Sound quality difference on Tonex pedal?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Re: Sound quality difference on Tonex pedal?

Postby bartlettpsj786 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:36 am

jhall123 wrote:
dcoyle68 wrote:OK support reached back to me and to switch between live and interface mode besides switching in the menu you also have to make sure you are bypassed on the pedal. now the sound the same. In the future could we make it so that when we are using it as an interface to check tone models from tone.net and we are in interface mode that it bypasses the pedal? It might save some confusion? just my 2 cents.

Respectfully

David

This!
I found it is best to use a separate interface and the TONEX pedal just as a "sound generator.

I don't quite understand, are you saying you shouldn't use the Tonex pedal as both input and output? Or is there a way to bypass the pedal's normal function when using as an interface?

Btw I have the same - the quality is far less on the Tonex software compared to pedal. Didn't realize it was the interface.
bartlettpsj786

Postby bartlettpsj786 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:47 pm

bartlettpsj786 wrote:
jhall123 wrote:
dcoyle68 wrote:OK support reached back to me and to switch between live and interface mode besides switching in the menu you also have to make sure you are bypassed on the pedal. now the sound the same. In the future could we make it so that when we are using it as an interface to check tone models from tone.net and we are in interface mode that it bypasses the pedal? It might save some confusion? just my 2 cents.

Respectfully

David

This!
I found it is best to use a separate interface and the TONEX pedal just as a "sound generator.

Replying to my own message - I went into a Preset settings and set Amp to Bypass and Cab to Bypass, alongside reducing input trim to -6dB in Global settings and this thing sounds great as an audio interface. I am using Tonex software instead of Pedal models and it is very good,
I don't quite understand, are you saying you shouldn't use the Tonex pedal as both input and output? Or is there a way to bypass the pedal's normal function when using as an interface?

Btw I have the same - the quality is far less on the Tonex software compared to pedal. Didn't realize it was the interface.
bartlettpsj786

Postby Brandon77777 » Wed May 01, 2024 6:07 am

@ bartlettpsj786 - what is your set up for recording through seperate interface? I want to use the tonex in combination w/ pedals (gain pedals before tonex pedal, then modulation pedals, then scarlette 2i2 interface)

Which output do you use to successfully do this? Phones to trs -> dual mono ts cable to interface? Or just mono output to the mono input of the scarlette interface? Do you not recommend it? Do you only use pedals prior to the tonex pedal and use the vst plug in’s modulation pedals? Noone on the internet is very clear about this… what is optimal for highest quality? Just using as an interface? (I’m fine with this but then can’t use modulation pedals)

Just curious what you think works best.. would really appreciate some tips.
(Ps. I did not recieve the tonex pedal yet - asking in advance)

Thank you
Brandon77777

Postby bartlettpsj123 » Thu May 02, 2024 12:33 am

Brandon77777 wrote:@ bartlettpsj786 - what is your set up for recording through seperate interface? I want to use the tonex in combination w/ pedals (gain pedals before tonex pedal, then modulation pedals, then scarlette 2i2 interface)

Which output do you use to successfully do this? Phones to trs -> dual mono ts cable to interface? Or just mono output to the mono input of the scarlette interface? Do you not recommend it? Do you only use pedals prior to the tonex pedal and use the vst plug in’s modulation pedals? Noone on the internet is very clear about this… what is optimal for highest quality? Just using as an interface? (I’m fine with this but then can’t use modulation pedals)

Just curious what you think works best.. would really appreciate some tips.
(Ps. I did not recieve the tonex pedal yet - asking in advance)

Thank you

Brandon,

I have various setups. These days I actually mostly use my Quad Cortex. I can use the QC as an audio interface and it's a very good one. So I run Tonex app / plug-in and can put pedals in front and also I can use the QC effects. I don't really see any perceivable latency behind the nor al.

I still have my Tonex pedal and can use that as an audio interface with ToneX (and Amplitube) software. When I do I just connect TRS outputs to my monitor speakers (HS8). I need to setup as mentioned earlier (you can even press the up and down buttons simultaneously to disable the audio processing of the tonex). It is a good audio interface. Not as good as the QC.

But TBH I still find that Tonex software isn't quite as hi-fi as using it as a pedal. I should try and experiment to see as there have been updates. I know there was a hullabaloo over the input signal settings on Tonex. Maybe it's better now. I'll report back.

Btw I do not really use pedals at all. I prefer to use QC effects!

I do have a crappy Steinberg UR22 interface and it's not very good, so avoid that and use QC as the audio interface. I think Tonex is also better.

And finally, I would recommend trying out Helix Native with Tonex as an audio interface. It's far better than many solutions. The amps are decent (some better than others), but the effects are really good. And it's an all-in-one solution. It's expensive for just a plug-in and I am only on the trial atm.
bartlettpsj123

Postby Brandon77777 » Thu May 02, 2024 2:17 am

Hi Bart,

Thanks for the quick response! This is all great information, I really appreciate the detail. I was looking into the QC but obviously quite the price difference.. I actually have just recently purchased a few Ne_ral plug ins and felt there must be better out there.. :x which is actually what led me to AmpliTube/tonex, was like getting only a whiff of what it could be.. Definitely an improvement so far though! Just itching for more..

A lot of reviews said having the physical pedal would make a difference , so i bought it. On top, it seems my scarlette 2i2 seems to be having issues with windows 11.. so i guess i will be using it as an interface no matter what - sounds like you think this will be a significant improvement though! My original goal was to use the pedal as an amp and record that into my interface - and was wondering the best way to connect that (ie. stereo TRS out phones jack, or direct dual outputs into 2 mono inputs on scarlette). With this new knowledge, i guess i will plan to use it as an interface, so nvm that, but will definitely check out helix software!! Thanks for the suggestion. So far i like the demo's i'm hearing on tonex/AmpliTube - but without the pedal its hard to see the value over _.. very glad to hear you think this will be an upgrade!

So if i understand correctly, your recommendation would be Tonex pedal as interface (no pedals before? - bummer but i trust you :( ) , and keep the audio processing of the pedal off? (using only plugins). Or did you mean it sounds better using it's audio process instead of the software? - sorry for the mass questions, i just am slightly confused. "But TBH I still find that Tonex software isn't quite as hi-fi as using it as a pedal." - curious what you meant by this exactly.

Maybe I can list options below and you tell me preference? Again, thank you so much..

1) Tonex as interface ONLY , plugins on DAW , no pedals prior to tonex
2) Tonex as interface with audio processing for amp on pedal itself
3) Tonex as pedal into an even better interface? (maybe even a 2nd tonex ? ;)

Hope this was clearer, looking very much forward to your response! Thank you so much!! I was hardly expecting an answer tbh :D Really appreciate it
Brandon77777

Postby Justonhhand » Thu May 02, 2024 7:51 am

davidjcoyle wrote:i tried lowering the trim but still have the same issue that I can't figure out. So I recorded it straight in to Logic and all I am doing is changing the operation from live to interface with the same preset and you can hear the difference.

https://soundcloud.com/tonemasterus/ton ... al_sharingwebweb

Nobody else is experiencing this? Is my unit faulty?
Justonhhand

Postby bartlettpsj123 » Thu May 02, 2024 4:47 pm

So I retried my Tonex pedal and updated for to the latest firmware 1.23 (from 1.09).

I can say that it does sound a bit better and latencies are definitely reduced as an audio interface compared to last time I used it (many months back).

BUT the Tonex software and pedal audio quality are not identical afaik. They are close, but you can hear better fidelity in the pedal vs interface. It's not much and not big problem. Tweaking with the input trim (pedal) / input signal (software) etc can get them even closer. But in terms of fidelity, I mean the lows are lower and cleaner, less muddy -- there just feels a higher quality of sound from the pedal. But it is not much any more.

Last night I did actually use the Tonex pedal as an audio interface but used Helix Native. It was really good. Really low latency and great sounds. With Helix native, you less worry about the actual amp tone, as there are so many effects you can add to your sound, that you worry less.

All in all, the Tonex pedal is a great - both as a pedal and audio interface. From my perspective what IK lack is the quality and usability of effects vs Helix and others. AmpliTube really is not so comprehensive and I do not enjoy it. Hopefully they address that one day.
bartlettpsj123

Postby Brandon77777 » Thu May 02, 2024 10:59 pm

Hi Bart,

That is great feedback, thank you so much for digging back into it!!

That is perfectly clear, i’ll make sure i have another interface that is preparred before i get this pedal - as i dont plan to purchase additional plug ins yet — YET! (Just got a whole pedalboard set up and want to use it) I have gone back and forth after creating pre-sets so many times with other amps or softwares and then realizing it was all a waste as there was a different order to my set up that would have been higher quality, i just did not want to commit to another purchase, and spend days tweaking the sound using the wrong method :oops: so this really is fantastic information, and i think it was severely missing from the internet, so thank you for doing this for all of us out there!

Even so, no matter what i am now confident this is the right purchase, as you have had success with the pedal and other plug ins - making this a long term great purchase, so i am quite excited! From what i’ve seen i must agree about AmpliTube - hense why i wanted to use actual pedals to begin with. Seems i will use as pedal for now, and long term, when im ready to drop more money ill just switch it to being the interface! And use the plug ins you’ve suggested. Sounds perfect to me, thank you very much! Definitely proceeding with this purchase. And will keep the rest in mind for the future! Incredible.

Thank you so so much, excellent excellent information, seriously.

justonhhand i don’t have the pedal yet so i dont know.. but regardless get outta logic and get yourself ableton!
Brandon77777

Previous

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling