Master Match X - Limiter Question

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Master Match X - Limiter Question

Postby mochelmusic » Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:45 pm

Hey everyone.

I LOVE the new Master Match X - makes Mastering for quick turnaround TV cues super simple - especially with the references. But I also need to deliver stems to my publisher with no Limiter on them.

Stupid question but if I turn the Limiter knob to 0 I'm assuming it removes the Limiter from the processing chain. Is that correct?
mochelmusic

Re: Master Match X - Limiter Question

Postby fragletrollet » Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:53 pm

I also like the plugin, the eq curve matching is helpful (albeit a tad limited) and the compression action sounds very nice.

There are a few things I'd like to see improved upon though:

-Where did the loudness matcher parameter go from the version in T5?

-How is the compressor set up to work? Does increasing the compression knob increase the gain into a fixed threshold, is the compression ratio changing with higher value of the compression knob? Is a low input with high compression the same as high input and low compression? (disregarding vintage mode or other saturation type artifacts)

-Same with the Limiter; fixed threshold, and we're just adjusting the gain into it?

As with all the plugins, please add a generic input and output fader so we can have full control over the levels between plugins in the chain. Also, why are you using these arbitrary numbers for the parameter controls? Please refer to dBfs, not arbitrary 0-10 scales when it comes to gain, threshold etc. I can live with it for a LA-2A style "more or less compression" type knob, but in software there is no good reason not to adhere to factual dB scales that actually means something to the engineer using the gear. In analog equipment, different in/output impedances (and ofcourse tolerances of analog parts) can alter the exact amount of gain you'd get out of a specific degree of turn of a "gain knob" (attenuator) or switch; but in software, it honestly makes me think that the person that is making the interface is not understanding how the design really works, or perhaps worse, think the customer is too ignorant to want to know about it.

The ridiculous tutorial videos (sorry, not completely sure these are official) really underlines what market IK seems to aim for. A pity, because the models behind several of the plugins are pretty great...
fragletrollet

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox