, I am not sure how much the simple existance of TONEX necessarily means to me personally. Other than a few physical pedals, I hardly have any gear to model -- and though it would be fun to model my pedals, I'm not sure it's worth it. :lol: Skimming through the official list of pre-made Tone Models (https://download.ikmultimedia.com/html/ ... Models.pdf), my main thoughts were along the lines of "Oh, they captured a model of that piece of gear? I hope they model it for AmpliTube!" :mrgreen: And this is because, after all, I don't really know how any given Tone Model will sound. This makes me (though studio owners/operators might well feel differently) a little leary of investing heavily in the "regular" or "Max" versions of ToneNet, which seem to essentially represent access to more IKM-produced Tone Models out of the box. As noted, some of these Tone Models (mostly in Max) use gear that is noticeably absent from current AmpliTube, but far from all. For my part, I would mostly be hoping that the wider TONEX ecosystem eventually provides access (free or purchased) to Tone Models that model more gear that is not already in AmpliTube -- since AmpliTube's modeling is already quite good enough for my purposes, and I'm more excited by the possibilities for "new gear", regardless of whether it comes in the form of functional digital models (AmpliTube) or "snapshots" of particular chains (TONEX).

So, I think TONEX is a great product for IKM to be releaseing -- it's basically the first software-only product of this kind -- and great news for people with physical gear they want to model without the bother of expensive and bulky hardware. I am less sure that it's something that makes a huge difference to me ... though this may depend principally on how the wider "3rd-party" TONEX ecosystem evolves, as well as the continuing leaps and bounds taking place in digital modelling (i.e. AmpliTube itself).

There was a time when I would have doubted that digital modeling would ever be capable of replacing actual hardware, but while that time may still not have formally arrived, one kind of feels like it's effectively inevitable within the near future. I feel like profiling/snapshoting specific chains was something that emerged as a solution for people who needed not just quality digital convenience and reproduceability that was not yet available through digital modeling itself. I think TONEX will be highly successful with that market for the immediate future, though I also wonder whether in the longer run whether the main competition to TONEX (or similar technologies) will not just be digital modeling (e.g. AmpliTube) itself.
Last edited by carlaz on Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby carlaz » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:42 pm

Peter_IK wrote:If you take a look at the Player/Editor on the AmpliTube TONEX pages, you can see some of the available adjustments you'll have post-capture on the Tone Models like EQ, presence, gain, plus the noise gate, compressor, and reverb which can help you shape the sounds more post-capture. We should have a video coming soon on the Player/Editor that will show these in action.

My guesses stand corrected there! :lol: It would be interesting to see in futher videos how TONEX Tone Models interoperate with AmpliTube 5. :ugeek:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby blueskyvisions » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:15 pm

I was really happy to see this! If you've done it right—and I'm confident you have—this will be a Kemper-killer. :shock:

I was checking out the list of models. We have the usual suspects and some genuinely awesome best-of-breed additions with Dumble and Klon, wow 8-)

I was hoping to see more boutique brands in the "MAX" group. Any chance you'll be adding Matchless, Bad Cat, Carr, Morgan, Fuchs, Tone King, Two Rock, Suhr, Divided by 13, Magnatone, and (more) Victory—I see the V40 hiding in there? Those are the amps most modelers don't have. Adding those would elevate this platform to the next level. I hope you'll think about it :D
blueskyvisions

Postby huli50 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:39 pm

carlaz wrote:For my part, I would mostly be hoping that the wider TONEX ecosystem eventually provides access (free or purchased) to Tone Models that model more gear that is not already in AmpliTube

I am with you here. I would like to think that TONEX users would share models of their unique gear that Amplitube currently doesn't model. That would only feed into my gear-acquisition issues, especially if users start sharing their more elite gear. It's no surprise that the more coveted IK tone models (Alexander Finnegan) are reserved for TONEX Max. The Custom Shop nature of the platform makes me hopeful that these models would be available a la carte at some point instead of me buying Max. Alternatively, if a TONEX user wants to sell their tone model of a Two Rock, I could see me forking over some coin for it. Though with paid tone models, I'd be concerned how I could verify it was indeed a Two Rock they modeled instead of just an amp-in-a-box pedal, because, you know, I've never played a Two Rock. Lots of different facets to explore once it's launched. Excited to see how this will unfold.
huli50

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:41 pm

Well users will be able to share via ToneNET from the go... and we definitely have things that aren't already in AmpliTube if you check that huge list. Including a $150,000 or so amp (and yes we still own it) and a very sought-after pedal we've never done as the most rare highlights.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby huli50 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:42 pm

Peter_IK wrote:If you take a look at the Player/Editor on the AmpliTube TONEX pages, you can see some of the available adjustments you'll have post-capture on the Tone Models like EQ, presence, gain, plus the noise gate, compressor, and reverb which can help you shape the sounds more post-capture. We should have a video coming soon on the Player/Editor that will show these in action.

Thanks, Peter, for the response. Can't wait to hear more.
huli50

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:55 pm

No problem. I hope I can get around to capturing some of my stuff. Pedals should be easy-peasy so my custom "P-Fuzz" (a REALLY hot custom version of a Pfeiffer Fuzz-O with the octave and fuzz circuits split and switchable) would be a good unique one to put in there.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:35 am

blueskyvisions wrote:We have the usual suspects and some genuinely awesome best-of-breed additions with Dumble and Klon, wow 8-)

Yes, I too quickly spotted the Dumble and the Klon amongst the official Tone Models -- those are two frequently requested gear models for AmpliTube, too. (Though I'm not sure IKM could justify selling a hypothetical Dumble gear model for anything close to the price of, say, the Tiny Terror model! :lol: )

I was also pleased to see the Marshall Super Bass making an appearance (although I still think it really is a bass amp! :mrgreen: ), as well as what seems like a "standard" Superlead. Both of those would be welcome in AmpliTube as well!

And, I did spot a Laney amongst the Tone Models, but only the VC30 -- which, OK, though it wouldn't be my first choice of Laneys. :D

And, then, amongst other things, I was pleased to spot a Russian Big Muff -- though I actually have a real one of those. I suppose its pre-existence would save me from "capturing" it myself. :lol:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby loudguitars99 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:19 am

Is the Tonex Capture a separate purchase than the Tonex Max?
loudguitars99

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:44 pm

loudguitars99 wrote:Is the Tonex Capture a separate purchase than the Tonex Max?

TONEX Capture is hardware so yes. You do get TONEX SE included with TONEX Capture though.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby loudguitars99 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:01 pm

So if I understand you right Tonex Max can't do any modeling and is just a player? I've already got an Axe I/O and AmpliTube 5 MAX. If I upgrade to Tonex MAX all I'll get is the ability to play Tones captures and the included presets?

Thanks,
Bob
loudguitars99

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:36 pm

loudguitars99 wrote:So if I understand you right Tonex Max can't do any modeling and is just a player? I've already got an Axe I/O and AmpliTube 5 MAX. If I upgrade to Tonex MAX all I'll get is the ability to play Tones captures and the included presets?

Thanks,
Bob

TONEX has multiple components, for the software you can capture with anything from SE on up and those versions can also play the Tone Models (and include some great ones, more in each larger tier). TONEX MAX would include all of the 1000 Tone Models listed on the TONEX web pages, with the ability to capture as well. You get quite a lot with TONEX MAX.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby blueskyvisions » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:13 pm

Please upload sound clips of a few captures from each level. I need to hear these before I decide which package to buy. It would be awesome if we had audio examples from each package; especially the new stuff. (Preferably before the pre-release special ends.)

Thanks,
Rich
blueskyvisions

Postby whitehartlane1 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:50 am

on website if you click on computer requirements in yellow it takes you to wrong page?
what are the requirements please for tone x?thank you
i have retina 5k
3.4ghz
quad core i5
graphics radion pro 570 4gb
32gb ram
whitehartlane1

Postby huli50 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:07 am

Another thought, how genius it is of IK to develop something like TONEX and Tone.net. Essentially, this will put the Amplitube user community in position to grow the Amplitube preset library and the modeled gear library well beyond what IK does by themselves. And this will only make me want to use Amplitube even more, exploring new stuff and discovering new sounds. Tone.net has grown to some 3600 presets in only the first few months of operation. Hopefully the TONEX side of Tone.net has the same amount of participation.
huli50

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements